Does gluten free pasta have fewer calories?

Options
I want to go out to eat at my favorite local Italian restaurant tomorrow and there is no calorie information posted. I know that I will go over my calories for a day and I am okay with that, but I still want to make smart choices. The last time I went out for Italian food, I ordered an appetizer, a big entree, and a dessert and ate *all* of it. After looking through the menu, I want to get the cheese ravioli (simple but so good!), but they also offer a gluten-free cheese ravioli. Both dishes are baked in a red sauce. Does the gluten-free option have fewer (or more?) calories? Is one more nutritious than the other? I am not trying to avoid gluten for any particular reason. I just want to make a good decision. :)

Replies

• Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you have no medical reason to avoid gluten then don't. Gluten free doesn't mean lower calories. Sometimes they add more sugar and fat just to make it taste better.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Gluten free pasta (sadly) does not have fewer calories and is not more nutritious
  • om3guz
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! :)
  • nehauck
    nehauck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    While I do not have celiac disease, i've been eating gluten free for 6 months and love it. I have so much less inflammation in my hands when I exercise and my blood pressure is back to normal after 12 years of being unexplainably high.