Quinoa Flavor

I have noticed everyone raving about the health benefits of Quinoa so my question is what does it taste like?

I am a very picky eater so I would like to know what I could compare the taste to so I could get an idea of how to prepare and season it to my pallette.

Replies

• preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    I bought some and it was terrible. Then I read on here later that it needs to rinsed before cooking. Similar texture to rice. I guess I'll try again one of these days..... if you search for it, there are alot of previous posts.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    it takes on whatever flavoring you season/mix with it. I've even had it with some cinnamon sugar on it. Just rinse it first.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    I just started eating it. It reminds me of crunchy couscous. Maybe a little like brown rice?

To be honest, it doesn't taste like much. We cooked it in veggie stock, and then added in tomatoes, mushrooms, and veggie bacon. Pretty tasty breakfast.
  • cr8zyamy
    cr8zyamy Posts: 46 Member
    How about some basic cooking instructions? I bought a package that had no cooking instructions.
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    It's pretty bland unless you add something to it. Some people cook it in chicken broth.
  • How about some basic cooking instructions? I bought a package that had no cooking instructions.

rinse well, cover with a fair amount of water, bring to the boil and simmer for about 10-15 mins.

We had some this evening with butternut squash and leeks plus lots of garlic! Scattered some toasted cashew nuts over the top and a relatively quick, tasty and nutritious meal.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Boil 1.25 cups water. Add 1 cup Quonia, boil 10-12 minutes until the little kernals seems to explode. Texture is like rice.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    I wanted to try quinoa myself, but didnt know how to cook it nor did i want to "invest" in an entire bag not knowing if I would like it or not. I found a great product from NearEast that is a blend of quinoa and brown rice and already seasoned(like a rice a roni) and found it delish! The texture is similiar to rice or small grain couscous. Now I eat/make quinoa regularly and usually make it with fat free/low sodium chicken stock to give it a base flavor- then add some veggies and protein to make a fortified and filling lunch!

here's the link to the Near East site for you to browse : http://www.neareast.com/#products/quinoa_blends

Enjoy!
  • luckylissette
    luckylissette Posts: 24 Member
    It all depends on what you cook it with. It soaks up a lot of flavor, so go easy on spices. I've made it like an oatmeal for breakfast with a little vanilla extract, cinnamon and chopped apples, and it came out better than my oatmeal. I've also used it as a rice alternative making it with onions, some garlic, and vegetable broth. Go really easy on the salt or skip it all together if you normally put salt in your foods.

Definitely rinse first, which can be a challenge in and of itself since they're so tiny before they're actually cooked.

*side note, if anyone has any rinsing suggestions, I would love to hear them.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Rinse it first--you can skip this if you bought pre-rinsed (It'll tell you on the package). It's pretty horrible if you don't rinse off the saponin. Put it in a pan with some water--one cup quinoa to 2.5 cups water or so. Sometimes I use chicken broth, which adds a richer flavor. Simmer it with the lid off for about 20 minutes. Don't stir or anything. When the liquid is gone, turn off the heat and let it sit for a minute or two and then fluff it with a fork. You can eat it like that as a rice side-dish sustitute or you can add fresh vegetables, nuts, dried fruit, cheese, fresh herbs, any kind of crap you want. I find that it's a lot easier to cook than other grains because it's faster and it doesn't boil over as badly. It's also healthier than other grains. I love it! My five-year-old has convinced herself that she hates it for some reason, but she loves couscous. Any time I make quinoa, I tell her it's couscous and she eats every bite. They are interchangable because they look and taste the same, at least to a preschooler. :)
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    It really has no flavor. You have to GIVE it flavor. Why not make some up and mix it with a Pico De Gallo mix and see if you like it's texture.
  • it is similar to rice and other breakfast cereals, plus you can flavor it with pretty much anything. I have even made chocolate quinoa cupcakes & they are sooo good :)

I started eating it with frozen tropical fruit, and chia seeds. Maybe a lil honey, cinnamon and ginger.... hmmm yeah that got me hooked and its great before or on a morning hike
  • Thank you everyone, I think I will try it this weekend with the Pico De Gallo like someone suggested, at least it will be flavorful.