Need advice on nutrition please...

I am so confused and am probably doing it to myself with all the browsing I'm doing here. lol. My goal is to lose 2 pounds a week, so MFP says I need to net 1200 calories. So, already I feel weird because that means I have to eat around 1700 calories most days. I have been working out 5-6 days a week, alternating between cardio and strength. I wear a heart monitor and I always burn at least 500 calories. To be honest, I don't think I've actually netted the 1200 calories yet because I can't get over how much food I am consuming. But I am also scared that I am going to put my body into starvation mode. So, I would love to hear from anyone that ate their recommended net calories and still lost 2 pounds a week. Also, with as much exercise as I've been doing, I've upped my protein quite a bit. Actually got 88 grams today. So, I'm just looking for advice from people that have had success. I am 32 years old (later this month), 5'5", and approx. 210 pounds.

Replies

• jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Best bet is to ask a doctor. But my opinion is that you dont have to worry about "starvation mode" cause you have extra body fat on ya. Try to eat back to what MFP says (some people chose to eat back most, leaving a few hundred left over for inaccuracies) and you should be on par to lose what it says.

But you are working out quite a bit, so if you start to feel fatigued quicker during your work outs, your not progressing, you feel crappy during the day, you might want to try to eat more! some almonds during the day as a snack is a great way to boost your calorie intake, or switching to whole or low fat dairy products instead of fat free. There are ways to reach the numbers but If your feeling fine eating some but not all back, then keep at it I guess. Just my opinion.
  • Some very simple ways to add calorie dense foods to your diary on a daily basis will help. Don't be afraid of fat as long as it's coming from good sources:

-- Generally speaking swap out anything "fat-free" for either low-fat or even full fat. Fat-free stuff is generally very process and the counter-balance is often added sugars. Examples might be milk, salad dressings, cheese.
    -- Good oils are good fat such as olive, coconut, sesame and canola oil. 1 Tbsp is usually around 130 calories. Use for sauteing vegetables, etc.
    -- Nuts and nut butters (all-natural peanut and almond butter) are very calorie dense. A peanut butter and jelly (use all natural fruit preserves such as Polander's) sandwich on whole grain wheat will give you about 400 calories. It's a great snack and very healthy.
    -- Yogurts including Greek can have a good amount of calories as well. Also, 1c of 1% cottage cheese is about 180 calories and packs a ton of protein
    -- Lean red meats and fatty fish (again good for you) such as salmon and tuna are also very good options
    -- Fruits are also fairly high in calories. A large banana and apple are about 100 calories
    -- Protein bars could be another snack option in the ~200 calorie range

If you're not eating 5 meals a day perhaps spreading things out a bit and adding some of these options as snacks will help do the trick.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    When I started here I ate what MFP recommended and I lost a little more than 2 pounds a week. After doing this for a while, I now have adjusted my weight loss goals so that I can always eat at least 1400 calories a day because I feel much better when I do that.

But yeah, if you are exercising and eating 1700 calories a day, it is totally possible to lose 2 pounds a week, I did it for months!
  • vjsmiles
    vjsmiles Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for your advice and support!
  • You need to eat more than you think. 1700 is about right to make for a net of 1200. Your body need fuel to move and too much a deficit will cause horrendous failure. The points above are good so I'm not gonna dive in too far. My female clients are anywhere from 1800-2200/day.
  • vjsmiles
    vjsmiles Posts: 8 Member
    You need to eat more than you think. 1700 is about right to make for a net of 1200. Your body need fuel to move and too much a deficit will cause horrendous failure. The points above are good so I'm not gonna dive in too far. My female clients are anywhere from 1800-2200/day.

How much protein do you recommend for your female clients?