benchpress and free weights

Options
so i have 3 kids and 3 jobs, no time to go off to a gym, but i do run and have free weights, a benchpress, curl bar, other than my cardio machines in my home gym ... what routines or exercises would you recommend? remember i may have only 15-20 minutes here and there but possibly can do things throughout the day

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Well the fastest that would still be highly effective would be something like stronglifts\starting strength with 3 lifts per workout alternating 2 workouts on 3 non consecutive days per week. You could throw in chinups at the end or later in the day when you have a few minutes.

A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

B
    Squat 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Barbell Row 3x5
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Well the fastest that would still be highly effective would be something like stronglifts\starting strength with 3 lifts per workout alternating 2 workouts on 3 non consecutive days per week. You could throw in chinups at the end or later in the day when you have a few minutes.

A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

B
    Squat 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Barbell Row 3x5

Agreed. These routines can easily be done in 30 minutes, and probably more like 20.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    thanks guys, i'll get started on that today =D
  • Jdvail
    Jdvail Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Monday - Push ups 3 sets of 12
    Squat 3 sets of 12
    Toe raises 2x15

Tuesday - Cardio for 15 minutes

stick to a workout program like that... 8-12 reps, triggers lean muscle, not mass! unless you want to get bulky! hahha
    strength train, mon,wend,friday and run tuesday,thursday,sat
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    no im not into bulk for myself hehe
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

stick to a workout program like that... 8-12 reps, triggers lean muscle, not mass! unless you want to get bulky! hahha

:huh:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Squat 3 sets of 12
    Toe raises 2x15

no im not into bulk for myself hehe

OY... Just OY... :huh:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You would LOVE the Venus Index. Lots of young moms do it at home. Check it out at Venus Index Blog and under contests and transformations you will see what it did for them. I am the 51 year old in a pink bikini. It literally changed my life. The workout is designed to make a woman's shape the best ever and it did that for me. It is only 3 days a week for an hour and many moms at home break up the routine. You can read my story on bobbies fitness blog and I have links to Venus Index and I am not a seller or marketer, just super passionate because it literally changed my life and gave me the shape I have always wanted finally at age 50. I was obese most of my life but always tried to be athletic. I didn't achieve this until a year ago and I am 51!
  • Dangerdat
    Dangerdat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    +1 on the first suggested workout plan
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    You would LOVE the Venus Index. Lots of young moms do it at home. Check it out at Venus Index Blog and under contests and transformations you will see what it did for them. I am the 51 year old in a pink bikini. It literally changed my life. The workout is designed to make a woman's shape the best ever and it did that for me. It is only 3 days a week for an hour and many moms at home break up the routine. You can read my story on bobbies fitness blog and I have links to Venus Index and I am not a seller or marketer, just super passionate because it literally changed my life and gave me the shape I have always wanted finally at age 50. I was obese most of my life but always tried to be athletic. I didn't achieve this until a year ago and I am 51!

thanks i'll take a look and congrats!!
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Translation

Hey mother of three working three jobs to support your children, how's about spending money for a magic women only workout when there are so many good routines available for free.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options

Translation

Hey mother of three working three jobs to support your children, how's about spending money for a magic women only workout when there are so many good routines available for free.

yeah i just saw that... sorry not for me .. free is me
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Free was for me until I reached the end of my ropes. I'm glad I learned to invest in myself! :)
  • YoSoyFiesta21
    Options
    Squat 3 sets of 12
    Toe raises 2x15

This is false. Low reps triggers lean muscle in women.
  • YoSoyFiesta21
    Options
    Also, women don't produce enough testosterone in order to get "bulky" so you don't need to worry about attaining that look. Do what you have time for and adjust your workout accordingly.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    Free was for me until I reached the end of my ropes. I'm glad I learned to invest in myself! :)

A copy of Starting Strength book and the 5/3/1 ebook is about all most anyone would need.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options

understand that was good for you, and i do invest in myself. but i just had my 3rd child, my main focus is providing for them, i've lost weight before my 3rd child on my own and it worked for me, now im just looking for pointers on all of the equipment i have at home
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    No one will get bulky unless you are consuming enough. You can't build a house without bricks!
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    she's a brick...house... lol. i do want some nice cut arms