Need some mommy buddies

Options
Hello MFP community! I am a mom that seems to be "always on a diet". I've finally figured out how to change my life for good....forever! But now....I'm noticing my 2 sons have picked up on both my unhealthy eating habits as well as my constant desire to lose weight. I'm working towards making fitness and healthy eating a permanent, positive way of life in our household. I'm curious, have other moms noticed their dieting ways having rubbed off on the kids. What are you doing to adjust it? I'd like some MFP friends that are moms to inspire me so I can get my kids to the healthy place I am now!

Replies

• tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. My hubby and I are trying to start living a healthier life. We are watching what we eat and what is in the food we were and the better choices we are now making. The big thing that is scaring me is that my older 2 boys(6 & 8) are now discussing about what to eat that has no calories or low calories, but they so don't need to lose! They need to gain!! Any ideas would be very appreciated!

I would love to find some friends, too.
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My boys (8 and 10) don't need to lose weight either. They do need to learn that food is fuel; it isn't a social event or reward (which it was in the past thanks to me). I'll add you as a friend. thanks for the reply!
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me...im a mom of 2 boys. 2yr and 4yr. and they eat junk...i try n change it now but it is becoming hard.
  • JamieCRodriguez
    Options
    great! thank you.:happy:
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Mama here. I have a 6 year old I've raised mostly on my own. He's got some bad snacking habits which I'm not helping BUT he does love salmon and broccoli and he's very active.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm open to new friends, especially mamas with little boys :happy:
  • happypath101
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm a single Mom of a 15 year old. Sometimes I feel guilty because I only bake cookies once a year (for Santa) and I have never baked him a home-made mac and cheese casserole. On the other hand, I have a very healthy strapping young man who has some pretty darn good eating habits (when I can get him to put down the Goldfish crackers). :O)
  • skanabar
    skanabar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Please add me too. I have a 2 yr old son, who eats ok but not enough since he hardly puts on weight. I am always caught in the dilemma how to buy groceries. He needs everything normal not light or fat free but buying everything separate also won't work. im not sure how to handle this
  • JamieCRodriguez
    Options
    funny that we are mostly all moms with boys! I'm loving all the mom support : )
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a friend request. I had the same ahha moment with my son. He will be four next week, and up until a short time ago, he pretty much ate all junk. Pizza, nuggets, hotdogs, etc. I think all of that is ok in moderation, but seriously what was I thinking. :noway: The funny thing is, he's so much more excited about dinner now that I've been cooking "real" food. Teaching him good eating habits is now a big motivator for me.
  • Fitorbust73
    Fitorbust73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Mom os 3 and for sure see the impact of my negative eating habbits on my kids... Trying to help educate and encourage good food habbits... Because we keep kosher we have it a bit easier because fast food is not available where we live... But candy and chips etc... Well lots of that around...many parents at our school think it is ok that the kids eat sugary crap at school..

Feel free to add me always looking for good ideas
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ;-) I'm not perfect, for sure, but, can definitely support ya!

Mamma of 4, ages 13, 8, 4 and 21 months. We do what we can!

