I really miss my cheese!

Options
Stereotypes and all, I'm a Wisconsin girl and I LOVE my cheese! I've started working with a weight loss center and am on a new diet, approved by my physician as I have yo-yo dieted for 13 years and now find myself with 101 pounds to lose! I'm one week in, down 6.5 lbs (half water weight) and am on a meal plan where I get plenty of food & pretty balanced, but the one thing I really miss is my cheese. I can have lowfat cottage cheese 3 times a week, but still not the same as melting some cheddar or pepperjack on my chicken or tortilla. Has anyone else had to say goodbye to cheese (or your favorite food), and how did you get through it?

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    There are lowfat cheeses. Sargento makes a pretty complete line of them, and I usually buy them at Walmart. There is also reduced fat parmesan (shredded). I haven't given up cheese or anything else I like and I lost 50 lbs. in 8 months. A little cheese can add a lot of flavor to veggies and other things and without messing with your progress. I have been successful by doing things in moderation so I don't feel deprived. Good luck!!
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    Why do you have to say goodbye to it? I mean there are tons of low-fat options out there that are awesome, my favorite is the weight watchers shredded cheddar. do you have a medical condition where you can't have it at all? do you really have to say goodbye to cheese? I'm sorry but unless I have some serious medical condition where cheese would kill me, I would just refuse to give it up lol I happen to love it too. but if it is just for weightloss I think the lo-fat versions are perfectly acceptable in moderation. hope this helps and good luck!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I buy the Kraft fat free Singles.. Any flavor you like.. It's only 25 cals and kraft makes the creamiest cheese (even fat free!).. Hope that helps.. It's what I do. Oh and the cottage cheese, well I use that in my soups.. Some pieces melt in it. mmmmm. I love cottage cheese though and I use the fat free and only use about 1/4 cup in my soup., any soup.
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    I'm a Wisconsin Girl too. I have cut down on the amount of cheese I eat, and when I want a little cheese on something I buy the fat free American Singles and Fat Free mozzarella or cheddar. Still allows me to have a little, but with much lower calories.
  • Michelle923
    Michelle923 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I use 2% milk fat cheese (I just can't do that no fat cheese) and I am careful to stay within the serving limits. It's still hard because I LOVE cheese, but this way I don't totally deprive myself.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Frigo Brand Light Mozarella String Cheese - 60 calories per 1 ounce stick.
    Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese Wedge - 35 Calories - works great as a replacement for Butter/Mayo on a sandwich or as a snack with crackers.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    OK i feel your pain...i melt cheese on my cheese! Well, not anymore.....

Went two weeks without it....i HATE cottage cheese.....blech!
    Then i went and scoured the deli department until i found something that i could live with....
    i found a cheddar cheese made from skim milk and for a 1/4 cup there is 60 calories, 2 fat grams, 1 carb & 10 grams of protein.
    Still not good for everyday....but definately guilt free eating cheese!!!

Also your deli should have grated parmesan & asiago... look for higher moisture content ones....but to have a tbsp on salad or a wrap adds protein and flavour.... a tbsp doesn't sound like much, but after going without you'll appreciate it!!!
    Good luck!
  • jconway
    jconway Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had to say good-bye to dairy :( WHICH was a daily staple, so it has been tough! However, I was told that my belly fat is mostly dairy and I had to give it up if I wanted to get rid of my muffin top! :) Try to give yourself a cheat day every two weeks. It will give you something to look forward to....and if you must have cheese, part skim mozzarella cheese is best!

Good luck!
  • trishara
    Options
    Stereotypes and all, I'm a Wisconsin girl and I LOVE my cheese! I've started working with a weight loss center and am on a new diet, approved by my physician as I have yo-yo dieted for 13 years and now find myself with 101 pounds to lose! I'm one week in, down 6.5 lbs (half water weight) and am on a meal plan where I get plenty of food & pretty balanced, but the one thing I really miss is my cheese. I can have lowfat cottage cheese 3 times a week, but still not the same as melting some cheddar or pepperjack on my chicken or tortilla. Has anyone else had to say goodbye to cheese (or your favorite food), and how did you get through it?

I have. I still have some once in awhile. Like tonight I am making a pita pizzza. Need cheese for that. I don't put cheese on my sandwiches anymore or make anything with cheese that often anymore. I have it when I want it, but the cravings aren't there anymore. I started this since August. If I really want a "cheese'" burger I have bought soy cheese before. I think it taste fine in things. Melts okay too.
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    oh ya...those laughing cow wedges are awesome!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    JConway--

Whoever told you your belly fat was all dairy is smoking something funny.

