A year ago

Options
If you would have told me a year ago that I would be sitting here 67 pounds lighter, I'd tell you, you were crazy. a couple years ago I had pretty much given up on weight loss and had come to terms that I was going to be a fat man the rest of my life. I'd be one of those guys they would have to get extra guys to carry to my grave. I ate pretty much anything and everything. Seeing the picture of me cooking and I barely fit in an area that is almost 4 foot wide, made me wonder. What went through my head to let myself get that big? It's not like I didn't know what not to eat, I'd trained to cook and had worked with many diets over the years. I knew what I needed to do. I have to think of it as pure stupidity...no thought process to it all. I tried many way to many times to lose weight and each time I'd get about 20 pounds off start feeling good, thinking I look good and incorporate the foods that got me there in the first place. Why did I continually do that? Did I think the outcome would be different? The calories would all of a sudden burn faster? No they didn't and that 20 pounds back turned to 30 or 40 pounds. This time I've gotten past that 20 pounds, I've tripled that and I'm not going back to the way I used to eat. I know I can never go back to those bad habits ever again it just doesn't work for me. A friend asked me how long I was going to have to stay on this diet? I told her for the rest of my life. She couldn't believe it, why would you have to stay on it for life? My question is why not? It seems to be working for me I'm losing good, I'm happy, I'm not starving myself, I have tons of NSV's, I see inches coming off. This not my diet it's my LIFESTYLE. So a year ago I wouldn't have believed it and just wait to see where I am in 1 year...let's see how much more if off and how my lifestyle has worked.
Everyone do what works for you, make decisions you can live with, follow the plan that you can afford. Make revisions as you need, add things take away things. Add exercise or take it away if needed if you want just start some music and dance.
Have a great day all and best of luck on your journey to better eating, better health and if you're on my path a thinner you!!

Replies

• mandlteam
    Options
    Couldn't agree with you more, thanks for the inspiration!
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Great job Jerry!
  • judykay05
    Options
    Jer, I totally agree! I have lost 60-70 lbs 3 times in my life and it always eventually comes back. Oddly enough, my eating habits go back to normal at the same time I am gaining weight! Hmmmm, you'd think I would have figured this out earlier in my life, but I think I was trying to ignore it!. How silly!

Truth is that I will need to count and CONTROL my calories for the rest of my life if I want to be healthy!

Like you said, I WILL NEVER go back to eating the way I used to. I want my life back. I want to feel and look better! And, I want to thank all my friends here on MFP cuz I could never have done any of this without them. I am not ready to be an old, fat crumudgen!

Thank you Jer for being honest and speaking your mind! I'm with you and we ALL can do this!!!
  • JohnK580
    JohnK580 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Very well stated. Thank you for sharing.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This was an absolute great post! Loved it!

Thanks! Keep going! I bet better health has come your way beyond just the scale too!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Way to go! You are such an awesome example and motivater!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I sometimes just have stuff running through my head and I need to get them out. Also once I write them I feel more apt to keep it going.
  • Kimi_T
    Options
    Congrats Jerry!!! Thanks for sharing your story. What an encouraging Testimony. Thank you!
    ~Kim:happy:
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Amazing Jerry!! I got goosebumps! So glad to know you!!! Very inspirational. :)