How often do you weigh/measure yourself?

Options

Replies

• ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Once a week is best! Max is 2x a week!
  • i weigh myself every morning but i never measure myself.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I weigh most afternoons when I wake up. I measure when I feel I maybe have achieved something. I have only done the initial measure so far. I think it depends how fast you are losing weight. I am short so I will probably measure every 3-5 lbs that I lose.
  • Christieson
    Christieson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Weight - every day (but don't get too obsessed)
    Blood glucose - daily (newly diagnosed diabetic - pricking my finger is still a novelty)
    Blood pressure - about once a week

I've not done the measuring thing. I think I should start.
  • HealthIsMyHobby
    HealthIsMyHobby Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day first thing in the morning. I also measure neck and abdomen to estimate % body fat on Monday mornings. On monday mornings I also take my blood pressure and resting heart rate.

My approach is to think of it as taking up health as a hobby. I've had kitchen magnets made up, for my counseling clients, that say: Healthy is the new skinny- Eat well, Sleep well, Exercise, Meditate/Pray, Have a hobby, Make friends.

I encourage clients (and others) to think of weight as just one of a range of numbers to keep track of their health. There's % body fat, blood pressure, resting heart rate, total cholesterol, HDL/LDL ratio, and blood sugar to name a few. There's also how many pushups and situps you can do in 60 seconds, how fast you can run 1.5 miles, and low back flexability measures by how far you can reach while sitting with your legs flat on the floor.

When you put weight together with all these numbers it becomes just one small portion of a healthy physical selfconcept.

I say "All things being equal, the healthy persson feels better, and usually pretty nice to look at as well."

Good luck with your MFP program.
  • tgrady20
    tgrady20 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Weekly
  • Elediaz23
    Options
    I weight myself every Monday and measure once a month. :)
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and keep a spreadsheet with a trendline.
    I also take photographs once a week and measure every two weeks.
  • BrittanyKxo
    Options
    I weigh every morning!
  • nis75p06
    Options
    I weigh every morning first thing. But haven't measured anything. I need to lose a bunch more weight before worrying about measurements are important. I think weighing every morning keeps me honest and focused on my goal.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I measure once a week (bust, waist, hips) and I weigh once or twice a month.
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I weigh every other Monday morning when I wake up, and I measure the 1st of every month.
  • raven3lise
    raven3lise Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm super obsessed, I try not to check every day. I do an official every Wednesday/Thursday morning.
    I should get a measuring tape, huh...
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. My scale isn't probably the best one, so it doesn't always get minor changes... but I kind of like that haha. I don't see big changes from day to day, so when it actually changes I believe it.

By weighing myself everyday I can always remind myself of why I am doing this.
  • georgie181
    Options
    Can't remember the last time I weighed, I just know it was 153lbs. I measure weekly, but don't even do that alot of the time. I look at my body and judge my progress that way. I want to get some calipers because I am solely concentrating on nutrition and gaining muscle. It is most certainly a health journey, rather then a weight loss one, thats just an added bonus. I think owning scales at my stage and size is unhealthy I think because I don't have alot more to lose the differences will be minimal, the tape measure is my friend and food, plenty of it!!!! I want to have muscles and a teeny tiny waist, but I want to be healthy, fit and strong more.

my daughter said to the above one day interrupting my explanation of why I went to the gym etc. 'so mummy if things were the other way around and you had to be fat like you were to be fit and healthy and live longer, would you have stayed that way if being skinny meant being unhealthy?' Well without hesitation I said of course, having more years on this earth to be with you is more important to me then looks, its more important then anything in this world.........................
  • marissafree2
    marissafree2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, coming from the formerly (and sometimes currently) scale obsessed, I know how important it can be to see the body fat percentage change. Sometimes I can just tell with the way my clothes fit, even though I haven't lost or gained a lb., ya know?
  • marissafree2
    Options
    It really sounds like you have conquered your ED. I suppose knowledge truly IS power! :flowerforyou: I think it's all about staying accountable for me, and that includes not over-weighing, but weighing frequently. Also, a huge step for me--I made my food diary public, which is as close to letting my demons out in light as I'll ever get I suppose!
  • marissafree2
    Options
    First of all, congrats on overcoming your ED and being wary of going back to your 'ways'. That's the best way to never go back there again!

I weigh myself daily but I do know that a lot of things affect daily fluctuations so I don't get too upset if I gain a few pounds. However....I'm trying really hard to accept a SEVEN lb gain from too much sodium and water the last few days. lol I've never had it go that high in one single day.
    I am also recovered from an ED but weighing myself daily isn't one thing I'll give up. Just today I read on fitbie that people who weigh daily, weigh less than those who don't. I think that's because when we KNOW we will weigh more, we don't, then things get out of hand.
    I measure myself once a week and log it in a journal along with my weight for that day. It is an improvement over weighing myself 10 times a day so I'll take it. :)

That last response was meant for you! I'm just a newbie trying to figure all this out! :wink:
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday in the morning before my morning run. Its a good way to keep myself motivated.. I havent measured myself though.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I haven't measured myself in ages, and I don't want to start. The last time I TRIED, I had to go out and buy a double-length measuring tape. Yup. My hips were over 60 inches at that point. I think that was when I weighed 290.