Food scale obssession

Options
Hey everyone--
I was just wondering if anyone else struggled with becoming obsessed with measuring every last morsel. I got a food scale at first just for meats, but preety soon I was measuring everything with the food scale. I work with a nutritionist and she thinks it is obsessive so she wants me to stop using it and instead work with measuring cups and spoons. Does anyone else use just measuring cups/spoons and not food scales? How does this work for you? If anyone has broken free from food scales and has pointers let me know. So far I didn't use it at b-fast or lunch but my mind is going crazy.

A little bout me too just so you know. I am trying to gain weight and am recovering from a 14 year battle with an eating disorder (binge eating for 7 and anorexia/compulsive exercise for 7). I no longer calorie count but am on a diabetic exchange based plan so its based off portions of food groups.

I appreciate any and all support :)

Replies

• jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Anyone???
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    In my experience, you can't correctly measure your food if you aren't using the appropriate method. It's just not accurate.

That being said, if using the food scale is causing obsessive behavior, then the inaccuracy of a measuring cup might be the lesser of the two evils. And since you are trying to gain weight instead of trying to lose it, I don't think that inaccuracy would derail your progress like it might if you were trying to lose.

Perhaps a good exercise for you might be learning to accurately estimate portion sizes. That way you do not have to rely on a measuring system and can distance yourself from either of these things as a crutch.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You might also consider using a portion plate. It is like a divided plate that helps you limit or fulfill the dietary requirements of specific food groups. Perhaps you could find one that fits your diet's needs.

Here's an example: http://www.preciseportions.com
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I get a certain satisfaction from weighing out my portions. Obssession? Not really but I do weigh almost everything.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's more of a psychological challenge than anything. Breaking the habits that make you unhappy are every bit as important as gaining weight.

Any opportunity you have to obsess that is not addressed only keeps your anxiety going. You've got to learn to break the cycle of thought that you are allowing.

It's your choice. Ask for some tools to stop that cycle of obsessive thinking. It can be done. You have to question yourself every time it starts, until you learn a new way of controlling your thoughts.
  • erinmick2
    erinmick2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can see how this could become an obsessive thing :) I'm just trying to go based on the serving measurements. If a serving of oatmeal is 1 cup, then I'll use a cup. If chicken is 3 oz, then I'll weigh it. Nice and simple
  • tenaheff
    Options
    Because I am trying to lose weight, I use the scale because it is more accurate. However, since you are trying to gain weight, I see no harm in using measuring cups if your nutritionist feels it is best for you.