Adding protein without adding fat

Options
I changed my percentages to 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. My problem is that i can't seem to add more protein to my diet without going over my fat percentage. How do i encorporate more protein into my diet without adding a lot of fat?? any suggested foods??? thanks.

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, protein powder, egg whites.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Legumes, leafy greens, quinoa, etc.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    protein powder, egg whites, skim milk, fat free greek yogurt
  • jypsyjulia
    jypsyjulia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Legumes, leafy greens, quinoa, etc.

This.
  • MrOFM
    MrOFM Posts: 41
    Options
    Chicken,Egg Whites, Greek Yogurt, Protein Shakes, Lean Beef 93 and Fat free, Fat free cheese.

There are so many ways.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    tilapia and shrimp are low fat and no carbs with high protein
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    My favorite is cottage cheese (1 percent) with a banana sliced in. If you really want to limit calories, then start sampling protein powders until you find your match.
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i've been doing the greek yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken, fish, lean beef, and cheese. i think i might have to explore egg whites and protein powder.
  • Premier Protein shake from Sams club - 30 grams of protein!

you can find the break down here on MFP
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Lower your carbs and raise your fats. Carbs are high and fats are low. The mix you have will be a difficult mix to maintain. The priortiy should be protein goal first, fat goal second, carbs with what's left. Protien should be about .8 grams per lb of lean mass. Fats .35 to .4 grams per lbs of lean mass.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Tofu, canned tuna...
  • lynnsept12
    lynnsept12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of baked/broiled fish, salmon, white chicken and turkey. I have really decreased red meat in my diet-& when I do want a hamburger, I use 93/7 ground turkey and flavor with onion & garlic.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It is actually ok to go over on fat and protein as long as the other side of the equation is carbs.
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to do...just get a tub of protein powder ....either whey or plant based and add to , smoothies etc.

Though I would Question why you want such a high protein level? Though there's lots of people who seem to swear by a high protein diet I can't see much scientific evidence of health benefits and I think there are some concerns which would make me wary abou going too much over the recommended daily amount.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Lower your carbs and raise your fats. Carbs are high and fats are low. The mix you have will be a difficult mix to maintain. The priortiy should be protein goal first, fat goal second, carbs with what's left. Protien should be about .8 grams per lb of lean mass. Fats .35 to .4 grams per lbs of lean mass.

^^^ This. I aim for 30/35/35. Protein first. Healthy fats ( we need them!) then my carbs just fall in. I strive for lots of veg to make up the majority of my carbs. STRIVE ...doesn't always happen, but that's my goal
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

^^^ This. I aim for 30/35/35. Protein first. Healthy fats ( we need them!) then my carbs just fall in. I strive for lots of veg to make up the majority of my carbs. STRIVE ...doesn't always happen, but that's my goal

Yep.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    sub out that stouffers lasagna w/ lean protein and add the difference in those calories to another lean protein at dinner. check how that adjusts your macros.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

There's your answer right there. I'm glad somebody said it. Set your goals in exactly that order, too. Where did the idea of 50% carbs and 20% fats originate? I haven't seen that ratio since the 1970s
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

There's your answer right there. I'm glad somebody said it. Set your goals in exactly that order, too. Where did the idea of 50% carbs and 20% fats originate? I haven't seen that ratio since the 1970s

I went and bought some protein powder last night. I'm hoping this will help. i think i might go ahead and adjust my ratios to include a higher fat percentage though.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Lentils :)