Empty stomach before bed or a protein shake?

Options
What should I do for weight loss? Obviously avoiding 120 calories of protei before bed is good (calories not eaten is as good as calories burned), on the other hand, wouldn't I benefit from a casein protein shake before bed to styme the effects of fasting overnight on my metabolism?

I'm just not sure!

Replies

• sineadmm
    sineadmm Posts: 190
    Options
    Personally, I'd drink the shake. I find if I don't eat before bed, I over eat at breakfast.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd drink the shake. I find if I don't eat before bed, I over eat at breakfast.

Personally, I think you don't have a weight problem and need to stop dieting!:explode:
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would drink the shake as well! You will be thankful when you wake up in the morning! :happy:
  • freedMan
    Options
    In the morning Im usually not very hungry and all I have is a bowl of cereal with skim milk....Do you still think I should have the shake even without the worry of overeating at breakfast?
  • sineadmm
    Options
    In the morning Im usually not very hungry and all I have is a bowl of cereal with skim milk....Do you still think I should have the shake even without the worry of overeating at breakfast?

Depends, How many calories have you consumed today? :) Would having the shake go over your limit?
  • freedMan
    Options
    My calorie level is not usually a concern. I eat 6 meals a day at about 400 calories a meal... I burn around 1000 calories a day with excercise. I'm eating back those calories and i'm usually left over with about 200 calories a day to waste (I usually don't!)
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    if you have the calories left for it, there's no reason not to.
  • freedMan
    Options
    I guess my question is more oriented towards what burns the most fat? Should I drink the shake to increase metabolism, or have an empty stomach to encourag fat burning while I sleep?
  • sineadmm
    Options
    if you have the calories left for it, there's no reason not to.

I agree :)
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    I think it is good to do without it this late at night. It would probably be better before a workout or in the morning for breakfast or a morning snack.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Personally, I think you don't have a weight problem and need to stop dieting!:explode:

When i was as young as her 115 was a good weight for me ..........
  • sineadmm
    Options
    The body burns more calories digesting protein, than any other food.I don't know if drinking it before sleeping would be of any benefit, but its definitely better than eating empty cals before bed! :flowerforyou:
  • freedMan
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone!
  • sineadmm
    Options

I am not over weight, when I reach my goal I will not be underweight. I am at an OK range either way. I am dieting healthily, exercising and feel better about myself, so why stop? :)
  • PeachyKeene
    Options

I am not over weight, when I reach my goal I will not be underweight. I am at an OK range either way. I am dieting healthily, exercising and feel better about myself, so why stop? :)

Because if that is a picture of you on your profile and you are not overweight, you look great and should not worry about calories or overeating at all. I think it is okay to exercise and be healthy, but I would love to be where you are and would not be so worried about overeating at breakfast.
  • sineadmm
    Options
    Ohhh, that picture isn't me! I wish it was lol! I have a flabby tummy, trying to work on toning it!
    I do understand your concern though, thanks. :)
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

This is what I do. In fact (to take it one step further) instead of whey protein I drink a casein protein shake. That way it will sustain me a bit longer throughout the night :)
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    My dietitian told me that it was up to me if I wanted a snack before bed. It's all calories in vs calories out. If you've got the calories for it I say go ahead.