Carb Confusion!???

Options
So, My doctor told me to eat lots of veggies, moderate meat, and as little grain as possible. She says the only way my body seems to respond is low carb. Okay, well veggies have tons of carbs, so, do I ignore those carbs and only focus on counting the grain carbs which are whole grain...If that is so, then how many grain carbs should I have a day to lose weight? Confused!

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    most vegetables don't have a ton of carbs, which ones are you looking at?

Seems strange that your doctor would tell you to go low carb but not tell you

a - how many total calories to eat
    b - how many grams of cabs to eat
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    In your shoes, I think I would address this question to the doctor who gave me this advice. I'm a little skeptical about her advice, but I'm not you, so it doesn't really matter.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Any specific reason she said your body would only respond to low carb?

It is not officially low carb but I really liked South Beach diet for learning how to eat and controlling blood sugar levels. It seems a lot of low carbers on the site keep their carbs at 100g or less/day. I'm not a low carber but I tend to follow glycemic load as a guideline, which is something South Beach diet uses.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    So, My doctor told me to eat lots of veggies, moderate meat, and as little grain as possible. She says the only way my body seems to respond is low carb. Okay, well veggies have tons of carbs, so, do I ignore those carbs and only focus on counting the grain carbs which are whole grain...If that is so, then how many grain carbs should I have a day to lose weight? Confused!

Agree with the poster who said your doc should have given you some guidelines.

He probably said veggies were fine because it's hard to eat so many that you'd eat excessive carbs. They also have fiber which slows down how quickly the carbs are released into your system. Did he say anything about "net carbs"? Subtracting fiber grams from carb grams?

Sounds as though you need to count ALL carb grams if he told you to go low carb. You'd have to ask him what he wants your daily total to be and whether that total is all carbs or net carbs.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Low carb generally means under 30g or under 100g net carbs. That's carbs minus fiber. Veggies have lots of fiber so y'know.

Did your doctor also happen to mention HCG?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Low carb generally means under 30g or under 100g net carbs. That's carbs minus fiber. Veggies have lots of fiber so y'know.

Did your doctor also happen to mention HCG?

:heart:
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor for an appointment with nutritionist - most doctors are crap a diet advise.

You need explict instructions from an expert.

I am diabetic and was told to aim for 30-45 g of net carb (take off fiber and sugar alcohols) per meal to get 90-135 g per day so I set my goals in the MFP macro carb, fat and protein to get there.

Don't listen to anyone here - see a professional please
  • jesseylou22
    Options
    Oh thank you so much... I remember now something about net carbs and subtracting the fiber! :)
  • joanneferrato
    joanneferrato Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Follow Canada Food Guide and eat no more 1200 calories per day. Good Luck and arm yourself with questions when you go see your doctor.:wink:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My guess is you are like me! I only do well low carb. Which means avoiding the starches and sugars, not all carbs. And if you're going to have something that does have carbs, make sure it has great nutritional value (brightly colored). I've given up all bread (I'm allergic to the yeast anyway), switched from white rice to quinoa (or brown rice), got rid of white potatoes in favor of sweet potatoes. Nixed the peas, corn and most fruits. I can have melon, berries, and most veggies. Seems to work well for me!
  • GetFitKris6709
    GetFitKris6709 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just moderate starchy vegetables (Like potatoes) if you are watching carbs. All other vegetables are good to go :)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Follow Canada Food Guide and eat no more 1200 calories per day. Good Luck and arm yourself with questions when you go see your doctor.:wink:

I like how you recommend a 1200 calorie limit while having no knowledge of her height/weight/age and activity levels.

Great advice.