Insanity and breastfeeding ????

Options
Hey . Last week I started Insanity ,I did it for 5 days and then Just stopped bcs I get discouraged. So Now I started again ,and Im on day 3 today. My question Is , My daily calorie goal is 1,480 do I need to change something if Im breastfeeding? bcs From breast feeding Im burning calories aswell, so I dont Know, should I add more calories to my goal or is it fine the way it is now?
Till now i didnt see any changes in my milk supply , but I weight myself and there was +3 kg . I want to make slim my tights and hips , . Any tips?? Im scared to gain more kgs :/
Any advice will be much apreciated. :)

Replies

• insanityfan100
    Options
    helooo???
  • fishyfoo77
    Options
    1400 range seems low for someone who is nursing. Are you pumping to keep track of your milk production or just going off of how often baby eats?
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You can add breast feeding into your food diary. I pumped exclusively, so I logged -20 cals per ounce pumped. This adds cals to your daily consumption. Make sure you eat those calories! Or you will slow production.
  • jeccawest
    Options
    I dont think insanity and breastfeeding is a good combo at all. Working out too much can cause the breastmilk to become almost tangy to baby. you may need to try something lite until you are finished breastfeeding.
  • insanityfan100
    Options
    1400 range seems low for someone who is nursing. Are you pumping to keep track of your milk production or just going off of how often baby eats?

Im Not Pumping bcs baby is not taking bottle , so im feeding whenever baby is hungry and its like ewery 1-2 h ..
  • insanityfan100
    Options
    thanks , i will look it up :) But I really dont want to stop Insanity , I heard so many womans are doing insanity and supply is good .. I dont Know,,
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I dont think insanity and breastfeeding is a good combo at all. Working out too much can cause the breastmilk to become almost tangy to baby. you may need to try something lite until you are finished breastfeeding.

I dont agree. When I was breasfeeding my doctor told me I could do any exercise I wanted, as long as I ate enough calories
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    I have never breastfed but have Insanity sitting there waiting for me to start it.
    I think if you get discouraged and have 1 or 2-3 days off don't give up and start all over again, just pick up where you left off :)
    That's what I plan on doing because I know what I'm like it will probably take me 6 months to complete one round haha!!

Goodluck missy :)
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i normally need about 1600 calories without exercise and i'm 5'4" 125-130 lb... when breastfeeding, they say an extra 300 calories a day... and then insanity has some pretty high burns and the guidebook recommended 1900 for me. so i'd say you probably want to go higher than 1480. I'd go up to maybe 1700 and see how that is going and then if you still feel hungry maybe 1900?
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i normally need about 1600 calories without exercise and i'm 5'4" 125-130 lb... when breastfeeding, they say an extra 300 calories a day... and then insanity has some pretty high burns and the guidebook recommended 1900 for me. so i'd say you probably want to go higher than 1480. I'd go up to maybe 1700 and see how that is going and then if you still feel hungry maybe 1900?

oh and i used to breastfeed and it did make me feel hungrier. i was probably eating over 2000 calories then and maintained a higher weight than i am now... but then when i quit bf i gained weight.... so id say even 1900-2000 would be ok.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm a lactation consultant (IBCLC). There is not going to be a problem with the breastmilk tasting funny. Exercise is fine. The biggest thing is just making sure you are getting enough calories in. I always tell people, if you are exclusively breastfeeding you are burning an extra 300-500 calories a day. Pay attention to your babies out put. If wet and dirty diapers start getting less and less and they shouldn't be, you might have a decreasing supply. If that happens, increase your calorie intake. I would probably stick closer to 1500-1600 calories a day. You will still lose weight and it will be a healthy weight loss. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • insanityfan100
    Options

But I dont feel hungry at all in day . and whenever i feel i ate something . Oh and after just 4 days doing insanity i was +3 kg so what will be if I will eat theese 1700 cal per day? ohh my Im confused..
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Some babies hate the taste of lactic acid in your milk, others don't mind, and some, like my little girl, love it. If your baby doesn't like the taste, all it means is working out around your nursing schedule - nursing then working out so that there will be some time between the end of your work out and the next nursing session.
    I've been doing Insanity (just started round 2), running, and lifting heavy. The reason you are up the scale is because your muscles are holding onto water to try and repair - not because of fat gain. The best advice I can give you is to set your profile to lose 1 pound a week, add in the appropriate number of breastfeeding calories, and eat at least half of your exercise calories - eat some more calorie dense options like nuts (unless you are avoiding for allergy reasons) if you truly aren't hungry.
  • klizethc89
    Options
    i just finished the first month of insanity ! and EVERYONE told me the reason i wasnt getting the results i wanted was due to not eating enough. im 5'1 146lbs and my calorie goal range was over 2000 a day! thats a big deal with how hard your working out, so you should check into the nutrition. :) looks like everyone covered the topic of the breastfeeding. DONT QUIT , after about week 1 you will be so excited to workout every day and see your improvements!
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through. I was breastfeeding while doing a mix of Turbo Fire and Insanity. I am 5'3" and started out at 135 lbs. In the first couple of weeks, I went up to 138 lbs and then the scale was stuck there. I couldn't understand it. Like you, I was eating only when I was hungry.

Finally someone explained it to me: These workouts require a whole lot of fuel. So does breastfeeding. If you are not giving your body A TON of food, your body (knowing it is supporting you and another little life) will hold on to fat like crazy. It is trying to make sure that there will always be something to draw on for milk production.

The solution: Eat a whole lot. I actually upped my calories to 2200 or more during the time I was doing the program and breastfeeding. The minute I did, the weight MELTED off. I lost 20 lbs in just over three months.

It sounds crazy, but it worked for me. I know you don't feel hungry enough to eat all that. I didn't at first either. I think the lack of hunger is a sign that your metabolism is really slow. If you start eating and reassuring your body that it is getting plenty of food, your metabolism will speed up and the weight will start coming off. And yes, you will start feeling REALLY hungry!

Actually, as the baby grew and started eating more and more, I had to up my calories to 2500 or so. But at this point, my metabolism could finally handle it!

I hope this helps!
  • hummus40
    Options
    i have been a lactation consultant for over ten years and YES you need to INCREASE those calories...and increase your PROTEIN> that having been said how long have you been breastfeeding? is this the only food supply your baby is receiving? how often are you feeding? knowing more information will help me to know what other factors/information i can give to you.
  • fishyfoo77
    Options

Im Not Pumping bcs baby is not taking bottle , so im feeding whenever baby is hungry and its like ewery 1-2 h ..

I only asked to get a better idea of how you are keeping track of your supply. If it seems like baby starts to feed more often and longer than that might be an indication of your supply dropping and you would definitetly want to up your calories. Its all gonna depend on how long youve been nursing, how old your baby is and how well you know your production. I pumped and nursed so it was easier for me to keep an eye on my production when i started a new exercise program.