I HATE EXERCISE!

Options
I HATE EXERCISE! NO, really, I HATE IT! I know a lot of people on MFP like/love exercise, or have come to like it on their weight loss journey, but I STILL HATE IT!

I have always hated it. Even when I was in my teen years and needed to lose 10-15 pounds - Oh, for that problem again :) - I did not like it.

With that said, yesterday I went on a 3.27 mile walk in 1 hour, 16 mins. (Thank you RunKeeper for the EXACT info)
But the amazing thing about this is I went by myself!
No big deal you say? Ah contraire! I NEVER exercise by myself. I have a husband and six children and I have always made someone come with me, to MAKE me do it.

Yesterday, I went alone. I MADE MYSELF do it! I did take the dog, but still alone. This was a HUGE NSV victory for me.
And the coollest thing was that it was my son that pointed out that it was a NSV. I never even consider that what I did was a NSV.

And he pointed out that I actually had 3 NSV! Alone, longest distance I have ever walked - not counting at DIsneyland :) - and also I bested my miles per hour from 2 MPH to 2.5 MPH.

I can't tell you how proud I was of myself! And to think I did it all by myself, for myself!

But, I STILL HATE EXERCISE :)

Replies

• Hamncheezr
    Options
    Way to go!
  • dshgna
    dshgna Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Way to go:)!

Btw do you like dancing?

I also hate exercise, but I love dancing and I have found that Zumba really keeps me going! I don't feel I'm exercising at all!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Banish the word exercise from your vocabulary if you hate it and think in terms of recreation instead. If you have 6 kids and a dog I'm inclined to think that you can enjoy a lot of recreation time just playing/walking/biking with them.

Attitude change everything, it was only when I started thinking of running as "play time" that it really became fun for me. Similarly I love biking because when I was a teenager and had no car etc my bike was my transportation and represented freedom for me, I didn't have to scrounge a ride from someone nor did I have to wait for a bus....
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Banish the word exercise from your vocabulary if you hate it and think in terms of recreation instead. If you have 6 kids and a dog I'm inclined to think that you can enjoy a lot of recreation time just playing/walking/biking with them.

Attitude change everything, it was only when I started thinking of running as "play time" that it really became fun for me. Similarly I love biking because when I was a teenager and had no car etc my bike was my transportation and represented freedom for me, I didn't have to scrounge a ride from someone nor did I have to wait for a bus....

Ditto - Ditto - Ditto!!

Congratulations!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    The BF hates going to the gym, but is okay with walking around places. Especially since he's lost some weight and is not getting knee pain as much. I know he's not alone. I *hate* stationary bikes. I try not to hate the treadmill as it's not possible to run outside for me right now. I DID find that I started looking forward to the gym when I realized my then-uptapped love of picking up heavy things repeatedly.

TL;DR- I know what you mean and finding something you love doing is the difference between being active and "exercise." :D

PS- NSV!! Good for you!!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Great job. With a spouse and six kids you probably enjoyed a few moments to yourself!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Love your life, live your life and enjoy it! My "exersice" time is my sanctuary and therapy all wrapped into one. Whether I'm alone or with friends its a time for me, NOT "mom- me" or "wife-me" or "fixer of all that is wrong in the world-me", but the me I thought I had lost. I'm glad to have me back, and for the first time in a long time I'm proud of me and like who I am again. Just thought I'd share this little bit of me with y'all.
  • pamperedpenguin
    pamperedpenguin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have thought of Zumba but am still at such a high weight that it would be really hard for me. I will look into it in the future when I am more physically able to. Thanks for the advice!
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I used to hate exercise as well. But now I find I actually enjoy it. I enjoy how I feel afterwards. I missed going to the gym on Monday because my husband was home. I won't ever ever do that again. I was going to do Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Couldn't get myself to go Tuesday, so finally I went yesterday, but I almost didn't go. Missing one day has thrown me completely off for the week and I actually feel guilty for not going. Plus I love those NSV, they make me want to keep going. Just find something you enjoy doing and do it. Once you start seeing more NSVs, then you will do more to get more.