When do cravings start to go?

Options
Just asking if anyone has ever had a breaking point moment where they don't get urges to eat a ton anymore? I heard that it takes 21 days to form/break a habit.. Any comments?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Yep, that was true for me. It took me about two weeks to really stop craving heavy carbs like garlic bread........and close to a month before I didn't really crave anything bad anymore. :) TOTALLY WORTH IT.
  • lindalovestea
    Options
    Did you cut it out completely or did you cut portions? I'm still eating some of my favorite foods, but with smaller portions and I don't know if that would prevent me from getting cravings.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I still get cravings after a year. I just eat a portion controlled amount of what I want. I've never been a big binger, but separating myself from chocolate would be a good way to induce a binge.;.. lol
  • crmason88
    Options
    I had cravings all the time but after about 2 weeks on here, eating right, they went away. Now I eat because I feel hungry, or because I know I need to. If it's been a busy day I will forget to eat so I keep a food diary marking the times I eat and what I eat. If I see I haven't eaten in hours, I'll grab a snack (fruit, veggie, etc)

I always loved healthy foods but I also like some junk foods, though I noticed after you stop having junk food for a few days, you don't crave it anymore. It's like an addiction, and once you're done detoxing, you don't feel like to need it anymore.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yep, that was true for me. It took me about two weeks to really stop craving heavy carbs like garlic bread........and close to a month before I didn't really crave anything bad anymore. :) TOTALLY WORTH IT.
    Ditto, and for me, cutting OUT the really crappy carbs (candy bars, potato chips etc) to make the cravings stop. I wasn't good at "just watching calories. I had to cut out certain trigger foods altogether. (Not a popular approach)
  • shan1204
    Options
    It was about 2 weeks as well for me. They do go and you find it really doesn't bug you. I'm lucky in that I don't really have a sweet tooth or an overwhelming desire to consume loads of crisps or bread. Unfortunately, my weakness is cheese - but that tends to be only if it is in the house. Having said that, there has been some lovely Brie and some Cropwell Bishop Stilton in the fridge (for the last 2 weeks) and I have not been tempted.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It took me about a month of going cold turkey off the junk for it to stick. Now that's not to say I never get a craving...I do once in awhile. But not every day or all the time. Today I had the munchies and I satisfied it as best I could without going crazy. Sometimes you have to give in but in moderation and you work it in your numbers. If I go over, I exercise it off. :)
  • cheninaerin
    Options
    It took me two weeks of cleaner eating to stop craving excessive carbs and junk food.
    Even so, as soon as I 'broke down' and had junk food, I was back to square one.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Try finding substitutes. I replaced my crunchy bad foods with now carrots and hummus. Still has a salty taste, but much better for you. Fruit was a bit harder to take plain as I like sweet sweet, but I found if you mix your fruit with maybe a tablespoon of sugar free cool whip it gives it that extra flavor. But keep in mind you should probably not rely on the cool whip as it's still not good for you! It's just a better alternative then a candy bar! But yea, it takes about a month to break a habit and 3 months to learn new ones.
  • cheninaerin
    Options
    PORTIONS! I don't believe in cutting out favorite foods at all, that's like setting yourself up to fail. Just eat smaller amounts of what you love.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Just asking if anyone has ever had a breaking point moment where they don't get urges to eat a ton anymore? I heard that it takes 21 days to form/break a habit.. Any comments?

It probably took me a year before it was gone. But I can't say "when it's gone, it's gone" (quoted from those TV shopping networks). LOL
  • Onema2012
    Options
    Did you cut it out completely or did you cut portions? I'm still eating some of my favorite foods, but with smaller portions and I don't know if that would prevent me from getting cravings.
    Drinking lots of water or low calorie drink will help to curb appetite thus reducing cravings for all foods. Also maybe try incorporating a refeed day into your cut, perhaps once every two weeks. On this day you can focus more on the foods you enjoy and go over you maintenance level of calories. This could help keep you motivated and is also good for your body's production of hormones such as T3/T4 which are very important for metabolism and fat loss.
  • amandafranks32
    amandafranks32 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The only way I can control cravings is to cut out almost all processed carbs and sugar. I tried for months to eat smaller portions of all types of foods but for me personally that does not work. Also, it took a whole week of doing this before the cravings subsided. Now, I have some of these foods occasionally but if I eat too much I can feel the cravings coming back.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Personally I often find craving closely followed by hunger. Now that I eat more and feel full everyday, my craving is almost non-existent.
  • lindalovestea
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice :)
  • JessigirlJb
    Options
    just mark your calendar and brush your teeth when you crave something.. thats what i do
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am not craving junk... I just want more. More of almost everything. I am a pig.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LOL I still have cravings .for certain things like Gelato or cheese cake ...I just stay aways from that stuff...I could always eat a ton of food and STILL be hungry..I still have that happen from time to time and I have been working out/eating healthy for like seven years now...Everything in moderation. ...
  • debsclio
    Options
    I wondered how on earth I would manage staying off all the junk but after about 3 weeks the urge to eat it stopped. I used to eat becasue I was bored and just ate chocolate and crisps becasue they were there. I now don't feel it necessary to eat them even though i look in the cuboard and its there.