The Bean Recipe Thread

Options
bushidowoman
bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
Every once in awhile, I see someone posting a thread asking what to do with beans. I thought maybe it would be cool to have a bunch of bean ideas and recipes in one place.

There have been times where I've stayed home with the children and money has been tight, and I would substitute beans for meat in most of our meals. One bag of dried beans will make approx 16 "bean burgers". Lentils can be used to make "sloppy joes". We all like bean enchiladas. And in soups. You get the idea.

(I would give credit for these recipes where credit is due, but I've been using them for years, mainly shared by different friends on the net. Sorry, I don't remember where most of them came from.)

Sweet and Sour Lentils
1/2 c. dry lentils
3 c. water
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 T honey (or you can substitute molasses)
1 T soy sauce
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 c. water
1 t. cornstarch
1 small onion, sliced
2 T oil
Bring 3 c. water to a boil and cook lentils for 25 minutes. Drain, set aside. Combine next 5 ingredients and bring to a boil. Spoon out a little of the liquid and mix with cornstarch to make a thin paste, then add to liquid mixture. Saute onion until soft. Add cooked lentils and mix well. Add lentil mixture to sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
I serve these over rice, with stir fry veggies.

Mujadarrah
6 T olive oil
1 very large onion, sliced
1 ¼ green or brown lentils
salt and pepper
¾ cup rice
Heat oil in large skillet on med. Cook onion, stirring frequently until it’s a rich, dark brown, about 12 mintues. Meanwhile, put the lentils in a pan with 4 c. water and 1 t. salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 min. Add rice, pepper, and additional water if needed. (If using brown rice add rice with lentils.) Cook covered over low heat until rice is done, about 15 min. Stir in half the onions, then cover and let stand off the heat for 5 min. Spoon the lentil-rice mixture on a platter and cover with remaining onions.
-from Deborah Madison’s Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
-I think this is a Jordanian dish. It sounds blah, but it is so yummy, easy, cheap, & nutritious. Simplicity is sometimes best!

Vegetarian Split Pea Soup
12 Tbl. vegetable oil
1 each medium carrot, celery, parsnip, and onion, finely chopped
1/2 pound green split peas, rinsed and picked over
4 cups hot water
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
Salt & pepper to taste Heat oil in large heavy pot over medium heat. Stir in vegetables and sauté until softened, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the peas to the water, thyme, bay leaf, and salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat so liquid is simmering. Cook until peas are very tender, about 1 to 1-1/4 hours. Remove bay leaf. Transfer mixture to a food processor and pulse until almost smooth. Return to pot and heat until hot, adding more water, if necessary. Soup should be rather thick.

Spicy Black Bean Soup
1 medium onion
4 medium garlic cloves (or 2 tsp minced garlic)
1 bag dried black beans
½ tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 can broth
1 can tomatoes with green chilies
Salt & pepper to taste
Frozen corn
Soak and drain beans, cook with spices until almost done. Add corn, cook until done.

Moroccan Slow Cooker Stew
1 sprays cooking spray
1 small onion(s), chopped
1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup carrot(s), baby
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
15 oz canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp table salt
Coat a small skillet with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes.
Place squash in a 3-quart or larger slow cooker (crockpot). Add sauteed onion and garlic, carrots, tomatoes, broth, cinnamon, cumin and red pepper flakes. Cover and turn on to low heat; simmer for 6 hours.
Add chickpeas and salt. Stir, cover and heat for an additional 5 minutes. Yields about 1 1/3 cups per serving.

Lentil One pot casserole
6 3/4 oz dry lentils, about 1 cup, rinsed
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
2 cup carrot(s), shredded
3 cup water
1 packet onion soup mix, reduced-sodium preferred
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp olive oil
Rinse lentils.
Place all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook until rice is done, about 20 minutes. Yields 1 cup per serving.

Bombay Potatoes With Chick Peas
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
Pinch ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 knob fresh ginger, peeled and grated
4 knobs butter
6 potatoes, peeled, parboiled and cut into cubes
4 tomatoes, cores removed and flesh diced
1 can chickpeas
Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped Heat the oil in a pan and fry the spices for a few minutes. Add the butter, then the potatoes making sure they are completely coated in the spicy mixture. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, then stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas, and the coriander.

