Heart Rate Monitor. Yay or Nay.

Options
Does anyone have any advice about HRM's? I am looking at getting one but wondered if it's even worth it. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Useful to keep heart rate of fat burning zone of 110-130bpm, so yes.
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I recommend using a heart rate monitor for more accurate tracking of the calories you burn during cardio. I use a Suunto M4 and it has been great. My wife has a Polar FT4 and she says it's comfortable and well worth the price.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I just started using the Polar FT4 about a month ago after using a different one that was really inaccurate (Sportline w/o chest strap). I love this one and find it very helpful for tracking not only my cals from running but when I go to boot camp too.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I really like my HRM. I have an old polar (F6 I think) and it really helps me. I not only can keep my heart rate in a certain range, but some days I walk in the gym thinking "I want to burn X amount of calories." And I stay until I am done.

For me I was able to consistently see how medication changes effected my workouts...I was recently put on a medication that makes it difficult to increase my heartrate...I was able to know how long it took to get it back to where I wanted it to be, so I had a better idea what to expect from my workout. For instance, it used to take me 5 minutes to burn 50 calories on an elliptical. Now it takes roughly 8 minutes. It really sucks, but being able to watch my heart rate and my calorie burn helped me get more out of my workout. So now I will be tracking improvements on time to get my heart rate up and calorie burn up.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    YAY. To me it's as important if not more important than a food scale.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
  • MaryBowen27
    Options
    Yay. Honestly there's no reason not to, unless parting with $75 or so is totally unreasonable for your finances. It will help with logging and accuracy, as well as keep you informed on what exercises benefit you the most in different areas (i.e. what exercises get your heart really pumping or not).

Numbers on here are way out of whack. Often times hundreds of calories off (usually much higher) than what people are actually burning.

I use a Polar FT4. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like a lot of people are in favor of it!
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT60, which I believe is a bit more accurate than some of the less expensive models. I suggest you check a site like bodytronics.com and compare models and features. It took me a while to be convinced about getting one, but I'm so glad I did. Good luck!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    Id say yay, but no matter what, dont buy the $30 one at walmart, spurge on a better one, I got the cheap one to use while running and its so hard to get it to read my heart rate
  • contrerasfitness
    Options
    I have the Polar RS200 w/Chest Strap - Hate the strap but it is much more accurate. Forget it for Yoga cause of the lengthening of your torso change the diameter but for all other activities it awesome. always ON so much more accurate. You'll know exactly what your caloric allowance is daily.
  • kristyb1982
    kristyb1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yay. I feel absolutely lost if I forget to put mine on before a run or a workout. I have the Polar FT4 that I bought from bodytronics.com. They had the best prices of any other website and free shipping. I've been using it regularly for three months and the only negative is that it doesn't have a backlight. I've gone running at dusk and it was really hard to see the numbers. Other than that, it's great. Do your research and find one that has the features that you want, but I highly recommend getting one!

One last thing, make sure you get one with a chest strap, if you decide to take the plunge. :) Good luck!
  • susi_q_xx
    susi_q_xx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Definitely! I couldn't live without mine & I never realised how inaccurate the machines are at the gym! I have an FT4 & I love it!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yay. I feel absolutely lost if I forget to put mine on before a run or a workout. I have the Polar FT4 that I bought from bodytronics.com. They had the best prices of any other website and free shipping. I've been using it regularly for three months and the only negative is that it doesn't have a backlight. I've gone running at dusk and it was really hard to see the numbers. Other than that, it's great. Do your research and find one that has the features that you want, but I highly recommend getting one!

One last thing, make sure you get one with a chest strap, if you decide to take the plunge. :) Good luck!

My FT4 has a backlight... it's the top left button. It doesn't stay on, no - but it lights up when I push the button.