I need help!!!! :(

Options
BMR? Calorie counting? I'm so green, it's not even funny..

I am at 162lbs now. I am trying to lose 30-40 lbs. 30 is my goal and then I will assess and see if I need to lose more. I work out 5 days a week for 45 minutes of walking/jogging/running. I also lift on selected days (one day full body, one day just legs, etc)
Each 45 minutes on the treadmill burns 400-500 calories, depending on the intensity of the slope, etc. Right now, my goal is set up to lose 2 lbs a week which is making me intake 1200 calories. My BMR is 1476. So I am confused.. I've only been at this for two weeks (this is my second week), so of course I see no progress yet. Is it better for me if I move it to 1lb a week and why? I've read so many of your topics on this, but I figured I'd ask to clarify it better for myself.

Replies

• msgabismit
    Options
    No one? Seriously!? C'mon, enlighten me folks. I feel so retarded when it comes to these things.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    One pound a week will give you more caloric wiggle room but honestly, you need to do the same thing for at least 4 weeks, THEN reassess your fitness goals.
  • ameliasnelling
    Options
    I've always been told the slower you lose weight, the harder it is to gain the weight back. I think you're on the right track, but maybe up your calories to 1400-1600 per day, or you're going to starve. Make sure you are cutting way back on carbs, up your lean proteins. The kinds of calories count, not just the number. You're not going to lose much if you eat 1200 of twinkies all day, you know? Also drink lots of water. If you don't drink enough water, your body will retain water. I've been dieting for over a year and I'm still learning.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    And as always... make sure you are NETTING 1200 calories - if you only consume 1200, but burn 500, you are only netting 700 - and your body won't cooperate.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    And as always... make sure you are NETTING 1200 calories - if you only consume 1200, but burn 500, you are only netting 700 - and your body won't cooperate.

This too. In reality, I'd bump to at least your BMR.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi Lady,

I agree, it's super confusing.

Your BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate -- how many calories your body would burn if you sat and breathed all day.

Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure -- how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight.

Many nutritionists have told me that you need to NET (not just eat) above your BMR, but below your TDEE to lose weight.

I go into a little more detail in my blog post: http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-weight-loss-technique.html

Good luck!
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Thank you all. This actually makes more sense now. LIke I said before I am green. With a capital G. :) So I will definitely increase my calorie intake to my BMR, and start there.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    At your starting weight and fitness level, it's probably more reasonable/healthy to lose .5 lbs a week. 2lbs would be for someone a lot heavier. :-p
  • msgabismit
    Options
    FIgured it out. Calorie intake changed. Hopefully, I start seeing results soon.
  • Manoca94
    Options
    You don't want to eat to few calories, because that can make your body go into starvation mode where it will hold on to everything. Make sure you feed your body enough in healthy calories. Don't cut out the healthy carbs, because that can mess up things. Eat balanced and exercise! Don't get discouraged. :smile:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi Lady,

Your BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate -- how many calories your body would burn if you sat and breathed all day.

Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure -- how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight.

Many nutritionists have told me that you need to NET (not just eat) above your BMR, but below your TDEE to lose weight.

I go into a little more detail in my blog post: http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-weight-loss-technique.html

Good luck!

^^^^^ Well said, I agree! You should be eating above your BMR and below your TDEE. In a nutshell 1200 is too low.
  • nicolars1977
    Options
    Eat less to lose fat and workout to maintain/gain muscles mass.... i set a goal to lose 1lb per week (so far lost 3.4 in 25 days) i eat the calories the system tells me to eat, i have a sedentary desk job so the system also based it on that, so it all depends what you set for your goals, 2lbs is alot but only you know what will work for you, try a few weeks at 1lbs first i would recommend, and i have only eaten some of my workout calories once because i was still hungry, i do have a personal trainer friend that pounds it in my head that i should eat them back, i've not been here for long so i am still working through it. good luck
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx

Here's another website about calculating TDEE and BMR. I've been trying to hit somewhere inbetween these 2 numbers for me and slowly I'm losing a little. I lost inches first which is really more important. There are lots of websites if you google TDEE & BMR. Good luck!
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    You don't want to eat to few calories, because that can make your body go into starvation mode where it will hold on to everything. Make sure you feed your body enough in healthy calories. Don't cut out the healthy carbs, because that can mess up things. Eat balanced and exercise! Don't get discouraged. :smile:

correct...your body will hold onto everything you take in and starts breaking down your muscles for the energy it needs. It's an ugly cycle! I workout 5 days a week 90 mins a day and my trainer has me at 1400 calories a day. just make sure you're getting most of your calories from protein and veggies rather than from fruits and grains!
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Hi Lady,

Good luck!

^^^^^ Well said, I agree! You should be eating above your BMR and below your TDEE. In a nutshell 1200 is too low.

This makes sense..thank you!!! :)So eating above the BMR and below TDEE or netting above it and below?
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I have a LOT to learn still. Exercise is going ok so far. There are days I want to be lazy, but I am determined not to be!
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi Lady,

Good luck!

This makes sense..thank you!!! :)So eating above the BMR and below TDEE or netting above it and below?

I would say netting. But that depends on whether you eat your exercise calories or not -- and that's a debate in and of itself
  • msgabismit
    Options
    I do eat my burned calories just because I've heard that I have to. Often times I am not really that hungry, but I get a little snack just to be able to eat some of those calories back and sometimes I'm freaking starving and eat them all back. I will have this eventually figured out. lol
  • msgabismit
    Options
    I would say netting. But that depends on whether you eat your exercise calories or not -- and that's a debate in and of itself

By the way, your blog=amazing! :) Thanks
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hi M. I just wanted to add a few words of encouragement. You are at the start of a journey and must learn some things along the way in order to reach your destination. Weight loss lingo is confusing at first but look what you've already discovered just by posting this one time.

I've lost and regained several times over the past years. Each time, I learn something new. When I was young I would go ALL OUT to lose weight fast. I thought 1000 to 1200 cal per day was the only thing that worked. I know different now. For me it always led to a back lash or binging and gaining what I'd lost.

For me MOST important thing is slow and permanent changes to lifestyle. That means regular exercise (both cardio and strength building) and a modest food plan..... forever. This doesn't rule out the occasional treat. I know how hard it is when family events are focused on yummy food. Keep my long term goal in mind and forgive myself when I give in to a craving or skip a day of exercise. Ani