I'm drinking my calories!!!

Options
I drink at least 4 to 5 can Dr. Peppers a day. I can't stand the Diet. I dont know what to do. When I try to quit drinking them I just crave them more. UGH!!!
Anyone else have/had this problem? If so what did you do?

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I am trying to replace my soda addiction with sparkling water, not the same but gets you that fizziness. I still drink a couple diet sodas a day.:drinker: :drinker:
  • ktverbeck
    Options
    What about mixing 1/2 diet Dr.Pepper with Regular - and then cutting back on the regular, adding more diet, a bit at a time?
  • maryann78
    maryann78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thats is an idea. I never thought of trying that. It is a start.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    I drink at least 4 to 5 can Dr. Peppers a day. I can't stand the Diet. I dont know what to do. When I try to quit drinking them I just crave them more. UGH!!!

Phase out of it - it has caffeine in it, which is probably where part of your addiction is coming from. Refined sugars too. They keep you coming back. So phase out over a few days. Drink a LOT of water too.
    Stop buying it/Get rid of it - You have to get all of your trigger foods AWAY from you. Whether that means getting it out of the house, throwing it out, giving it to friends. Get rid of it.
    Find a suitable replacement, it may take a while but it will work.

You are on the right path already - you KNOW what you're drinking isn't the best choice and thats the first step.
    Keep water handy and if youre getting it from a vending machine at school or work, make sure you leave all your change in the car. (Thats what I had to do at work... those dollars burnt holes in my pocket until they were spent on snacks.)

:) Hang in there!
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    Mixing is a great idea. I have been trying to make the switch to diet for at least 5 years. Luckily I don't care for pop very much and prefer water. I finally found a diet pop I like... diet A&W. I think Mixing might be the route to go. I think I may try that too.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Coke zero taste just like reg coke. I love it
  • marybethbeech
    Options
    I was drinking 4-5 Cokes a day... I would seriously rather go without than do diet. About a week ago, I quit cold turkey. I gave up caffeine entirely, not just in my soft drinks. It's been pretty hard. I'm completely worn out by 2 PM every day. I think I'm starting to get over the hump, though. I probably won't even take a nap today lol
  • khoolette
    Options
    I used to be that way with Mt. Dew. I just couldn't make myself drink the diet Mt. Dew. I decided to go a week without ANY Mt. Dew -and then I drank a diet. By then...the diet tasted VERY sweet. If you still want to drink pop, try going without any for a few days, then try the diet and see if you like it any better.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If the caffeine is what you're craving, try drinking tea. There are all kinds of flavors out there to choose from, and you can control how much sugar, or sweetener you put in. Sure it takes a little extra time, but that's part of what it's there for, so you can slow down and relax.
  • Ktbell626
    Ktbell626 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try iced tea for caffeine and switch to 100% fruit juice for the sugar, I'm trying to quit dr.pepper too and I had one really good week using iced tea and fruit juice. You are going to get some major head aches but its worth it. Now I can go a few days with no dr. pepper but its still really hard to say no, but just start cutting back, take one day at a time:happy:
  • chefstef612
    chefstef612 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cutting out soda can be difficult, but I learned recently that both caffiene and caramel coloring (in all cola-type beverages) both inhibit weight loss, so honestly the Diets aren't any worse than the regulars. I highly recommend getting yourself down to no more than 2 cans per day of whatever you stick with because any more than that (whether regular or diet) can have negative effects. When I weened myself down, I used 2-liter or 20-oz bottles & poured myself smaller glasses (4-6 oz instead of 12 oz in a can) so I could have as often but less of it. or the lunch-sized cans they make now could work. I also made myself drink a large (16-24 oz) glass of water before I could have my next soda, so still got my "treat" at the end but was getting the water I needed as well. Good luck & hope you find something that works for you!
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    What about mixing 1/2 diet Dr.Pepper with Regular - and then cutting back on the regular, adding more diet, a bit at a time?

This is genius. Great idea! I don't drink regular soda but if I did, this sounds like a great trick.

p.s I had to edit this because I spelled 'genius' wrong....duhhhh...:blushing:
  • Lynnlin
    Lynnlin Posts: 16
    Options
    I was an addict with mountain dew. Seriously I drank mountain dew like it was water. It was all about my power of will with this. I stopped it and haven't had a sip for a year, three months and a couple of days....somewhere around there...Granted, I went to Pepsi, but I wasn't as bad with it. Since starting my new lifestyle....I've only had a 12 oz of pepsi in seven days. I'm proud of myself...but I drink Crystal Light, the Wild Strawberry...and I'm getting more and more addicted to that! I'll take the 30 Calories to the 300-500 calories any day :P
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Yes, I would attribute Mt Dew to being one of the biggest reason I got as big as I did. I was drinking a 44oz of Mt Dew daily. That's 4550 calories a week I was consuming just on a drinks. I ran the numbers on Dr Pepper and it's similar.

