Running out of energy after 10 miles

Options
I am training for a half marathon and as soon as I get to about 10 miles I am beat...I have been slowly increasing to add mileage every week but need an extra boost. Any suggestions for a mid run energy boost to get me through?

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What does your training schedule look like? How does your pace compare on the LR to other runs? There are several things that could be causing that - some physical, some adaptation, some mental.
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump, I have the same problem!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go to your local running store and check out things like GU packs and other mid-work out supplements.

an energy drink powder, like 1MR, might give you energy too. the directions say to take it 30 minutes before a work out, but if you drink it right before you head out, by the time it kicks in it'll be mile 4 or something.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Energy chews and water, they made all the difference in the world to me. Once I started carrying water I cut over a minute off my pace time. In the water you can put a little gatorade or refuel drink too. I also carry honey stinger organic energy chews on long runs, it's basically a gummy bear with electrolytes. The carbs give you instant energy and the electrolytes replace what is lost in sweat - obviously. Very important if you're running outdoors when its hot and humid. I eat one or twi every 10-15 minutes after about an hour of consistant exercise. One pack generally lasts me two runs.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    For anything over 6 miles, I bring a gel with me. I've been using PowerBar Energy Gel (they sell them at my local grocery), although most of my runner friends recommend the Gu brand. I stop briefly, suck it down, drink some water, and take off again. I usually take a gel about 1/2 hour - 1 hour before the run, too (if it's in the double digits).

I really like the Jelly Belly sport beans, but they are harder to digest. I ate them during a 10-mile run and got VERY sick when I got home.

Make sure you drink a Gatorade or Powerade after your run, too.
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The energy chews sound good! I could easily carry those with me. Thanks!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're reasonably well fed/hydrated going into the run, you shouldn't need anything for AT LEAST an hour, and probably closer to 1.5-2 hours.

How does is the 10 miles taking you?
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're reasonably well fed/hydrated going into the run, you shouldn't need anything for AT LEAST an hour, and probably closer to 1.5-2 hours.

How does is the 10 miles taking you?

:laugh: 10 miles takes me 1 hour, 45 minutes on a REALLY good day.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't need additional energy for HM distance. Sounds like you are going too fast for your current fitness level.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't need additional energy for HM distance. Sounds like you are going too fast for your current fitness level.
    This
    Water on the day, and good food and sleep the day before.
    If you must have something, eat Jellybabies, one or two every mile or so will help with your mind needing "something". Running well is 80% mental
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    This
    If you must have something, eat Jellybabies, one or two every mile or so will help with your mind needing "something". Running well is 80% mental

Is it based on distance or time? Some people need 3 hours to do a HM, other can do it in half that. My understanding is that the need for cals is based on time, not distance.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I think it depends on how long you are out there. I'm a sub 3 half, so I am certainly going to use energy products.

There are some seasoned, distance runners in my group and they use them. They are WAY faster than me. I would say it's a personal choice. It works for me, so I will contiune to use them.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    This

Is it based on distance or time? Some people need 3 hours to do a HM, other can do it in half that. My understanding is that the need for cals is based on time, not distance.
    Distance, my best was 1:44.41, my average was 1:52.17. only every needed Jellybabies, not really needed, just thought I needed. If you do the training miles before hand, and taper and rest when you should, There is no benifit to Average Joe from gells and race-drinks.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    No benefit at all, period? Again, your time was under 2 hours, so I don't doubt that you could do it without additional cals. But try going for 3 or 4 or 6 hours. Would you need cals then?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No benefit at all, period? Again, your time was under 2 hours, so I don't doubt that you could do it without additional cals. But try going for 3 or 4 or 6 hours. Would you need cals then?

Exactly!

Depletion rates & fat utilization also vary with the fitness level of the runner. A newer runner is more likely to need a little pick me up than a more experienced one.
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 1 hour and 45 minutes to run 10 miles. Its my slow run. I am trying to increase the distance and I'm not really worried about time. I drink a pre-workout drink of my husbands that is supposed to give you energy but I am still struggling after about the 10 mile mark. I was just hoping there was something I could drink or take that could give me some energy to finish the last 3 miles.
  • Culley34
    Options
    Figuratively speaking, You're hitting the wall -- when means that you're depleting basically all of the energy storage in your cells.

People have suggested using "GU' packets. I use these to make sure I don't experience the issues that you're talking about. If you do decide to go the Gu route -- be careful. Some have caffeine, some have 2x the caffeine, and some have no caffeine at all. I used to drink redeye coffees from Starbucks every day and the 2x caffeines made me jittery.

If these are your long runs -- don't hesitate to start walking 1 minute for every 9 minutes you run after five or six miles. This will keep your legs much fresher.
    I am training for a half marathon and as soon as I get to about 10 miles I am beat...I have been slowly increasing to add mileage every week but need an extra boost. Any suggestions for a mid run energy boost to get me through?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Exactly!

Depletion rates & fat utilization also vary with the fitness level of the runner. A newer runner is more likely to need a little pick me up than a more experienced one.

I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you agreeing that gels and the like are of no benefit to most athletes, regardless of the time/distance they are going?

Or are you saying that it is based on how long they are running? i.e. the average runner doesn't need anything at 90 minutes, but may very well benefit from something at 3 hours.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 1 hour and 45 minutes to run 10 miles. Its my slow run. I am trying to increase the distance and I'm not really worried about time. I drink a pre-workout drink of my husbands that is supposed to give you energy but I am still struggling after about the 10 mile mark. I was just hoping there was something I could drink or take that could give me some energy to finish the last 3 miles.

You might try an energy product. My favorite so far is peanut butter flavored GU. I suggest taking it before you need it. If your "wall" is ten miles, you might take it 1 hour in and again (maybe) after another 45 minutes to an hour. Experiment on your training runs and see what works best.

On my training runs, it takes me 2 hours to run that far. I take my GU at the second water stop (approx. 4 miles) and again (especially in the Texas heat) at the fourth water stop (approx. 8 miles).
  • jacksonpt
    Options

My guess is that you are hitting your "ceiling". The best way to get past it is to push through it. If you get tired at 10 miles or at 1:45, go longer. Go to 12 miles, or to 2 hours. In time you'll get stronger and your body will adapt and it'll get easier.

To your question... A little caffeine might help, but that's not really addressing the problem.