Plantar Fasciitis

Options
Does anyone else suffer from this? It's very painful for me to exercise or even walk for that matter. I'm going to the Dr. on Saturday, but I don't want to give up before then. I feel like I could easily use it for an excuse. What are some other ways I could burn some calories and not hurt myself?

Replies

• Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The key to overcoming plantar fasciitis is to get a really good pair of shoes that will absorb the impact from your feet. I would also suggest not walking on cement (sidewalks), but that's all I've done when I've had issues in the past.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have this too! Sadly, it was the end of cute sandals is summer for me and I spent three weeks in runners in August. I corrected it through the better shoes and by massaging my foot under my desk pretty much all day on a frozen metal water bottle. A golf ball would work too. I also had my chiropractor (I already see one regularly) adjust my ankles and feet and did a lot of stretching.

The three weeks in ugly runners was the worst, but totally worth it as I am pain free now. Take care of this ASAP!
  • hgbewonyo
    Options
    Best thing for Plantar faciitis is to get and arch support for your feet. Preferably a custom one. You can go to http://www.footsolutions.com/problems/plantar-fasciitis
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    what about something like pilates or yoga? You wont get the burn quite like cardio but the movements might actually help you out. It's hard....I know. I've had problems with it too. I just bought a belly dancing dvd....maybe something like that?

BTW, it's good to see you posting. I haven't been following up on you, but I commented on your post last week. I hope you and your family are doing well!
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This happened to me about a year ago. I had to stop wearing sandles and flip flops for a while and could only wear my running shoes (great arch support), low heels for work, or flats if I put in Dr. Sholes arch supports. After a month or so of doing that it healed itself... good luck!
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    yep, Get good shoes. You can sit down, put heel of foot on other knee propping it up. With your hand grap your toes and ball of your foot and gently pull back, stretching out the bottom of your foot. with your other hand rub down the bottom of your foot. This massages the tendons on the bottom of your foot. It will help with pain. Mine went away with this. Might help. I didn't want the injections and was trying everything first.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/HTP-Plantar-Fasciitis-Heel-Seats/dp/B0001LB47Q/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3

I recommend these to everyone with this problem! They are amazing! Along with getting some quality shoes for time spend on your feet. I wear dansko clogs at work (I'm a hairdresser) and birkenstocks around the house. I put these heel cups in my crocs for work for a few weeks and now I rarely need them! I can even go barefoot without pain. Stretch and rest when you can but these really helped.

ETA: Check out the Walking Company and Footsmart for cute supportive shoes. They can be expensive but if you wear them frequently it's a good investment!
  • valerian101
    valerian101 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of Crocs specially made for this condition. I found the cause of the problem was that I was wearing sloppy shoes which did not support the feet. I've learnt my lesson and have had no pain for three years now.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had to do swimming and biking for awhile to ease my pf. I also do stretching, frozen water bottle, custom orthotic arch support, and I don't go barefoot or wear flip flops or any cute sandals. I've had cortisone shots as well. It's taken 6 months, but I'm finally able to walk without limping, and I'm mostly pain free. It sucks, but it does get better if you work at it.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Oh no! So sorry that you're experiencing this! Some exercises you can do:

1. Punches! Gets your heart beat up.
    2. calf raises (I find them helpful for stretching foot, but could hurt you)
    3. planks (normal, side)
    4. most upper body exercises
    5. pilates (laying down)

To relieve pain- I used a tennis ball under my desk and putting my toes on the edge of a step and letting my heel hang down brought me the most relief.

Good luck! Hope it goes away soon!!!
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have occasional flare ups but they are rarer the more weight I lose.
    I'm able to burn calories on a Tony Little gazelle Edge glider, it's relitavely low impact, and I use Dr Schol's supports
  • qnofharts
    Options
    I have this and I bought some Orthaheel flip flops. I LIVE IN THEM! They are so comfy and some aren't that bad looking either. Also i have an orthotic that i wear at night that stretches my foot while i sleep and that helps alot.
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!! I have this...was running in a few 5ks and then BAM! End of March had the worse pain. I still cannot run anymore :sad: :sad: and I miss it so much! I have been sleeping in the boot every night since April. Do the stretches and wear the heel pads. I mainly workout with DVD's now...and can tell if I don't wear the boot at night!
    Not in as much pain, but the one thing I miss most is being able to jog!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    :grumble: I use to have them too AND MANNN did they hurt. I looked online and found some stretches to do when I first wake up and they helped A LOT.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've had this as well. The best things:

Good, supportive shoes
    Stretching / massage --look up on the Internet, or get from your doctor

I found it particularly helpful to do the specific stretching exercises before getting out of bed and putting any weight on the affected foot / feet.

Good luck. I know how painful this can be.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yeah. PF usually means something is wrong with your footwear, or with your running technique. It would make a lot of sense to get fitted again for running shoes, and to put some research into proper technique. In the meantime, can you ride a bike? Lift weights, especially on a bench?
  • tubaman58
    Options
    I agree..... shoes, find a pair that feel good, don't just take someone's advice, but try them out.....
  • msrottie
    Options
    sooo painful, and I agree the end of sandals and flip flops for me, I need a supportive shoe now - but the one thing that really helped, and that I still do every single day- is to stretch my feet towards my shins before I even sit up in bed in the morning. Do not put weight or stand on your feet without doing the stretching. PF is caused by the membrane covering the muscle to shrink or tighten. when you then walk on it, you feel the pain. stretching your foot down, like pointing your toes actually shortens the muscle/membrane more (your foot does this in your sleep sometimes), so you need to do stretch it up and lengthen the bottom of the foot a few times before putting weight on it. In 2010 my doctor was telling me arch supports for big bucks, and learning to live with it etc, and I learned this stretch trick, and I really haven't had pain since, though sometimes my feet feel "tight" so I take a few minutes to stretch them. sincerely hope this helps you too.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with this for years, and I finally found a pair of shoes which helps my feet. I wear Dansko clogs to work every day, and it's helped me control the PF. That, and never wearing flip flops or going barefoot!
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If you want a really good arch support, but can't afford to get custom made orthotics, you could try Arch Molds. I've used these and found them really helpful and I've also had orthotics years ago. I no longer need inserts at all and find my Nike's have enough support. Good luck!