Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!

Options
Now that I have your attention, I'm wondering what y'all's opinions are on chocolate. I've heard some say that any sweets at all will mess up your lifestyle/diet plan. But, others say that a wee bit of chocolate can even be a healthy addition. In my family we get organic milk chocolate and when I do have any I only eat one square. So, is this chocolate a setback? Could it even be a healthy addition? If it's okay to eat sometimes, how often? These are all things I've been wondering for awhile and would love some insight on. Also any other info you have, not just answers to these particular questions.
Anyone who wants to, feel free to add me. I love when messages are included in friend requests, but they're not necessary.

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Now that I have your attention, I'm wondering what y'all's opinions are on chocolate. I've heard some say that any sweets at all will mess up your lifestyle/diet plan. But, others say that a wee bit of chocolate can even be a healthy addition. In my family we get organic milk chocolate and when I do have any I only eat one square. So, is this chocolate a setback? Could it even be a healthy addition? If it's okay to eat sometimes, how often? These are all things I've been wondering for awhile and would love some insight on. Also any other info you have, not just answers to these particular questions.
    Anyone who wants to, feel free to add me. I love when messages are included in friend requests, but they're not necessary.

I have probably 5 kinds of chocolate in my fridge RIGHT now. I have some pretty much every day! I think having something like that is important so you don't feel deprived. Deprivation is what makes "diet" a four letter word...
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    All things in appropriate quantity and moderation.

Heck, I just had a piece of chocolate meringue pie. Still came in under my total calorie count quite comfortably.

I'd rather eat one piece now and then rather than feel all deprived and resentful.
  • Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    They say really dark chocolate is good for you.
  • oceansablue
    Options
    I think it's important to have things in moderation. No one died from eating a little chocolate, just don't go out and eat an entire bag of hershey kisses. Also, I have a tendecy to go for the dark chocolate (and I mean the real bittersweet stuff) which I've heard is better than regular milk chocolate.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    No way I'm givin' up my chocolate!!!

I eat it, I work it into my daily plan. Right now the chocolate of the day is Hershey's Miniatures. A few weeks back it was Fun Size 3 Muskateers.

If this is going to be a lifestyle change, I need to work what I enjoy eating into my new lifestyle.

What will set me back is depriving myself of what I want. So for me, it's something I have to learn to control and fit it into mydaily goals.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    No one food is bad for you. It's the amount of food, especially unhealthy food, that matters long-term.

I eat dark chocolate and have a serving or two everyday, as long as it's within my calorie goals.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I eat a square of Ritter Sports Bars (hazelnut and marzipan with dark chocolate) a few nights a week (just had one). 35 calories.

A great treat. I am not going to give up the great small pleasures of life for the rest of my life.
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    In another thread I mentioned that the Green & Black's 85% dark chocolate is a big favorite/go to of mine when I need a chocolate fix. The nutritional info is something like 5g fiber, 20% iron, plenty of healthy fat; yah I'd say it's not too bad :)
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Eat your chocolate! Just dont let it eat you. I had salted caramel, and coconut gelato. It was divine!
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is a part of my diary every day. Yup. Every day. :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    Dark chocolate is always my favorite. The best part is I got over liking milk chocolate, it gives me tummy aches now, dark chocolate is the best! It's soo good for you too! Try Lindt 70% Smooth Dark Chocolate. It should really be 70% & up. My favorite snack is almonds with 4 squares of dark chocolate.
  • Arunakae
    Options
    Wow, thank you all so much! This helped a ton :) You're all magnificent!
  • missattitude57
    Options
    If you want a chocolate fix but maybe with some other nutritional content, I had two awesome chocolate things today: Weight Watchers Toasted Coconut mini bars (sooooo tasty and only 70 cals and 4g fibre) and Fibre1 Chocolatey Fudge 110 Calorie Brownies (110 cals, 5g fibre)
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is a superfood. It is surprisingly high in antioxidants. Studies have shown it may improve cardiovascular function, reduce blood pressure, prevent plaque build up in your arteries. It reduces black acids that cause tooth decay. Dark chocolate has a low glycemic index similar to that of oatmeal

Cocoa and chocolate naturally contain iron, One average dark chocolate bar can deliver nearly 12 percent of your daily magnesium requirement. and 14% of your daily intake of copper. Chocolate also contains potassium. And one serving of milk chocolate provides approximately 8 percent of the required daily allowance for calcium.

A diet that is rich with MUFAs (monounsaturated fatty acids) can help reduce belly fat. And MUFAs can be found in dark chocolate.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate in some form everyday. I make room for it in my calorie count because it makes me happy.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    at my TOM I have 1/2 a Hershey Special Dark Chocolate Bar (95 cal) daily. Must have at that TOM.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I like the blue diamond dark chocolate roasted almonds, the green&black mint dark chocolate or my good friend artic zero "ice cream"... I don't eat it often but always have it on hand...
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    There is always room in your diet for a bit of chocolate. Especially dark chocolate. Two things I NEVER gave up when losing weight - Chocolate and wine. My relationship with chocolate is one of the most satisfying relationships in my life LOL
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I definitely eat chocolate. Dark chocolate only though. I've cut back a lot once I started watching what I eat and eating better overall. I don't feel it hurts any if you have a small piece here and there especially if you make it a point to exercise.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I loooove chocolate! :love: I'll get something with chocolate from time to time.. just moderation.

And...
    Dark chocolate is a superfood. It is surprisingly high in antioxidants. Studies have shown it may improve cardiovascular function, reduce blood pressure, prevent plaque build up in your arteries. It reduces black acids that cause tooth decay. Dark chocolate has a low glycemic index similar to that of oatmeal
    I might have to try switching to dark!