100 Crunches A Day for Two Weeks

Options

Replies

• JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! How can it hurt to start a new good habit?
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Hate to rain on your parade but 100 or 10,000 crunches a day is focusing on the wrong the thing if you want to "get abs" diet is 95% of it

^^ 100% agree with this, maybe try 100 squats a day instead?

instead of crunches try planks of 30 seconds x whatever you like...
  • Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Im in I will do mines tonight
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Wow 100 seemed a lot to me when I currently do none noway:

So I've been on Utube to see how I should go about crunching and have opted to use my exercise ball to support my dodgy back.

Great idea thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Day two crunches done. :) Hope you are all doing fantastic!!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    14 days have to be continuous - no days off

Aren't days off important for allowing muscles to recover?
  • Julie3ang
    Options
    another 100 bicycles done.
  • uidb5259
    uidb5259 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    200 down and 1200 left to go!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Aren't days off important for allowing muscles to recover?

Please stop being silly
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    START DATE: September 4
    END DATE: September 18

Good Luck!

The challenge is to do 100 crunches a day, every day, for two week. All varieties of crunches count towards the total. Time to get those abs!

100 crunches a day for 2 weeks Challenge rules

You don't have to do 100 in one go per day - you can take a break (but maybe build to 100 continuous?)
    Any kind of crunches count!
    Not all types of physical activity are suitable for everyone. Users take Challenges and training advice at their own personal risk.

http://tribesports.com/challenges/100-crunches-a-day-for-2-weeks

Hate to rain on your parade but 100 or 10,000 crunches a day is focusing on the wrong the thing if you want to "get abs" diet is 95% of it

Agreed. Time and energy could be much better spent.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    185067_381674598568268_67111364_n.jpg

Fuggin loled for real and then saved this chit
  • ClaudiaF77
    Options

Good Luck!

The challenge is to do 100 crunches a day, every day, for two week. All varieties of crunches count towards the total. Time to get those abs!

You don't have to do 100 in one go per day - you can take a break (but maybe build to 100 continuous?)
    Not all types of physical activity are suitable for everyone. Users take Challenges and training advice at their own personal risk.

[sarcasm] Oh no, alas, I have never heard this before, and obviously am not doing this because it sounds like fun. No, fun is a terrible reason for doing anything.[/sarcasm]

Day 2, done and dusted.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Good Luck!

[sarcasm] Oh no, alas, I have never heard this before, and obviously am not doing this because it sounds like fun. No, fun is a terrible reason for doing anything.[/sarcasm]

Day 2, done and dusted.

If it is fun for you then great. But the fact is many years of gimmicky marketing have led people to believe that doing crunches and other ab exercises is a great way to lose belly fat which is obviously not true. We don't need the sentiment perpetuated.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't get what's wrong with this challenge. No where did anyone say that they are doing these crunches to lose fat around their waist. Most people are doing it for fun. I have to laugh at the naysayers when it comes to crunches, those who say they aren't necessary. They ARE necessary! They strengthen your core muscles the ones that hold your body up, keep you erect and the ones that you use all the time! Not only that but a strong core supports your back which will help eliminate injuries.

Crunch on my friends!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't get what's wrong with this challenge. No where did anyone say that they are doing these crunches to lose fat around their waist. Most people are doing it for fun. I have to laugh at the naysayers when it comes to crunches, those who say they aren't necessary. They ARE necessary! They strengthen your core muscles the ones that hold your body up, keep you erect and the ones that you use all the time! Not only that but a strong core supports your back which will help eliminate injuries.

Crunch on my friends!

Performing core exercise every day might help you burn calories, but you probably won't build more muscle than if you train every other day, and you might experience repetitive stress injuries. Consider spacing out your ab exercises, or performing different exercises each workout if you will be exercising every day. For most people, working your abs two or three times each week is more than enough.

Building Core Muscles
    If you want to increase the size of your abs, you'll first need to damage them. Muscle grow larger in response to the repair process that occurs when muscles get damaged. When you feel a burning in your muscles, you are experiencing microtears in the muscle fibers. This triggers a process called hypertrophy, which is the repair process that makes your muscles rebuild and get bigger. Most of this process takes place 24 to 48 hours after you exercise, so leave at least 24 hours between workouts.

Change It Up
    To give your muscle more time to repair and recover, perform different exercises if you are going to work your core each day. For example, do sits-ups, crunches, leg lifts and hip raises that have you moving forward and back one day. The next day, work your obliques by using side-to-side exercises, such as Russian twists, bicycle kicks or oblique crunches.

Different Workouts
    Varying your workouts can help increase the benefit from daily ab workouts by changing how you use your muscles and to what degree. Create ab workouts using floor exercises, a kettlebell, an ab wheel and a gym ball. Don't use all of these in one workout -- use different equipment and exercises each day. You can use all these exercises in one workout if you are only exercising two or three times per week.