You don't get fat from any ONE thing you eat. It is the simple math of calories in, calories burned. When the equation is "weighted" (if you will pardon the pun) in the wrong direction, the result is weight gain. This will happen if you eat nothing but maple bars, or just too much of everything. The only way what you were told could be true would be if you ate nothing else but dairy and ate too many calories!!!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I smoke my own cheese, and I love an apple or cherry smoked cheddar with a beautiful dry red wine! I allow myself an oz. of good quality cheese with a glass of wine a couple times a week. It has enough calories that I count it as my dinner. Those nights I make sure I have a large healthy lunch, and great high nutrient snacks so my body is well feed, then my wine & cheese dinner is more like a bed time snack by the fire place.

I cut my oz. of cheese into pieces about the size of raisins, more like baby crumbles, and eat one with two sips of wine. The taste is so BIG that it only takes a smidgen to get it! I feel like I'm really maximizing my flavor for calorie ratio! I savor every bite, and really enjoy the wine. Breath slowly, feel the texture and ahhhh...:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:

So worth it!

Good luck!
  • Questfor250
    Options
    Kraft Fat Free Shredded Cheddar is perfect for cooking with. Only 45 calories for 1/4 cup. Actually a little too much for an omelet but its works. I just found Kraft Fat Free Mozzarella. I am in heaven now. I too am a huge cheese lover. This gives me an out.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This is why these diets fail. Deprivation. I haven't given up cheese, or really anything at all. However, I have drasticly reduced all of the bad stuff. Portion Control, Portion Control, Portion Control.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I smoke my own cheese, and I love an apple or cherry smoked cheddar with a beautiful dry red wine! I allow myself an oz. of good quality cheese with a glass of wine a couple times a week. It has enough calories that I count it as my dinner. Those nights I make sure I have a large healthy lunch, and great high nutrient snacks so my body is well feed, then my wine & cheese dinner is more like a bed time snack by the fire place.

I cut my oz. of cheese into pieces about the size of raisins, more like baby crumbles, and eat one with two sips of wine. The taste is so BIG that it only takes a smidgen to get it! I feel like I'm really maximizing my flavor for calorie ratio! I savor every bite, and really enjoy the wine. Breath slowly, feel the texture and ahhhh...:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:

So worth it!

Good luck!

PLEASE SEND ME CHEESE!!!!!!!! Yummy. I'm comming to your house for dinner!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. All cheese. I just eat a lot less of it now.
  • jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This is why these diets fail. Deprivation. I haven't given up cheese, or really anything at all. However, I have drasticly reduced all of the bad stuff. Portion Control, Portion Control, Portion Control.

Excellent point - depriving yourself of any type of food you enjoy is a recipe for long-term disaster - better to enjoy a small amount once in a while than to say I will never eat something I enjoy ever again...
  • jentx
    jentx Posts: 244
    Options

So worth it!

Good luck!

PLEASE SEND ME CHEESE!!!!!!!! Yummy. I'm comming to your house for dinner!

was totally thinking the same thing!!! I want to know which cheeses you eat cause you seem to think like I do, and that sounds like an awesome once a week dinner :bigsmile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    The cheese thing was hard for me at first. I can still eat it, of course, but 1 tiny ounce of cheese for 100-120 calories just.. makes me sad. So, I've slowly weaned myself off of it, mostly. I'll still put a little shredded cheddar on my omelet and a little parmesan or asiago on my pasta, but nothing like I used to. I used to just COVER almost everything I ate with cheese. To be honest, it's nice to actually taste the other ingredients now. :wink:
  • Hels40
    Hels40 Posts: 25
    Options
    I loveeee cheese so could never give it up,same as lots of other things i love. I have realised that i will never deprive myself of anything but i will make healthier options instead. I bought Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself - 50% Reduced Fat Medium Red Cheese, 25 g 67 cals which i think is fantastic,it's lovely melted too.I havent heard of the kraft fat free so will look into that.
    Last time i lost a lot of weight i stopped eating all things i loved,when i had lost over 90lbs i got the taste and ate and ate everything i love,lol and put all my weight back on.
    I have found a lovely healthier option to crisps,cheese and chocolate now.:blushing: