No support - how to deal

Options
I've been doing really well at eating healthy for about two weeks now, and I'm down a couple pounds. The problem is, I get absolutely no support from my boyfriend. He does not want me to succeed in losing weight (it's only 12 pounds!) and he does not try to hide this or even pretend to be supportive. He tries to make me feel bad for not wanting to go get pizza and wings and beer with him. Yes we are college age, and I do cheat and do these things about once a week, but I don't stop him from eating and drinking whatever he wants anytime! He is normally a really nice and supportive guy, and he knows this is super important to me. I don't know what the deal is but it really upsets me. So, anyone who's in a similar situation, how do you deal with this!?

Replies

• diet_bunny
    Options
    Can he give good, valid reasons for not wanting you to lose weight?

It could be insecurity on his part that he feels he is being left behind or if you lose weight you wont want him anymore. Sit him down and explain all the good reasons you want to lose weight and reassure that it isn't a reflection on your relationship with him and you nothing has changed with how you feel about him. Explain how you his support would be invaluable to you.
  • davidjohnb17
    davidjohnb17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This seems to be a common thing. My dad is exactly the same and keeps trying to get me to eat unhealthily and eat whatever rubbish he does and yeah it does sometimes leave you feeling really down. I can't explain why people who are close to you and should be supporting you seem to do things like this when you're losing weight but it seems to happen a lot so you're not alone ;) Maybe the thought of you losing weight makes him more self-concious of his own weight and health. I'm pretty sure this is the case with my father. I don't know how big your boyfriend is but if he is a larger gent this could explain his lack of support for you. Still don't get too down, even if he continues being unsupportive you've still got MFP :)
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple, someone who truly loves and cares for you will support you no matter what you choose to do in your life.

Find someone who is and will always stick by you.