Burning Calories
    The best way to build your muscles is to perform your exercises slowly, using resistance on the way up, pausing and holding the lift, then lowering slowly, with muscle. For example, when you do a pull-up or sit-up, you'll get more muscle-building benefit if you slowly lower yourself with muscle, rather than drop back down with gravity. Exercising this way is more difficult and you'll fatigue faster than if you work quicker, with less muscular effort. To burn calories with core exercises, perform them quicker and with less intensity so you can exercise longer and create a greater calorie burn. Less-intense ab workouts might be more appropriate for every day training.

Injury
    Working your abs every day can lead to repetitive stress injuries. If you place your hands behind your head when you do sit-ups and crunches, you may start to use your arms to help pull you up as you get tired. This can place a strain on your neck and lower back. The more you perform any type of difficult core exercise, the more you will fatigue and the more likely it is you may perform a compensatory movement to help make the exercise easier. This increases your chance of injury.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/354965-is-it-good-to-work-out-your-abs-every-day/#ixzz25hGMdMPG
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Crunch on my friends!

Performing core exercise every day might help you burn calories, but you probably won't build more muscle than if you train every other day, and you might experience repetitive stress injuries. Consider spacing out your ab exercises, or performing different exercises each workout if you will be exercising every day. For most people, working your abs two or three times each week is more than enough.

Building Core Muscles
    If you want to increase the size of your abs, you'll first need to damage them. Muscle grow larger in response to the repair process that occurs when muscles get damaged. When you feel a burning in your muscles, you are experiencing microtears in the muscle fibers. This triggers a process called hypertrophy, which is the repair process that makes your muscles rebuild and get bigger. Most of this process takes place 24 to 48 hours after you exercise, so leave at least 24 hours between workouts.

Change It Up
    To give your muscle more time to repair and recover, perform different exercises if you are going to work your core each day. For example, do sits-ups, crunches, leg lifts and hip raises that have you moving forward and back one day. The next day, work your obliques by using side-to-side exercises, such as Russian twists, bicycle kicks or oblique crunches.

Different Workouts
    Varying your workouts can help increase the benefit from daily ab workouts by changing how you use your muscles and to what degree. Create ab workouts using floor exercises, a kettlebell, an ab wheel and a gym ball. Don't use all of these in one workout -- use different equipment and exercises each day. You can use all these exercises in one workout if you are only exercising two or three times per week.

Burning Calories
    The best way to build your muscles is to perform your exercises slowly, using resistance on the way up, pausing and holding the lift, then lowering slowly, with muscle. For example, when you do a pull-up or sit-up, you'll get more muscle-building benefit if you slowly lower yourself with muscle, rather than drop back down with gravity. Exercising this way is more difficult and you'll fatigue faster than if you work quicker, with less muscular effort. To burn calories with core exercises, perform them quicker and with less intensity so you can exercise longer and create a greater calorie burn. Less-intense ab workouts might be more appropriate for every day training.

Injury
    Working your abs every day can lead to repetitive stress injuries. If you place your hands behind your head when you do sit-ups and crunches, you may start to use your arms to help pull you up as you get tired. This can place a strain on your neck and lower back. The more you perform any type of difficult core exercise, the more you will fatigue and the more likely it is you may perform a compensatory movement to help make the exercise easier. This increases your chance of injury.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/354965-is-it-good-to-work-out-your-abs-every-day/#ixzz25hGMdMPG

That's fine but if you search the forums you will see a lot of people saying that ab exercises are not necessary when they actually are. I'm not talking about calorie burn when it comes to doing crunches rather strengthening the core that holds your body up.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Crunch on my friends!

Tell me one thing ever in your life that you were incapable of doing which you were later able to do as a direct result of doing crunches.

Now having said that, I don't disagree that core strengthening is good, but there are better ways to do it and to not overdo it.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Crunch on my friends!

Building Core Muscles

Change It Up

Different Workouts

Burning Calories

Injury

That's fine but if you search the forums you will see a lot of people saying that ab exercises are not necessary when they actually are. I'm not talking about calorie burn when it comes to doing crunches rather strengthening the core that holds your body up.

Cause there are so many people around who can't hold their bodies up.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Crunch on my friends!

Building Core Muscles

Change It Up

Different Workouts

Burning Calories

Injury

Hey, if you want a back that's not supported because your core is weak then by all means, skip the ab exercises.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Crunch on my friends!

Building Core Muscles

Change It Up

Different Workouts

Burning Calories

Injury

Hey, if you want a back that's not supported because your core is weak then by all means, skip the ab exercises.

So, by doing crunches you're strengthening your core, is that right?

You do know that your "core" is a lot more than just your abs, right? Especially the muscles used when doing crunches? Seems to me if you wanted to support your back, you'd do exercises that actually required supporting your back/upper body. Like squats.