Plantar Fasciitis

Options
13»

Replies

• mrsdutra07
    Options
    I don't know if they have a store where you live, but I invested in Good Feet Arch Supports. You go to the facility and they fit you for them. They are relatively expensive, but boy do they help! I have a couple different sets - the big mamma jammas only go in my running shoes, but I have a thinner, more discreet set that goes in dress shoes and pumps for work. Look them up!

Also, rolling your feet on frozen water bottles, stretches, supportive shoes, all of that is great advice. If it keeps up, see your doctor. I also notice the more weight I lose, the better I feel.

Good luck!
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else suffer from this? It's very painful for me to exercise or even walk for that matter. I'm going to the Dr. on Saturday, but I don't want to give up before then. I feel like I could easily use it for an excuse. What are some other ways I could burn some calories and not hurt myself?

I have it due to high arches. My custom orthodics help 100%. I know when they are starting to get worn down b/c my hips will start to hurt again. Luckily my insurance covers them. Mine got so bad that I got to the point where I was hobbling. I had to get cortisone injections in my heels. If your feet hurt, everything hurts.

Swimming doesn't require being on your feet. Chair dancing. Or that machine at the gym that's like a bicycle but you "petal" with your arms.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I had to get special shoe inserts tha were quite expensive. I wore very supportive shoes. I had it bad. To the point where I was having to crawl to the bathroom in the mornins if I had been on my feet the previous day. After I started losing weight it slowly went away. I did a lot of exercise on the bikes and the elliptical. Walking on a treadmill or on the cement was just brutal punishment. Also roll your foot over a bottle of water that has been frozen really helps. Hope it gets better. This is awful to have!
  • kimharper13
    Options
    My insurance paid 100% of my Air Cast from the doctor. Also, I recommend you try swimming if there is an indoor pool anywhere around you. I've started swimming each day and you burn a LOT more calories swimming than you can walking or even biking.
  • antizoni1
    Options
    stretch it out in the mornings
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know what that was but sure enough. That is what my pain is! I have been just sucking it up but bet it's way worse because I've been living in flip flops for months now... Oops! Hope you feel better soon. Pilates is great, not a lot of standing.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have it too and had to have prescription orthotics made and they helped tremendously! When it was really bad and I could barely get out of bed, I had to do stretching exercises before I could even stand up. All you have to do is straighten your leg and point your toes towards you, hold for ten seconds and do that ten times. It makes a huge difference. There is also some sort of strap you can wear to keep your ankles at a 90 degree angle while you sleep. Some people freeze a water bottle and roll their foot over it. I hate ice so I didn't do that much. lol
    I kind of have a hard time walking if I overdo it, as in more than 2 miles a day or it will get irritated. I can bike easily 10 miles (now even with a broken foot) and swim or do water aerobics pain free though.
    Good luck and I pray you get relief and treatment. If you don't you will end up with heel spurs and they hurt more than PF!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I read through all the answers, and didnt notice anyone mention chiropractors. My 11 yr old had what was right before full blown PF....Went to a conventional doctor who didnt do anything but want to refer her to a sports medicine doc, which was fine, but she couldnt even walk! (She was playing basketball when this came about)....My husband brought her to his chiro from that appt....he does shiro work, but has a sports medicine background. Long story short, she WALKED out of the office. He showed my husband what to do to help her. And it worked. This coming from a recommendation of a friend, who's wife suffered for a year with it in both. He said in one week, he had her 90% better than she was. I swear by my chiro for keeping me lined up, but I had NO idea what they could do. VERY pleased. Worth a shot??
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have (had?) this condition. It was because I was doing this walk-run program and I was over 300 lbs and not as young as I used to be.

I only had it in my right foot thankfully. To alleviate the pain I did a few things.
    1) Got a "night splint" which sort of held my foot steady closer to 90 degrees with respect to the ankle. That kept the tendons stretched over night and didn't have to endure that brutal pain with the first step of the day. Worked amazing

2) Got foot orthotics. Needed a prescription for that, but my insurance paid the 1st $300 of the $390 total tab. Bargoon

3) Got some Birkenstock sandals and wore them *all the time* at home. Birkenstocks have a unique shape and somehow really made the difference.

