do i need to exercise??

Options
Just starting trying to get rid of the weight. My question is do I need to exercise now???? My thought is, if I can lose weight by reducing my calorie intake then it should work, right? Once I reach a point where I am no longer dropping the weight then I would start exercising. Is this a bad idea?? Everyone is telling me I need to exercise now.

Replies

• zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Of course you can lose weight without exercising. But you may not look very good with your clothes off.
  • cannonfury2006
    cannonfury2006 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I believe exercise is very important to health whether it is to lose weight or not. I try and walk everyday, as a lifestyle choice, I don't see it as a chore.
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    I don't exercise unless I go over my calorie limit
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to. You will lose weight more quickly if you do though.
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    if your only goal is to lose weight... it isnt NECESSARY, but it is highly recommended. Perhaps a better question is "Why not exercise...?" There are SO many benefits if you are physically able to.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To lose weight? No

For optimal health? Yes
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Exercising helps to tone your body. You can lose weight by just eating right however there will not be that toned look. You will have loose skin (some can be from major weight loss and some can be from not having a toned physique). Do what you can now. I think once you see the weight drop you might get motivated to exercise more. ALSO, if you exercise you can eat those calories.. That's usually my motivation..I like to eat.
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    To lose weight? No

For optimal health? Yes

Bingo
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    why DON'T you want to exercise? Is there some reason besides you don't want to?

Like was stated, you don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight, but you are also going to lose a LOT of lean body mass. The exercise will actually help you lose weight easier by maintaining your LBM so you burn more calories even when you are sitting around. Plus, it builds good habits and will make you feel better. The benefits of exercise are pretty much endless.

The human body was never meant to be a lazy as it is in today's world. Your body will literally function better the more active you are.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    A healthy diet is more important when it comes to losing weight, but exercise is essential for cardiovascular health, gaining muscle, etc...And it just makes you feel better. And for maintaining a healthy weight, exercise will probably be essential for you...so incorporate it into your life sooner rather than later.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Exercise, even just going for daily walks isn't just beneficial for your outward appearance but it's good for your cardiovascular system. It releases endorphins; aids as an anti-anxiety and anti depressant....

You can do whatever you want, but the benefits of physical activity extend beyond appearance
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Just starting trying to get rid of the weight. My question is do I need to exercise now???? My thought is, if I can lose weight by reducing my calorie intake then it should work, right? Once I reach a point where I am no longer dropping the weight then I would start exercising. Is this a bad idea?? Everyone is telling me I need to exercise now.

If you lose weight thru calorie deficit alone ... there is a good chance you are losing fat AND muscle. Exercising while losing weight helps you keep existing muscle mass (provided the calorie deficit is not too large). MFP calculates your calorie deficit without exercise .... meaning when you exercise & you get to eat more. Eating exercise calories back helps prevent muscle loss.

You want good healthy habits ... for life. Start adding exercise now ... and you will find that you actually come to enjoy it .... as time goes on.
  • cdroberts07
    cdroberts07 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone.

I was working out and I enjoyed it. Yes, sometimes finding time is difficult but I do. I'm new to this, so reading posts about how people stop losing weight after a certain point is what has me concerned. I thought that if I exercise when I start slowing down then it would help give me a boost?
  • ceajules
    Options
    I lost to a point then I needed to ...

Here is my story
    Since January between P90x and Turbofire I have lost 19 inches!!!
    Would would like to do the same?

This is my story

Hello my name is Angel and I am 39 year old former couch potato
    I have struggled with my weight and have tried every fad diet there was and hated working out, I wanted that quick fix. A year ago heavier and out of shape I decided to try P90X however I never changed my diet and 66 days into I gave up I didnt see the results I wanted after that I continued to put on more weight after seeing some pictures of myself I said enough is enough and like everyone else on the planet in January I decided to lose weight and exercise after losing 20lbs through healthy eating I did some walking and other DVDS at home but it just wasn't cutting it. I would see the commercials and I thought I need to try that P90X again and finish it this time! After week one I thought what was I thinking I could barely do the push ups on my knees I hurt everywhere and never thought I would get better or even finish I would see myself in the mirror working out many times I cried. I kept pushing play!!! I got stronger I was bringing it! Push ups well I can bust out 100 right now if you would like :) If I can do this anyone can! I then passed the fit test for Insanity and have been doing that and I hate it and love it all at the same time. I love having muscles I love being strong I love being healthy. I graduated from P90X in August 2012 and I am so proud! and I want to help others so I became coach and began my 2nd workout Turbofire, I was scared at first because I have no coordination but I fell in love with the program and the music and I will see this through to the end 20 weeks :) I finish it before my 40th Birthday in December and I cant wait to start another program, my goal is to do all of them
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    To lose weight? No

For optimal health? Yes

Give that man an award! :drinker:
  • cdroberts07
    cdroberts07 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    makes sense thanks!
  • Camian1759
    Options
    Of course you can lose weight without exercising. But you may not look very good with your clothes off.

lmao wow.^

Excercising will not only make you feel better but boost the weight loss! It actually will make you feel AMAZING.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    To me, getting out and doing any kind of an exercise helps a lot NOT to overeat. To me, that's a huge factor beside other obvious benefits.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Exercise is necessary for good health. Ask yourself what your goal is. Good health? Then yes start exercising. You just want to drop some weight and don't care about your health and that you'll have loose skin. Don't exercise, it's not necessary for weight loss. Staying in a calorie deficit is what makes us lose weight. Review your goals and decide.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    This question makes me sad. : (