Women 50+: Does the word "exercise" make your teeth curl?

Options
This post is directed to women over 50 who are here to lose those 50 or so pounds that have crept up over the past 20 years, and seemed to take up permanent residence post-menopause.

There is a ton of guidance on this site devoted to exercise. All of it has value – and nothing I’m going to write here should be construed as anti-exercise. We all need to move more, and I encourage you to do that. I walk the dogs several miles a week and take an intermittent pilates class. I own a treadmill, which I keep dusted, and some hand weights, which I sometimes move from the floor to the coffee table.

I am not willing to make my weight dependent on an extreme exercise routine that I may or may not be willing or able to maintain as I get older. I have read posts again and again from people who work out like fiends, only to get an injury or illness that prohibits them from working out – short-term or forever – and sends them into a weight gain panic. Their weight maintenance is dependent on their exercise routine.

And, yes, I know that means that when I reach my goal (just 27 more pounds!), I’m likely to be what’s known in the MFP vernacular as “skinny fat.” Trust me, I look forward to that. If at that point I want to play around with some toning, fine – but I don’t want my maintenance lifestyle to be contingent on a gym membership or home equivalent (i.e., something else to dust). Know what I mean?

I’m writing this to you over-50 women because I suspect some of you are a lot more like me than like the young fitness buffs on MFP. They are wonderful and I’m thrilled for all the help they’re giving so many people. I just don’t want the women like me to be discouraged by that inner voice that says, “But you know you’re not going to work out six days a week!” That’s the voice of failure waiting to happen.

I have done a lot of experimenting over the past 10 months, and have had success (53 pounds) with calorie cycling or a variation on intermittent fasting or Eat-Stop-Eat. All that means is that once or twice a week I’ll not eat anything from dinner one night to dinner the next night. And I look at my average numbers for the week instead of the day, and keep them between my BMR and my goal TDEE. That gives me room for lots of fun!

I’m originally from New Orleans, so I have worked really hard to learn to cook clean – and my 1450-1700 calories of daily food are jam-packed with nutrition and even a few glasses of wine. There is no diet food or fake food or processed food on my menus. I am never, ever hungry.

Feel free to friend me and let’s share recipes and war stories.

Cheers!
Alice

Replies

• jiva57
    jiva57 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 54, and there IS a middle ground. I just got done with nursing school - became extremely sedentary for about a year. I WANT to exercise because growing older just looks depressing if I'm not strong and capable as long as I can be. I have arthritis, and if I don't use it, I WILL lose it.

To get back in shape, I started with 25 minutes of walking in the morning - nothing else. It wasn't hard, my dog likes it, and it puts me in a good mood. Over a period of about 6 weeks, I have slowly added back hatha yoga, ellyptical trainer and swimming. Nothing killer. I alternate the gym and yoga days and do about an hour 4x a week. My pain levels are going down, energy is coming up, and pounds and inches steadily going down. I'm stronger and more fluid.

Since I'm a nurse who volunteers in hospice, I've got a pretty good idea what getting old looks like when folks are and are not doing reasonable things to stay strong. And I SO agree with you on injuries being a big turnoff. About half the people I know who started PX90 overweight ended up with an injury. I stay away from any rapid shifts and extreme changes. Be kind to your body! :flowerforyou:
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Perfect. You're the model!
  • sallyloves2laugh
    Options
    Hi, I just turned 50 this year and I feel your pain! I was an avid bicycle rider and exercised a big part of my life before this hormonal thing hit me. I have very little energy and dieting continues to be a struggle. I have promised myself to get back my mojo asap...
    For lots of reasons... improved energy level, to build muscle to support those bones so we don't break a hip, to improve my mood, tone the body and skin... did you know exercise is great for the skin!?

Think about what you loved playing or doing as a child, riding your bike, going to the park, hiking through the woods... you may be surprised to find some activity that you've forgotten that you LOVE!
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    Yep, I'm all for PLAY! It's the contrived stuff that I can't stand -- and don't want to develop a dependency on. ;c)
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    63 today. Was almost a chronic exerciser till 2009 when I retired and for some reason my joints tore down. For over 3 years I havent been able to do my speed walks and dancing DVDs. Have been doing light weights and using a Tony Little gazelle for cardio. So I guess "no", my choppers don't curl at exercise. I love it. But it sure hasn't kept the weight off!!!
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    Happy birthday, Bonnie!!!
  • clarechieri
    clarechieri Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sorry for gate crashing as I'm not 50+ but I do feel the same about exercise as I know for a fact I will never keep up an extreme workout routine. I have a gym ball that the kids like to jump on and my exercise consists of long walks and chasing the little ones around. I'm now at my goal and really happy to be here even if I am conciderd skinny fat its better than fat fat any day!

Good luck with your journey and good to see someone with similar views to myself
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I agree about being happy if I ever get to be skinny-fat, I'll be happy to be skinny-anything! I walk, work in the garden and do some classes with friends - and my friends are brilliant role models. They range in age from 80 to mid 50's and we go to exercise classes together. Not those sitting down & wave your arms about classes aimed at "old people". We do aerobics, zumba, pilates - and walking together.

I can't see myself going to the gym almost every day - as you say it just doesn't appeal, but we don't have to give up either.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I am approaching 53 fast and hard, but mentally not feeling the age at all. Yes, Alice.. I agree with you . Exercise and I are not good friends, either. I do try to walk the stairs at work ( up four flights, 3 times because it's a HAVE - TO exercise ....if I get up them, then I HAVE -TO come back down them.) I bought the Zumba dvd's and it's still sitting in the box, after trying to learn the steps, I threw out a knee...if that's possible.
    I like the idea of the intermittent dieting. It might be something I would try. I know I have days I can go without eating until 2:00pm or so , and then some I can't...maybe it will help. Like the exercise, I feel the same way about the severe cut- back of meals, though .I know I'm never going to live that way ,forever, so If I lose the weight doing it , I know that I will gain it back and then some....which is part of the reason, I'm where I am now.....from severe diets in my younger days.
    From your profile pic, I can tell you have found what works for you..Great work!