I got the Birks a couple months after 1 and 2, and it was then that I started to notice healing. Coincidence maybe.

I found that I could always exercise with the elliptical machine and stationary bike. Anything to do with walking however was off my list because I do not like pain.

That was a few years ago and the pain is gone now, but I fear that it may come back. So the number one thing I need to do is lose a lot of weight before trying running again.
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I tried everything from insoles, icing, and stretching. I finally had it checked by a podiatrist after my GP's advice was just not helping. It turned out I had a combo of PF and Baxter's Neuritis. I got a steroid shot in the bottom of my foot and bought 2 sets of Pro-Step insoles. I laid off running, long-distance walking, and elliptical, stuck with biking and swimming only. One month later I was totally back to normal.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I had that but I'm over it. THis is what I did. Every morning before my feet even touched the floor I would take my hands and force stretch my feet. Pull your toes towards your knees with a lot of effort. Over time this worked and eased the pain of even getting out of bed. And ADVIL to reduce inflamation. It take time to get rid of. Just do your stretches.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I got a steroid shot in the bottom of my foot

D:
    Was that really horrible?
  • nerolimoon
    nerolimoon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had this a couple of years ago, it was really painful and had me hobbling about. I went to the doctor and as it turned out, like so many of the other posters, it was down to my flimsy summer sandals, and it pretty much went away after I switched back to wearing shoes. But I've been really interested in hearing other peoples' experiences, I'll be much better prepared if it ever comes back!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I read through all the answers, and didnt notice anyone mention chiropractors. My 11 yr old had what was right before full blown PF....Went to a conventional doctor who didnt do anything but want to refer her to a sports medicine doc, which was fine, but she couldnt even walk! (She was playing basketball when this came about)....My husband brought her to his chiro from that appt....he does shiro work, but has a sports medicine background. Long story short, she WALKED out of the office. He showed my husband what to do to help her. And it worked. This coming from a recommendation of a friend, who's wife suffered for a year with it in both. He said in one week, he had her 90% better than she was. I swear by my chiro for keeping me lined up, but I had NO idea what they could do. VERY pleased. Worth a shot??

I mentioned my chiro and definitely second this. I still get regular adjustments on my feet and ankles but I swear by my chiro for a million different reasons.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I got a steroid shot in the bottom of my foot

D:
    Was that really horrible?

I've gotten several cortisone shots. I wouldn't call it "horrible" but it's definitely not pleasant. My doctor is funny, he says "this will tickle". Um... that's nothing like a tickle. It's a stick in your heel. For over a day, I "felt" like the needle was still in my heel. But... usually by the next day my feet felt better and I could walk again, so it's worth it.
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It wasn't fun, but it was temorary compared to what I was enduring every morning.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had this and after trying everything I ended up having a cortisone injection in my foot, it done the trick after months of suffering.Very painful....
    x2
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Right now I am dealing with what seems to be Plantar Facitis in my heal and top of foot pain which may be tendonitis. Do you think the stretches for the PF help the top of the foot problem or make it worse. When I pull my toes towards my knees the top of my foot hurts more.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    get into a quality pair of shoes. no flip flops or sandals.

My doctor recommended 2 aleve 2x a day & rolling frozen water bottles for 20 minutes. I suffered for about a year before I got help. It took 2 months to correct.

I still think about my feet hurting about once a week and I'm so thankful I finally can walk without the pain.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Right now I am dealing with what seems to be Plantar Facitis in my heal and top of foot pain which may be tendonitis. Do you think the stretches for the PF help the top of the foot problem or make it worse. When I pull my toes towards my knees the top of my foot hurts more.

if it's tendinitis the stretches shouldnt hurt anything but icing the area will help drastically. ice seems to be a good "go to" but you gotta ice it for a decent time... not just a cold compress for 5 minutes.