Does a granola bar count as a "bread"?

Options
Just wondering....
I have a Kashi Honey Almond Flax bar that is eyeing me. I am seeing what limiting my bread intake will do for me. Any thoughts? *Puts up shield and hides behind for the potential storm a'brewing*

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My thought is that your 89lb weight loss would suggest that you don't need to start arbitrarily eliminating food items. Stick to your plan, it's obviously working.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My thought is that your 89lb weight loss would suggest that you don't need to start arbitrarily eliminating food items. Stick to your plan, it's obviously working.
    ^ what he siad!
  • yannuzzi
    Options
    I agree with other two and if you're asking if it's a CARB like bread....YES IT IS!!! :tongue:
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    @ Sidesteel
    You have a very good point. ....BUT my progress has SLOWED down big time...been hovering around 272-275 for 3 weeks. No me gusta!! I am still learning all the time. BTW...I eat a LOT of bread products.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on what you are actually trying to limit. Is a granola bar bread? No, of course not. Is it carbs? Yes. Is it wheat/gluten? I would think not. So think about WHY you're limiting bread and you should have your answer.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    I agree with other two and if you're asking if it's a CARB like bread....YES IT IS!!! :tongue:

THIS is direction I was going. Thanks.
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    @ Sidesteel
    You have a very good point. ....BUT my progress has SLOWED down big time...been hovering around 272-275 for 3 weeks. No me gusta!! I am still learning all the time. BTW...I eat a LOT of bread products.

Well then try eating less of them. More protein. Shake up your workout routine. Change it up!
  • MelodyAnn323
    MelodyAnn323 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Most granola bars have added sugars and are probably a worse option than bread in my opinion. But! They are so convenient and can be satisfying, so maybe try a protein bar instead for that sweet taste, portability, and a huge hit of protein to keep you full. My favorites are Think Thin and Detour Lower Sugar. Some protein bars have sugar- I would steer clear of those if you're like me and have a hard time eating a "moderate" amount of sugar or refined carbohydrates. Best of luck and congrats on your progress so far!
  • mamamc03
    Options
    I think it would depend on what you are actually trying to limit. Is a granola bar bread? No, of course not. Is it carbs? Yes. Is it wheat/gluten? I would think not. So think about WHY you're limiting bread and you should have your answer.

I think I am trying to limit my obsession with wrapping ALL food with bread. bread, tortilla, pita, biscuit...it's all just a vehicle for the good stuff (i.e. protein & veggies). I love me some meat & veggies...but I LOVE bread around them. Sounds dirty...but it's that way for me. If I fix tuna fish, it HAS to be on bread. If I make fajita chicken & veggies...it MUST be on a tortilla. Sausage - pita or biscuit. I am trying to restructure my thinking and dependence on bread as a necessity in food pairings.
  • shadoewz
    Options
    I wouldn't count a granola bar as 'bread'....first off, since its kashi, it has to have something better than ground up bleached processed wheat in it, correct? I'm also quite sure they don't put yeast in them either. Sure, it has grains in it, but oatmeal is a grain and it's not bread.

Eat the granola bar, or you could mail it to me and I'll eat it for you......yeah...that ;)

:D
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    @ Sidesteel

Your losses are going to slow as you lose, no matter what you do. I would look at lowering calorie intake before eliminating food groups because you weigh less and are burning less because of it.

To answer your question, though, "bread" is a euphamism (sp?) for "grains," and granola is a grain.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    @ Sidesteel

Your progress slowing has nothing to do with the inclusion of bread in your diet, otherwise it would have been slowed from the beginning if we were to use this logic.

If you want to reduce calories further and you choose to do this by removing bread, that's your decision, but the additional progress that it may cause is due to the reduced calorie intake and not from the fact that bread is no longer among your food items.

It's an important point to clarify since people tend to demonize a particular food item with the irrational fear that individual food items can make you fat or inhibit fat loss.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would not count it as bread. It is made from grains like bread, but the grains are whole, not ground into flour as they are in bread.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

THIS is direction I was going. Thanks.

it IS a carb, but how much of it is fiber? I try not to get more than 10-12 net carbs from something like a granola bar, tortilla, etc. I just had a PB sandwich on a low carb/high fiber tortilla--there was only 12 net carbs and 14g of fiber in it! So it really isn't as bad as say a PBJ on white bread....
  • Tkichler
    Tkichler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @ Sidesteel

That could be why you are slowing down. I know if I add in a few too many carbs, I either gain or slow waaaaaay down. May want to cut those back and see if that helps speed things up. Naught little bread products. lol
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it falls into the bread category.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    @ Sidesteel

Your progress slowing has nothing to do with the inclusion of bread in your diet, otherwise it would have been slowed from the beginning if we were to use this logic.

If you want to reduce calories further and you choose to do this by removing bread, that's your decision, but the additional progress that it may cause is due to the reduced calorie intake and not from the fact that bread is no longer among your food items.

It's an important point to clarify since people tend to demonize a particular food item with the irrational fear that individual food items can make you fat or inhibit fat loss.

You are quite knowledgable, or good @ bs'ing :wink: But I think it's the first one. I know it's everything in moderation....with these types of products, I don't think I am keeping within moderation. So I am demonizing my self-control moreso than the bread itself.
  • mamamc03
    Options
    @ Sidesteel

That could be why you are slowing down. I know if I add in a few too many carbs, I either gain or slow waaaaaay down. May want to cut those back and see if that helps speed things up. Naught little bread products. lol

Very useful!! Thank you!! I have watched my sodium, but I have not really watched my carbs.
  • tappleton17
    tappleton17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    eat it! its good far you and has flax seed too
  • firedaemon
    firedaemon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Will it push you over your allowed number of calories a day? If yes then don't eat it.
    It's about moderation with all products, whether that's bread or something else.
    The big thing about carbs is that because they convert to large amounts of sugars, thus calories, you can't eat much of them while staying within moderation.

So cutting down on the carbs is a good idea because then you can eat more of other stuff.