Can you get surgery if your'e "slighty" overweight

Options
124»

Replies

• PaleoRDH
    Options
    100 pounds plus for gastric bypass, lap band i'm not sure........
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    so many ill-informed people re: gastric bypass surgery...................
    I was only about 75lbs overweight............ got the surgery done. Have now LOST 75lbs in 5.5 months.
    I needed a BMI between 35-39 with co-morbidities or over 40 for automatic approval.
    Failed weightloss attempts - documented by family physician.
    Intense psychological testing? No. I met with ONE social worker (to determine if I had "support" in place: emotionally, physically AND financially. Then I met with a psychologist to make sure I was of "sound mind."
    Did various other tests (swallows, stress tests, heart tests, to name a few of the nicer ones.)
    Serious bloodwork.
    Had to go on optifast for 2 week spre-surgery............worst part of the whole hoopla involved in surgery. Tastes like ****, made me even hungrier, made me groggy, anxious, depressed.

Post surgery? The first month is a drag....and yeah, sure, you don't eat much, and yes you will end up taking vitamins and nutrients and minerals everyday for the rest of your life (I take a pre-natal, calcium, D3, B12 and iron), you MAY become intolerant to different foods (everyone differs - most common is red meat, which is terrible for you to begin with), but I'm now almost 6 months out.... and can eat about 1200 calories a day, give or take, and feel very full most of the time.

Do I regret it? NOPE!
  • MzzAshley
    MzzAshley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow I really can't believe people are saying surgery is "the easy way out"... There is nothing "easy" about having WLS, maybe you all should do some research.

And also we dont sit around eating pizza and chocolate and loss weight, FYI. For the most part a lot of us eat a low carb diet and exercise. I guess I made a bad choice checking out these forums, I figured everyone should each other support, I guess its okay for people to crash diet or take prescription pills to lose weight, but it's a big no-no if you had surgery.

She only needs to lose 30 pounds. You don't get surgery to lose 30 pounds.

Yes I know you dont need surgery for 30lbs. Im just saying in general how people react to surgery.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I think you sell yourself short.

3 years ago I thought the same thing. I started researching surgery. I had thyroid, adrenal fatigue, and multiple health issues.

I lost 60 lbs after that all on my own. I had to face the fact that I ate too much. I didn't think I was eating too much. I never pigged out, stuffed myself, binged, or mindlessly ate, but yet I continued to be overweight.

The bottom line is there is no magic pill. It is simple, eat less, move more. And losing fat is actually more about eating less than moving. Moving is to maintain lean body mass.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong. You can read my story on bobbies fitness blog.

Don't sell yourself short
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you read her other post she wanted to loose 28 lbs in a month before her wedding. She is 5 ft 11 and 178 lbs, a size 12, she shouldn't even be thinking about surgery. In addition, she said if she couldn't loose the weight she wouldn't get married. She was very rude and foul mouthed. She needs psychiatric help!
  • lillemcl
    Options
    I totally agree with you.
  • lillemcl
    Options
    Wow I really can't believe people are saying surgery is "the easy way out"... There is nothing "easy" about having WLS, maybe you all should do some research.

And also we dont sit around eating pizza and chocolate and loss weight, FYI. For the most part a lot of us eat a low carb diet and exercise. I guess I made a bad choice checking out these forums, I figured everyone should each other support, I guess its okay for people to crash diet or take prescription pills to lose weight, but it's a big no-no if you had surgery.

Isn't that the truth! Surgery is no walk in the park, but is a lot of work. I had a year of intensive work with doctors learning what I was doing wrong and how to eat and live better before my bypass surgery. Now, almost a year later I have dropped almost 100 pounds, am just 15 from my goal, haven't had any complications (as has been predicted as a certainty in some other responses), and I don't regret it for a moment. Instead of judging people for their decisions, lets just provide information, and let them make their own informed decision. We are all different and we have to do what is right for ourselves. Leave your own prejudices at home.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have seen 2 posts by this person tonight. Even if one could have surgery for 30 pounds, it could not be done in the one month before her wedding.... I am calling TROLL

QFT
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    she deactivated her account. bye bye
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When you have a weight loss surgery, you are still required to change your diet in similar but more extreme ways than a typical "diet" would. The changes you would need to make are changes that would result in weight loss even without surgery. Surgery is meant for people who need to lose a very large amount of weight very quickly for immediate health reasons- it is not meant to simply be one option for losing weight. If you have surgery and do not make the dietary changes necessary (which, as I mentioned, would in themselves cause weight loss), you risk getting extremely sick and you will also gain the weight back.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    You could get it done for a deal in Thailand. Of course, you might never make it off the operating table...
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    X.X sugery is no joke try exersise and diet you can't be lazy you have to work and eat right
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have seen 2 posts by this person tonight. Even if one could have surgery for 30 pounds, it could not be done in the one month before her wedding.... I am calling TROLL

QFT

Wow, wish I had read the whole thread before commenting. Trolls are bad enough, and worse when they masquerade as people wanting honest advice (whether their question is stupid or not).
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    by your own admission you are only trying to lose a slight amount of weight by your wedding that is in a month. this does not constitute a reason for a weight loss surgery by any ethical doctor.

THIS^^^

If you are looking for an easy way out, this is not the place to be. We are all doing this the right way and making a lifestyle change. Wanting a pricey and dangerous surgery just to drop 30 lbs to me just says lazy
  • settledownspazz
    Options

i dont think anyone is saying surgery is *easy*, but it is an extra tool to help you lose weight quickly. i see women post on here who have lost SIGNIFICANT weight in under 6 months after surgery. much more than people using the old fashioned way would be able to. i understand it doesnt just instantaneously make you thin and make your choices easier, but it does help speed weight loss quite a bit from what ive seen.