Need more Potassium

Options
Seems like I'm not getting enough. What do you guys eat that's loaded with potassium and not too many calories? Should I take a supplement for the boost?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Bananas.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Almost all Americans get more than enough potassium.

Why do you think you're falling short? If you are basing it on MFP, don't. The overwhelming majority of foods in the database don't have potassium listed because it is not required on US food labels.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Bananas.

Also, off the top of my head:

Animal products like meats and dairy.

Potatoes

Orange juice
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Well alot of the stuff I eat I scan in from the bar codes.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Google a list of potassium rich foods, but most raw fruits have a lot and when you aren't where you can get that type of food, I take potassium chloride powder made by now
  • VanessaGS
    Options
    Also I cramp alot during workouts which is another reason I don't think I"m getting enough of it.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Well alot of the stuff I eat I scan in from the bar codes.
    So?
    The overwhelming majority of foods in the database don't have potassium listed because it is not required on US food labels.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of using search engines. This came up with a good list.

http://potassiumrichfoods.com/potassium-rich-foods-list/

Most sources are vegetables, beans, and fruits so should work in terms of calories.
  • VanessaGS
    Options
    OK I getcha. Add more fruit into the diet is what I need to do.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Dried apricots
    Spinach !
    Kale

I put 2 handfuls of Spinach and some kale in my smoothies. Spinach is very rich in potassium. And leafy greens ? Can't go wrong !
  • kevicoo
    Options
    I noticed, that almost nothing with Spinach lists potassium, so you can't really go by MFP for that. Wish there was a way to update the potassium in the foods.
  • Maria_T007
    Options
    Bananas..and I have a prescription,
  • DSullivanSD
    Options
    I too was looking at the potassium amount listed under "goal" it's way too high on my chart. The goal, which I don't think I set is 3500 mg but the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR602373) lists the recommended amount as 1600 to 2000 mg (40 to 50 milliequivalents [mEq]) per day for adults as adequate. There is a possibility of getting too much.

How are the amounts set for myfitnesspal? I'm going to see if I can change the potassium goal on my account.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bananas are a great source for potassium so eat em on up
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Also I cramp alot during workouts which is another reason I don't think I"m getting enough of it.

yea i had that problem myself especially in the toes its a real friggen *****... lol i find i eat a banana 30mins before i work out most of my cramping has ceased i also every so often drink a bottle of gatorade after working out.. as it contains potassium and magnesium.. so start eating a banana before you work out and drink loads of water it will help with the cramping