Is it okay to run when you're over 300?

Options
I've looked on the forums and I've seen people post about running in the neighborhood of 240-210 lbs but not any bigger than that.
I'm currently 305 and I was thinking about running. But should I wait until I've lost more weight or would it be acceptable to do it now? I imagine it's going to be worse on my joints now than it will be 60 lbs down the line.

So for those of you that are 300 lbs+ and have started running, when did you start? Did you start right off the bat, or did you wait until you lost more weight?

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Assuming it isn't painful, then you can jog/run at a comfortable pace and distance for as long as you can and walk the remainder. As your weight goes down, and your cardio fitness level increases, you'll be capable of jogging/running for longer duration. Start jogging at a slow pace, initially, to see how that affects your joints. You may experience some level of discomfort, which is alright, but anything that translates to pain is where you'd draw the line and cut back a bit. If you can't run just yet, do not feel disappointed since walking at a fast pace at your weight can burn quite a bit of calories.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Have you started a walking regimen first? I wouldn't recommend someone starting running if they hadn't started walking previously. Running can be tougher on your joints at higher weights but you can incorporate it.

C25k is a decent program but follow what feels right. Many people repeat weeks or alter it to their individual abilities.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Walking doesn't work as quickly, but it's safer and easier to fit in without special clothing or anything. Just walking 30 minutes could give you around a 200-calorie edge each day, I think.

Running can tear up your knees even at 250 pounds, if you don't use good form to avoid bouncing up and down.
  • csolo634
    csolo634 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started at 322lbs and asked my doctor about running. He told me it would be better to start walking or swimming to build up some cardio and strength in the legs and low back. He said you burn nearly as many calories walking as you do running without the negative impact on the joints in the knees, ankles and hips. So far the results have been positive, I've lost 22 lbs with MFP and the energy I have gotten from eating well. I tried a short run during my walk last night and immediately felt discomfort so for me it is to soon. We are all different and progress at different speeds so do what feels right for you but proceed with caution so you avoid injuries that will sideline you for extended periods. The most important thing is to be out doing something instead of doing nothing. Good luck!
  • shaky115
    shaky115 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When you run you burn more cals, but I am 283 and I run a min, walk a minute and I repeat this for 30 mins. You can do it! Just a light jog will get your heart rate up.
  • EvaB93
    EvaB93 Posts: 101
    Options
    You should start yourself walking, than walking fast, than a job, than running !
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've been walking just shy of everyday from 30 minutes- 60 minutes. I've gotten to the point where I can hold a 3.0 pace for several laps, (Around our apartment complex three laps around is a mile) . I also managed a 3.5 pace for about half an hour. I'm sure I could do it, I just don't know if it's the best choice for my joints because I'm so heavy.

Edit: Originally said "Sky" instead of "Shy".
  • MKolek00
    MKolek00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I began exercising at 302. I started running around 280 and completed my first 5k at 260. You can do it
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't know the research, but I do have some thoughts based on personal experience. I have several family members heavier than you. One tried to run and got serious back and knee problems - with good shoes.

I find that jogging or aerobics in the pool take the pressure off my body because of buoyancy, so they are less stressful.

No one can see my body underwater, which makes me feel better about the world in general.

The resistance from the water adds to the workout. So even if I don't work out that long, I feel the workout. And I work out ALL OVER MY BODY - arms, stomach, back, legs, whatever.

Jogging is great. Walking is also great (and I walk faster than I used to jog). But runners are prone to injuries and heavy runners, I am willing to bet, more prone still.

If you want to run - GO FOR IT. I would think about working up to it with lower impact beginnings. Just my two cents.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've talked to many women who started at that weight and walking seems to be better, or low impact. Also light weight training is very important.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't do it, you don't want to regret it later if you mess up your joints.
    I'd start with walking and swimming
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I started this at 274 (280 was my highest).

I didn't start running until I'd lost 30lbs. Even at 244, it was a struggle and my legs felt like lead.

It's only been since below 220 that it feels "okay" minus a bout of sciatica flare up if I push too hard.

I can't wait to see what it would feel like if I get below 200!
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I first decided to try running a few years ago at 320 (something)... I quickly realized I was too big to run. Hurt my back from the impact and that was the end of my running journey.

Recently I've tried running on a treadmill and can go for a minute or so at 4mph but this is extremely hard (at 299 lbs). It hurts my joints and kills my feet/ankles.

I say it would probably be better on your body if you hold off until you are smaller but to each their own. If you want to try go ahead.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bob & Jillian make the Biggest Loser contestants run and they are well over 300 lbs. I guess if it doesn't hurt, why not?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would try walking first, and see a doctor and maybe a PT about developing a weight loss and conditioning plan that will enable you to run over time. You do not want to blow out your knees by running without preparation. I know people who weigh far less than 300 who've done that and it's an awful situation. Forget about exercise, basic mobility is a problem.
  • TheNewBlair
    Options
    OK, so I just thought maybe I would share my experience with you.

I started out at 317.... I would walk a bit, and then one day decided to jog a little. Let me tell you the pain I had the next day.. from shin splits (best guess) was unbearable. I didn't walk for several weeks following that.

I have since then dropped 32 lbs, and just about 3 days ago started the couch to 5K program. I have not had any shin splits or any other pain other than the aches and pains of just being so big, and I look forward to doing the next day.

Best suggestion, start slow... walk for a couple weeks, then maybe jog for 30 seconds... not long and work your way up to it.

That's how I personally did it! Good luck!

*Andrea
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. Have you tried adding some hills or inclines? That will not only help burn calories but get your heart pumping (which is why you want to jog, right?) Good for you for getting out there!
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is always a good idea to open the conversation with your doctor to get their opinion. Around 325, I asked and I was told that it would be fine for me to start. I began with C25K and did my first half marathon around 275. Just keep in mind that if you have any type of joint pain or trouble, the condition may be exacerbated by the impact of running. For me, I have had trouble with my knees my entire life. Inevitably, running led to constant knee pain, and the final diagnosis was that if I continue to run I will need knee replacements. This is an exception to the rule, just one that you should be aware of.

It is absolutely OK to run at any weight, if you are capable, just listen to what your body is telling you! I bet if you try, you'll be pretty amazed at what you can accomplish :flowerforyou:
  • Culley34
    Options
    Why don't you try increasing the speed of your walking or use 2 lb weights when doing it?
    Perhaps consider walking 3.8 or 4.0 mph for a full 60 minutes before you begin to run?

There is no specific uniform answer that confroms to everyone, but pain should be the ultimate arbiter. Also, a sore lower back from running is usually indicative of the fact that your core is weak and needs to be strengthened.

Also - if you can get some biking in, I suggest doing that as well.

But at your weight - I would just tell you to take it slow at first. If you do feel pain or soreness, you'll likely feel it the following morning.
  • GaryRussell123456
    Options
    If you can do it then go for it. Listen to your body. If you get aches and pains then back off, if not then carry on.