Hummus
1 can chickpeas/garbanzos
1 TBSP lemon juice
3-4 cloves garlic (or 2 tsp minced garlic)
¼ tsp cumin
2-3 TBSP tahini (can sub peanut butter)
1 TBSP parsley
2 tsp olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
Drain liquid from chickpeas, reserve some. Blend ingredients in food processor until smooth, adding more liquid if needed for desired consistency.
I've gotten to where I always substitute peanut butter for tahini and coconut oil for olive oil--that has always gotten rave reviews from my friends!

Replies

• 79smudge
    79smudge Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ginaxena
    ginaxena Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thx for posting the recipes ... fabulous!
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Jesi0725
    Jesi0725 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump for later - thanks for sharing!
  • LoseSyra
    LoseSyra Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump, awsome idea
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Cuban Black Bean Patties:
    • 2 cups rinsed, drained canned black beans (1 [15-ounce] can), divided
    • 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • 1 large egg white
    • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
    • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
    • 1/4 cup cornmeal
    • Cooking spray
    • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream

Preparation
    1. Place 1 1/2 cups beans, garlic, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl; partially mash with a fork. Place 1/2 cup remaining beans and egg white in a food processor; process 30 seconds or until well combined. Add bean puree to mashed beans in bowl, and stir until combined. Add cheese and onion to bean mixture; stir until combined. Divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place cornmeal in a shallow dish. Dredge both sides of each patty in cornmeal.
    2. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Spoon about 1/2 cup rice onto each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 patty and 1 tablespoon sour cream.

Note: You can prepare the patties in advance up to the point of dredging them in cornmeal; cover and refrigerate. For a spicier patty, add red pepper flakes and double the cumin
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    Chili Verde
    1 bag white beans, soaked, drained, rinsed
    1 can green enchilada sauce (or salsa verde)
    1 can green chilies
    1 onion, chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste

Throw ingredients into a pot or crockpot with a couple cups of water, and cook til beans are tender. We serve this with cornbread.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like!!:glasses: :happy: :blushing:
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting.
  • brittlynn8907
    brittlynn8907 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Feta Salad/Dip

Single Batch

1 can Black Beans
    8 oz Frozen White Shoepeg Corn
    4 oz Crumbled Feta
    ¼ red onion, finely chopped
    ¼ cup White Balsamic Vinegar
    ¼ cup Garlic Infused Olive Oil
    ¼ cup Stevia in the Raw

Drain and rinse black beans. Run corn under cold water until cold. Mix vinegar, olive oil and stevia in bowl until well blended then add beans, corn, onions and feta. Stir well to combine and let sit for at least an hour.

For a party I usually make a double batch.

This is great as a side dish/salad or as a dip for tortilla chips or veggies.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    yummm bump for later!! :bigsmile:
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Red Beans & Brown Rice

1lb bag of red kidney beans--serves 6-8ppl
    2 bay leafs
    1/2 onion chopped/frozen seasoning blend in a bag
    6 cups water
    Garlic powder
    Cajun seasoning
    Ham bones/seasoning meat or smoked sausage

Brown Rice

Soak your beans in cool water overnight. Rinse in the morning and add to pot. Cover with 6cups of water. Sautee your onion chopped in a seperate pan. Add 2 bay leafs to onions for a minute to bring up flavor. Add onions and bay leaves to beans. Add your cajun seasoning/frozen season blend/boullion cube (whichever you prefer). Cover with lid and simmer on med/low for 1.5-2 hours stirring every now and again and adding water if needed. If you want to thicken it you can smash a few beans on the side of the pot and mix it all back together. Add whatever meat you would like, a ham bone, seasoning meat, smoked sausage. Add your bones/seasoning meat when you add onions. If using sausage, add it in the end wihen beans are almost done. Cook your brown rice as normal and serve it over the rice. I usually cook greens or spinach along side this. Or cornbread.

Good ole southern girl recipe :bigsmile:
  • roman109
    Options
    Bump
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread!!! I always want to buy bags of beans to make something healthy w/plenty of fiber but really have no idea how to cook them or what to cook them with....This is definitely going in my favorites!!

Thanks to all who share their bean recipes on here!!:happy:
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    WOW
  • sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    @Thrld-your black bean patties look yummier than my bean patties! Added them to my list and can't wait to try!

The black bean feta dip looks good, too. ]

Thanks for adding!
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes they sound yummy will be trying some
  • Minu135
    Options
    Bump!