Breakfast problems - HELP

Options
Hello!

As I continue my high school years, I'm stuck on the eating part. I get up around 6:30am, get dressed, do my hair, etc. The only thing NOT added to that list is breakfast. One of THE most important things to have in your daily calorie intake. I was homeschooled for a good part of my education, so I could wake up at 11am and eat lunch. I've never been a breakfast person.

You're probably wondering what the question or problem even is. Well, every time I get breakfast in the morning, I get sick. And if you've ever been sick at school, it is NOT fun. So instead of that, I just don't eat breakfast. Lunch isn't until 11:15am. By the time lunch comes, I'm starved.

My chemistry teacher was randomly talking about people eating breakfast. He mentioned that your body has nowhere to get energy, so it just starts eating itself. Also, it slows down your metabolism and causes you to GAIN weight. Oh, heaven help us. I do not need to gain weight, I need to lose. Without getting sick in the morning.

I'm really puzzled about this. No matter what I eat, I get sick. And for the past couple days at school, i've been having some kind of acid feeling in my stomach and throat. Do you know what that is? I don't want to be sick, I want to eat breakfast, but I need help.

Do any of you have suggestions? Have you maybe had the same problem? Thanks for any comments! :)

Replies

• NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should start with something really small and build yourself up? A glass of fruit juice or a few strawberries/raspberries etc. perhaps. When your body gets used to that you could slowly build in heavier foods and proteins.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    First question....what are you eating and drinking for breakfast? I know you said you get sick no matter what you try but it would definitely help everyone to see what you have tried.

Other than that....start slow. Maybe eat about 30 min after you get up, very small amount. I hate eggs (they make me feel all barfy) but something really basic, like a piece of toast with some peanut butter, might be good to try. Half of a protein bar, etc. Might be good to try things you can take with you, so you can nibble slowly while you're on the go. That way your stomach has time to acclimate and get used to it?

If you keep having problems, I'd get checked out by a health professional. Have them check if you're lactose or gluten intolerant. I had a friend who kept getting really sick in college after eating/drinking sometimes; turns out she had celiac and never knew about it. Once she got off the gluten she was totally fine.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, I can't eat as soon as I get moving either. I wake up at 6:00 and don't eat till 8:30 or 9:00 (I'm lucky that it's OK that I eat at my desk at work). And on the weekends I don't eat till after church.

Maybe work on BLAND Breakfast to go meals. Chicken and rice with a bit of cheese, PB&J, Egg salad sandwich. Those you can make to go and eat at a break.

Good Luck :)
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Is there any possibility that you could be pregnant?
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    A huge myth is that you have to eat breakfast. Meal frequency plays no real part in weightloss unless you eat more than your allotted calories to compensate.

If you're starving by 11:15 then maybe try bringing a small snack like a piece of fruit or some nuts something you can eat quickly between classes.