However, there is good news. That's 4550 calories you can eliminate from your diet without changing ANYTHING else. That's roughly a 1.3 lbs a week right there.

You can do whatever you want, but before you focus on changing anything else about your diet: Try eliminate or drasticly reduce your consumption of Dr Pepper.

Here is what I did: Whenever I got the craving for a Mt Dew I had a Diet Coke. Find something as a substitute, tea, V8, etc something with low or now calories. The other thing I did, and I still do this, is I have 1 Mt Dew a week. This way I don't feel deprived.

That has been effective for the past year. I still just have one Mt Dew a week. Now I'm trying to eliminate pop/soda all together, because I beleive it will improve my running. So I've started drinking V8's when I get the craving for some soda. Good Luck.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Coke zero taste just like reg coke. I love it

OH ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so I didn't drink quite as much, but I loved my pop! I had to have it in the morning with breakfast. The thought of water in the mornings just made me ill! But, since I've started trying to be healthier, and drinking more water, I don't allow myself to drink ANYTHING else until I've had all of my cups of water. By that time the day is nearly over and you're too full to drink as many sodas. Honestly, I tried to stop once before and had terrible headaches. This time when I stopped I got a terrible cold the day after and had horrible headaches from all the sinus pressure. By the time I was healed up, I had given myself time to get over the pop. But pop a tylenol to dull the headaches and you can do it!

You don't have to go cold turkey! I just can't believe I never thought of going half and half. I agree...GENIUS!!!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    WOW! 4-5 a day!!!! That's a TON of calories. I can't even begin to imagine how much weight you would lose if you cut those out of your diet. Maybe that could be a focus for you??

Drinking my calories is a huge no no for me. It's so much more worth it to me to have those calories saved for food.
  • vanessa042
    vanessa042 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with another answer anout drinking LOTS of water! I was drinking a lot of soda each day before I started my diet and I didn't think I could stop. But then I started keeping a 24-oz water bottle next to me at all times and I try to drink a cup or so every hour. I haven't had any cravings for soda at all!
  • mddomain
    mddomain Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a complete Dr. Pepper addict. My last sip of regular Dr. Pepper was June 26, 2006. I ate at McDonald's that day and had a Big Mac, large fries, and large Dr. Pepper on my way home from the "weight loss doctor." He suggested that I start keeping a food diary (his only good advice), so I looked up the calories in my meal and almost died of shock. That one meal had enough calories for the whole day! I decided right then that I had to make some serious changes. I knew I couldn't change everything at once, so I chose Dr. Pepper to begin with. I immediately stopped drinking it, and I haven't had one since. I haven't had any sugared soda, with the exception of a Sprite on two occasions when I had an upset stomach. I started by cutting out all soft drinks, and I drank unsweetened tea instead. That helped with the caffeine headaches. After a couple of weeks of that, I decided to try a diet soda, and it tasted VERY sweet to me at that point. Now, I drink one diet soda per day, usually Diet Dr. Pepper or Coke Zero, and sometimes I don't have one at all. Quitting Dr. Pepper was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. I quit smoking much easier than I walked away from DP. But I did it, and you can, too. You just have to find what works for you. Tea and two weeks of no soda at all worked for me. Mixing the regular and diet might do it for you. Best of luck in whatever you decide to try.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I guess that i'm pretty lucky that I prefer Diet Coke over the regular - in fact i can't stand regular!! Funny how people differ! Also, Diet Dr Pepper over regular for me too! It's a good job because I consume loads of both of these! Really trying to drink less of it, not the best things to be drinking in large quantities!
  • kgharigh
    Options
    I gave up diet coke about 2 years ago the hardest dang thing I ever did... I buy the crystal light wild strawberry and wal mart grape flavoring I have the 32 oz bottles that I only use one pack in and mix and throw in the fridge... I manage to get my water in that way ... now I did find plain water I like however it is figi and I can only swing buying those once in a blue moon ... I wish you luck in getting the dr pepper phased out ... it is hard but you can do it ...