Looking for mild fish recipes

Options
I wanted to make a request- my husband and I don't eat fish (actually have never really had it before) and I like to try new flavors but there are so many types of fish out there I'm a little hesitant. I'm looking for some simple recipes (they don't have to be super low in calories, my husband and I eat about 1900 a day for now) that are flavorful but not too fishy so that we can get a feel for the texture and taste without being overwhelmed. We like spicy food, and we're not too picky with most things (at least, I'm not) so anything yall could share would be greatly appreciated! I was also thinking something along the lines of a dip/casserole that could be served as a crostini or with rice would be a great starting place.
Thanks!

Replies

• fishes135
    Options
    this is great
    Baked Fish Parcels
    Serves: 2
    These parcels are quick to prepare (and can be assembled in advance if required),
    and are great served with rice or noodles.

Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon cornflour
    1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
    1 large clove garlic, peeled and chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped coriander (optional)
    1 medium carrot
    100-150 g green beans or asparagus
    300 g fish fillets (cod, tarakihi, gurnard, snapper or salmon)

Preheat the oven to 200° C with a baking tray in the centre of the oven.

Measure the soy sauce and lemon juice into a small bowl. Add the cornflour and mix until the are no lumps,
    then stir in the sweet chilli sauce, garlic and chopped coriander (if using).

Cut the carrot into thin julienne's and top and tail the beans or trim the asparagus spears and cut them diagonally into 5cm pieces.
    Place a 30x40 cm piece of baking paper (or foil) on a dinner plate (this stops the sauce running off) and place half the vegetables
    in the middle. Place one serving of the fish on top of the vegetables, then drizzle the stack with half the sauce.
    Fold up the edges of the baking paper (or foil) sheets and seal loosely with paperclips. Repeat the process on another
    sheet of paper or foil.

Carefully lift the parcels onto the hot baking tray in the oven, then bake at 200° C for 12 minutes. Remove the tray from the
    oven and allow the parcels to cool for a few minutes before serving with rice or noodles.

you can also just mix and match the vegies in it and add what ever you like , tomato zucchini olive garlic and a little lemon juice is also great
  • stephiegirl1215
    Options
    Oh thanks, that sounds great!
  • wrinju
    wrinju Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like talapia because it's so mild and takes on any flavor I give it.

Tonight we are having fish tacos. I just take the frozen talapia and sprinkle some taco seasoning on it bake for about 20 minutes or so break it up and put in in a corn tortilla shell with lettuce, tomatoe or salsa, sometimes cheese and eat. YUMMY Very low cal. You can dress the tacos anyway you want.

Or just bake with lemon and a little butter it's really good too.

Sometimes we will coat it with shake and bake or crushed special K and bake it on a cooling rack and it's like fried fished.

Good Luck!
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    cod loin is all white and pretty easy to cook we wrap in tin foil with some evoo under it. Add a little sprinkled lemon juice if you want and then simple seasoning. Cook till white and flaky all the way through. We grill it.
    Salmon is a little stronger flavor. We make this almost the same way or pan fry both sides quickly with high heat then cover and finish in the oven. USually just salt and lots of pepper.
    Talapia is mild if you cut out the dark part in the middle. I heat EVOO with sliced garlic till garlic is crispy, add in a fillet or however many I am cooking, season with salt and pepper and cook about 3 minutes per side. I like this a lot with sticky rice and mixed vegies as leftovers.
    Albacore tuna is good in a can, just never with oil. Mix with miracle whip or with lite rach and fill a pocket and that is pretty good.
    We just had shrimp and put frozen in cold water and slowly heated till boiling.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I recommend petrale sole-its a mild white fish like tilapia but is better for you-i found out recently that tilapia can have a lot of toxins in it because of the way its farmed. My fish guy told me that-i was like why dont you ever stock tilapia? And he explained why. I googled and what i found confirmed it. Sucks, cos i do like tilapia a lot, but not at the expense of my health.

Anyway tho, for tilapia, sole, or halibut (i recommend sole fore mildness), i shake some seasoning-garlic pepper, Rufus Teagues Fish rub-just whatever seasoning you'd like) into a quarter cup of egg beatersor egg whites. Mix, dip fish in it, then roll fish in crispy quinoa cereal ( have only found this at Whole Foods in the bulk bins, but its soo good, and versatile. Its meant to be cereal but you can use it for breading, ect).

Spray a fry pan on medium heat with Pam and cook just til done and the quinoa is nicely browned. I serve with my own low cal honey dijon mustard sauce. Its SO GOOD. Writing this down has actually made me want it for dinner tonight now-i think a quick supermarket trip may be in order :>
  • ezwryder
    Options
    How about scallops? Have you tried those? The right ones, done the right way are tasty and low cal. If they're available to you, the Atlantic Sea Scallop is a mild, sweet meat, and large. Average sea scallops are about one ounce each. When we fix them, I figure about six to eight per person.

There are two issues with how they're typically prepared in restaurants. They're often overcooked and drowned in butter. You don't need to do that to get an outstanding entree. Here's my method:

1 lb Atlantic Sea Scallops (typically about 14 to 16 in a pound)
    2 tsp olive oil
    Seasoning of your choice - lemon pepper, jerk, montreal seasoning, bay seasoning (experiment!)

Rinse scallops in cold water then pat dry on a paper towel
    Put scallops and olive oil in a closed container and shake well to get a very light, even coating of oil on the scallops
    Arrange in a glass baking dish, ensuring there is some space between them so they'll cook through evenly
    Sprinkle your choice of seasoning lightly on top of scallops, according to your taste
    Put on the top rack of your oven on high broil
    Broil for about six to eight minutes until the tops of the scallops just begin to brown
    Remove and serve immediately
    Finally, pocket the $25/person you'd typically spend for the same in any restaurant

I usually have these ready to go in as I'm preparing a meal, then pop them in just as everything else is finishing up. They're best served right out of the oven, but even when they cool a little they still seem to disappear quickly.

Mmmmm. Now I'm thinking scallops tonight!
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add a tip on cooking scallops-if youre trying to get that yummy golden brown crust on them, be sure to pat them dry thoroughly! Not just a quick pat-make a point to make sure theyre totally dry (dont squeeze them or anything of course!). Just pat the outsides dry really well. Then theyll crust up fabulously :)
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I usually simply take the filet pat it dry with a paper towel sprinkle both sides with lemon pepper and put it in a lightly oiled glass baking dish.pop it in the oven until it is flaky...YUMMY!!!!!