bad work habit

Options
ughhhh having the munchies at work is the worst!!! HELP

Replies

• schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Do you pack your food to bring with you? I pack a day's worth of healthy snacks. I workout on my lunch break and then just snack all day. Helps curb the cravings.
  • angienbrian
    Options
    i do bring my food and fruit and nuts to snack on but sometimes my control on all the other bad stuff in the office gets to me!!
  • acelynp2
    acelynp2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find chewing gum with a strong flavor helps or drinking mint tea because sometimes all I want is a different taste in my mouth and mint doesn't mix with less helathy snacks very well. Some days though it's really hard not to give in. Often though looking at the calories of junk against my allotment can be a real turnoff from the junk. Good luck!
  • angienbrian
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!
  • angienbrian
    Options
    here's another question. Crystal Light drop inns for water. Does anyone have an opinion on these? I use them at work and wonder if whatever is in them might be making me hungry also? I know they say " no added sugar" but with all the other added ingredients in them god knows what I'm actually taking in.....
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    When the vending machines start calling my name about mid afternoon, I hit the coffee machine instead. Normally I'm not really hungry. And I do put cream and sugar in the coffee, but the teaspoon or two of sugar is way better than the amount of calories of any of the junk I'd get otherwise.
  • angienbrian
    Options
    I'm so glad we do not have a vedning machine here but sometimes it's everything else your co-workers bring in! That is the hardest part. I am good at home, on the weekends. But them I come into work and have to fight the urge to eat what they bring in.
  • marybell82
    marybell82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ughhhh having the munchies at work is the worst!!! HELP

eating cause your bored... i know how that goes! i sit at my desk for 8 hours trying to fight the urges...
    Peppermint tea to subside the munchies
    coffee works too..
    Take fruit to work, i have frozen grapes and apples to snack on.

When my boss is gone for the day.. i do take an afternoon toke, i swear once that happens i get into clean mode. i start cleaning the office which in turn distracts me from my cravings...

Another thing i do is drink tons of water... i have drank a gallon at work and its gets me out of my seat to use the restroom, and when i gotta pee... im not thinking of food. lol
  • marybell82
    marybell82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I find chewing gum with a strong flavor helps or drinking mint tea because sometimes all I want is a different taste in my mouth and mint doesn't mix with less helathy snacks very well. Some days though it's really hard not to give in. Often though looking at the calories of junk against my allotment can be a real turnoff from the junk. Good luck!

chewing gum makes u suck in a lot of air... which will give you gas and make u feel bloated, and by the time the flavor wears off you want something else to munch on. =( ive tried it.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Is your co-workers food in plain sight? Ask for it to be at least covered. Ot don't go into the room where it is. I give myself one day a week where I can have one of something. Then I eat it slowly savoring and thinking about each bite. It's so much more satisfying, than gulping it guiltily. (we know we do that) . And I get to look forward to my treat. The anticipation is like waiting for Christmas morning when you were a kid.. If we have something every day, it's not a treat. If we wait for it and plan for it, It is.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Breath mints
    Or brush teeth.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Is your co-workers food in plain sight? Ask for it to be at least covered. Ot don't go into the room where it is. I give myself one day a week where I can have one of something. Then I eat it slowly and thinking about each bite. It's so much more satisfying, than gulping it guiltily. (we know we do that) . And I get to look forward to my treat. The anticipation is like waiting for Christmas morning when you were a kid.. If we have something every day, it's not a treat. If we wait for it and plan for it, It is.

Asking people to cover their food is going a bit far isn't it? I work in an an open room where there are 5-6 of us sitting at desks, staring at computers/video monitors for 12+ hours a day. People are constantly calling patrols in to get them food from places like McDonalds, taco bell, kfc, etc. Sure, it sounds good, but I had healthy food that I knew would be better.

Just do as others have said, keep eating healthy snacks, or try and keep yourself busy. Other things to try: drink plenty of water (I bring a gallon to work and drin from that all day), and if you need to set a timer, or pay attention to the clock and have a snack at certain times. we're all adults though, we can't expect people to hide their food because we can't help ourselves.
  • acelynp2
    acelynp2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

chewing gum makes u suck in a lot of air... which will give you gas and make u feel bloated, and by the time the flavor wears off you want something else to munch on. =( ive tried it.

I don't find the bloat/gas issue too much, some bloat, I guess, but I usually only chew gum once a day. I know part of my issue is wanting to be munching on something and the gum is a crutch to get me past that. Often by the time the flavor wears off, I have either been adequately distracted or it is time for my next snack. Mint or green tea or breath mints also work, without the air issue.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    buy some fancy green teas with different flavorings (ginger, blueberry, etc) and have one in the afternoon. Maybe pair it with 1/2 or 1 small protein bar or a Larabar? this way you get the cake/cookie/choc fix while others are munching donuts, etc. Pure Protein bars are pretty small and come in chocolate and cookie dough flavors, and you can get them at walmart.

not saying these are for everyday, but just sometimes when others are having the afternoon munchie run and you just can't resist....trying to pick the lesser of two evils haha
  • agriffiths73
    agriffiths73 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a tin of sugar free mints on my desk - when I get the urge to eat something, then I have one of them, knowing if I ate anything else after that, it would taste gross...and no sugar!
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    buy some fancy green teas with different flavorings (ginger, blueberry, etc) and have one in the afternoon.

This.
    I have one of those reusable straw cups that I take with me pretty much everywhere, I'll be a package of green tea bags and a package of the berry flavored herbal teas, then I'll put in a bag of each (or 1 and 2-whatever you like), it's cheap favored green tea, 0 calories and a bit of caffeine for a kick in the afternoon/middle of shift. I even steep it in cold/room temp. water. It takes a little longer, but it stil works.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lzmopb1jqK1qd1wkro1_1280.png

where i work :/
    surrounded by food.
    am alone for 9 hours...
    and there are so many cookies LOL
  • angienbrian
    Options
    Oh my gosh!!! Yes that would be very hard to work around....LOL Stay strong sista :bigsmile:
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    <--- Hang in there!!
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Coastguard came in with choco tacos today. Luckily I my insides felt like they wanted to be on my outsides and the boys ate them all.

It happens, just do your best to limit yourself.