I think it's great how your focus isn't just for yourself, but, that it's a family affair!! Feel free to add me, best wishes to you and your family on this journey! :)
  • JamieCRodriguez
    Options
    I'm loving all this mom power! It's really interesting how our habits rub off without us even knowing it! I honestly thought I was hiding my food dysfunction from my kids. Not so, they picked up on all of it! One of my biggest obstacles to my weight loss journey was that my boys were constantly asking for the junk foods they were used to. I'd feel guilty for punishing them because I was dieting so I'd give in to them and end up eating it too! Now I can see how my lifestyle change needs to be their s too because I want them to be healthy and strong as well. It feels good to be healthy and while I regret having taught my kids unhealthy habits, I'm very motivated and excited to remedy that NOW! Thanks new friends for your support! I hope we all inspire and motivate each other getting or keeping ourselves and our kids fit and healthy!!!!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago, it broke my heart when I would see my daughters worrying about their weight and calories. Since then, I have shifted my focus and am now more concerned with macronutrients than calories, choosing nutrient-rich foods, and that has rubbed off on them as well. Hubby is on board with healthy eating and exercise, so it's a family affair (six kids in our family). There are no certain foods for the adults and foods for the kids...we all eat the same meals and snacks. Healthy, whole foods most of the time, occasional treats. NO "diet" foods. Hubby runs, I practice martial arts, and the kids follow suit. When I do pushups and planks, they are right beside me trying to follow along.
    And when my children look for an afternoon snack and one of them asks me "which has more protein?"...I am perfectly fine with that.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    anyone willing feel free to add me
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My daughter is to little for me to see her picking up on my bad habits, but when she isn't trying to stop me form working out she some times joins in it really funny and cute seeing how she is only 2.
    But if your kids picked up on the bad things then they will pick up on your good habits your starting and if you go on hikes and bike rides with them that should help them slim down it that was a problem. It would also make them feel better about them self's like it is for you.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Mommy of a 16,12,and 4 year old. Making those changes are really difficult. My 16 year old is easy as he is at the age that sports and fitness are important to him. My chalanges for him is understanding real food is better than the quick fix protein shakes a nd such. My 12 year old (step son) hates that we have veggies with every meal. My 4 year old is ok but I have to rememe if she does not eat what I have fixed its ok. She wont starve! a pop tart is not a viable solution. lol! My children will be predisposed to obesity as my husband and our families are obese. I have had WLS and so the changes were inevitable for me. but it is difficult to translate it to the rest of the family. She will be fine and is young enough to still make the changes.
  • sisterofseven
    sisterofseven Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have boys too. I've always tried to make good choices for them - it's a case of eat as I say, not as I do :-) but it's becoming much more difficult as they become older. They are good eaters (in that anything goes veggies, fruit etc) but my eldest, in particular, wants to eat junk all the time - on top of the healthy food he is given. He will often eat more than me (he's 10) and I am becoming a little obsessed by the whole thing. I know he's a growing boy and is fairly active but i'm pertified of him becoming over weight. Its such a hard slog getting the excess weight off!
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't buy things I shouldn't eat and so both my daughter and I don't eat poorly. Out of sight, out of mind. Snacks are veggies and fruit. I always have a fruit bowl on the dining room table that is easy access and my daughter has no problems getting carrots, cucumbers, almond/cranberry snack sacks (made at home) or individually packed cheeses.

My 3 year old has tried Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30, 6 week abs and yoga with me. We bike, walk, run at the park.

Be a kid in play and you will lose the weight. Show your kid that exercise is important and fun and they will want to do it. Keep bad foods out of your house and your kids and you won't have any other choice, but to eat right.

A lot of us on MFP are going through a lifestyle change to be healthy and fit. It requires us to make a concious change in habits on a daily basis. However, most kids below the age of 12 don't need a lifestyle change. They are constantly learning and changing and to change their diet or exercise habits... well, really is not that hard if healthy is the only option you give to them and yourself.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi

If you want your kids to change, then you must be the change in your world.
  • JamieCRodriguez
    Options
    A couple years ago, it broke my heart when I would see my daughters worrying about their weight and calories. Since then, I have shifted my focus and am now more concerned with macronutrients than calories, choosing nutrient-rich foods, and that has rubbed off on them as well. Hubby is on board with healthy eating and exercise, so it's a family affair (six kids in our family). There are no certain foods for the adults and foods for the kids...we all eat the same meals and snacks. Healthy, whole foods most of the time, occasional treats. NO "diet" foods. Hubby runs, I practice martial arts, and the kids follow suit. When I do pushups and planks, they are right beside me trying to follow along.
    And when my children look for an afternoon snack and one of them asks me "which has more protein?"...I am perfectly fine with that.

Perfect! that's exactly the sort of thing I hope my boys will do! I try to get them to join in but they fizzle out fast! I'd love some advice and I'm sure you will inspire!
  • JamieCRodriguez
    Options
    I have boys too. I've always tried to make good choices for them - it's a case of eat as I say, not as I do :-) but it's becoming much more difficult as they become older. They are good eaters (in that anything goes veggies, fruit etc) but my eldest, in particular, wants to eat junk all the time - on top of the healthy food he is given. He will often eat more than me (he's 10) and I am becoming a little obsessed by the whole thing. I know he's a growing boy and is fairly active but i'm pertified of him becoming over weight. Its such a hard slog getting the excess weight off!

My situation EXACTLY. My oldest is also 10.