Are you freaking kidding me?

Options
Okay so I'm not one who puts much stock into BMI's. I think they are crap and now I know they are. I hardly ever check it but I am almost to my goal wt and thought it would me neat to see me in a "healthy" zone. Well guess what? I am still over. I cant believe it!!!!

86.6 lbs lost and still considered over wt by the wacos who invented this! Sorry just irritated! Wasnt this crap invented by some health insurance company?

Replies

• Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Probably!! So they could squeeze extra dollars out of us!! :grumble:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Even doctors acknowledge that the BMI scale isn't perfect. It's skewed if you're very tall, very short, very muscular, very broad... the real number you should be thinking about is how, on a scale of one to ten, you feel. Just eight pounds ago I felt like a two basically every day. Now, I'm averaging five, which makes me feel pretty darn good. :smile: As long as you're healthy, be happy.
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I know. It's ridiculous. Conrats on your AWESOME weight loss!!!!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Well whaddya know, it wasn't invented by an insurance company. Instead it was invented by an 18th-century racist. THAT makes me feel better =/ http://www.famousbelgians.net/quetelet.htm I think we need a new formula, this one ain't working.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Congrats on losing 86lbs thats awsome. I have lost over 100 and am still in the overweight range:grumble: . My doc told me to ignore that number all together. I had my fat persent checked about a month ago and it is actually in the healthy range.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I'll take the BMI scale over the old Height / Weight scale or calipers anyday. Many years ago I was military and just prior to the use of calipers for body fat they went by the Height and weight chart... they wanted me 5' 7" at 125 # - I felt horrible. Of course when they pulled the calipers - even though I only weighed 138 pounds (which by the BMI chart is good for 5' 5" which is where I am now) - their newer chart for calipers said I was 3# over-weight and I was given an honerable discharge due to the fact I couldn't lose that 3#. I don't think there is a good chart.
  • RachelAllen1111
    Options
    How did you lose all that weight?!?!?! HELP I need to lose that too! :)
  • schultm
    Options
    The only way to do it is one day at a time. Do not think of the 100 pounds to lose, just think "today I will do all the right things for me" - you are worth it!!
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The BMI chart goes by such small margins. I've noticed that if I am 145, I am overweight...at 143, I'm "normal weight". Honestly though, I didn't used to put much stock in them and had never been even close to normal according to the BMI charts, but I still thought I was healthy. When I decided to lose weight, my initial goal was 174. Later, I revised my goal down to just at the top of the healthy BMI range, and once I got there, I still do feel a bit overweight. I've sat on this weight for nine months and have decided to lose more.
  • ehjwdj
    ehjwdj Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually learned in my medical school that ALL the charts and calculations eg. BMI, blood pressure etc. are based on a 6 foot tall, 21 year old, caucasian man. Not really fair huh? They really need to make it more age, height and gender appropriate!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    What a great accomplishment!! Don't let something like this get you down. It only matters how you feel and how you look! Which is awesome! I love the pics with the kids in jeans!!!

Rachel, you and your baby are beautiful! Just wanted to add that in!
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Oh I agree with you! It's like they don't take into consideration that we all have different body shapes!! :grumble: Congratulations on losing so much so far!!!:drinker: