Protein shake that taste good but not too pricy???

Options
So I recently started back at the gym and I find that I don't have the time to have lunch and I end up feeling light headed and tired in the afternoon. I also end up catching up on my calories at dinner time which is probably why I'm having a hard time at losing the weight. Anyways I think it would be a good Idea to have a shake as soon as I'm done my workout around 11am then it's pool time with my daughter and back home before my son gets back from school. So which shake would you recommand?

Replies

• RKAY89
    Options
    Chocolate Powerbeck Whey Protein.. I have tasted at least 7 different brands and types of shake.. this one, is like a treat, like a milkshake, no lumps AT ALL, decent price.. lovely!
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem with the price of protein shakes. You're right they can be pricey especially if you go to the gym a lot. Because I don't usually eat food for breakfast, I went online and found some easy recipes for breakfast and pre/post workouts. I usually add a scoop or two of protein powder and it sustains me (in my case until lunch). I find that it's better to buy the ingredients and I am currently using Jillian Michaels' protein powder. Now, I can make a shake when I want to and the total cost is way lower that buying one at the gym. Here is one that I drink often and it's high in potassium which my Dr mentioned that mine is a little low. I hope you like it! :happy:

ORANGE BANANA SMOOTHIE

Toss 2 bananas, 2 cups of OJ, and 1 cup plain yogurt
    Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon honey
    Toss a couple handfuls of ice into blender
    Set blender at highest setting to crush the ice
    Blend for about 20 seconds
    Pour and enjoy!

This smoothie recipe actually makes 2-3 smoothies. Place blender carafe containing extra smoothie in the fridge for all-day smoothie enjoyment.
  • avrobin03
    avrobin03 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Powerbeck Whey Protein.. I have tasted at least 7 different brands and types of shake.. this one, is like a treat, like a milkshake, no lumps AT ALL, decent price.. lovely!

AGREE! Chocolate is my favorite flavor!!
  • RKAY89
    Options
    P.S. PLEASE do not work out without eating something lol...

I'll run on an empty stomach first thing in the morning as that's when the body burns most fat... but when I'm doing weights I'll ensure to have a good helping of clean carbs and protein, then I'll work out, then I'll pump a shake and some fruit and nuts straight down me... ensure to load yourself before and after a workout with carbs and protein - before so that your body is ready for the torture you're about to unleash on it.. and after, because it will help it recover and also, after a workout, carbs go straight into the muslce and help build it, instead of going into glycogen stores like it would do on a non-training day
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Dymatize cookies and cream is my favorite thus far. It's actually cheaper the bigger size container that you buy. For really, really cheap, Body Fortress (Walmart) tastes good enough, just not the nutrition profile that you'll get from Dymatize, Optimum Nutrition, Syntha 6, etc.
  • I buy the premier nutrition ones from Costco. They come pre-mixed in juice boxes so they are super convenient. They don't taste amazing, but they are ok as long as they are ice cold.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    customers say that syntha-6 taste good.
    we well ALOT of optimum nutrition 100% whey.

i buy pure protein RTD's that are 35 gram of protein each.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I just paid $36.95 per 4lb tub of Designer Whey Protein powder. I purchased one french-vanilla, and one in chocolate. I use unsweetened Almond milk and the chocolate makes it taste like freakin' CHOCOLATE MILK... OMG its so good!

Ill also take the french-vanilla and blend it with frozen berries for a frozen treat! Soooo good!
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I bought the Iso Femme chocolate temptations at walmart for 15$ 434g. I didn`t want to invest more considering I might hate it. I just tried it with water and it tasted like powdered milk. Tomorow I will try it with milk instead to see if it will be better.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Best bet is to shop around a lot. Protein powders had a huge price jump in the spring. Myofusion which is what I use jumped over$10 for a 5# jug. Checks out tons of review sites too. Some are cheap but taste awful. You can fix the taste of them by using milk or peanut butter. Also, adding ice to make it thicker seems to help
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I buy optimum nutrition... it might be a little pricey? Like $30 for 2lbs... I might try that one that the first poster mentioned...
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    I just paid $36.95 per 4lb tub of Designer Whey Protein powder. I purchased one french-vanilla, and one in chocolate. I use unsweetened Almond milk and the chocolate makes it taste like freakin' CHOCOLATE MILK... OMG its so good!

Ill also take the french-vanilla and blend it with frozen berries for a frozen treat! Soooo good!
    you got lucky on this one. For most people, Designer Whey causes nasty gas that clears out rooms.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    I buy optimum nutrition... it might be a little pricey? Like $30 for 2lbs... I might try that one that the first poster mentioned...
    Optimum is one of the better brands and usually tastes pretty good
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    P.S. PLEASE do not work out without eating something lol...

I'll run on an empty stomach first thing in the morning as that's when the body burns most fat... but when I'm doing weights I'll ensure to have a good helping of clean carbs and protein, then I'll work out, then I'll pump a shake and some fruit and nuts straight down me... ensure to load yourself before and after a workout with carbs and protein - before so that your body is ready for the torture you're about to unleash on it.. and after, because it will help it recover and also, after a workout, carbs go straight into the muslce and help build it, instead of going into glycogen stores like it would do on a non-training day
    total bro science here. Zero science to back any of these statements
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Finally found something that really works and tastes great. My favorite post workout is my Peanut Butter Banana Body by Vi Shake. The best part I have been getting my shakes for free since November of last year. That is a price you cannot beat :)
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I buy the premier nutrition ones from Costco. They come pre-mixed in juice boxes so they are super convenient. They don't taste amazing, but they are ok as long as they are ice cold.

I get the mucscle milk light ones like this - also from Costco. They are 1000 times better than the premier nutrition ones (I've tried both).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i freaking love chocolate protein powder its like a milk shake!

I use GNC Amplified brand but that is kind of pricey.

100% gold standard whey is cheaper and just as good...

then why the hell am I using the more expensive brand??? lol I have no idea..I just like it...
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Im drinking strawberry maxitone definity... Tastes ok with skim milk
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    First go to Dpsnutrition.net the prices rock as does the turn around time, low shipping costs and they tend to give you free stuff. Second look at Optimum Nutrition and VPX's lines of protein, they both mix easy and taste great. Mystery solved Scooby Doo
  • kaileen76
    kaileen76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hate protein shakes! But that being said I use frozen berries, skim milk, and the market pantry protein powder with my ninja blender and it's not too bad. I can drink the vanilla with no berries just fine but it is better if I blend it because it does get lumpy. But it's 19.99 for 26 servings and the protein content is 25 grams.