Working out with twin toddlers

Options
I have 3 girls, an 8 year old who is usually up for anything, and twins who will be 2 next month. Our twins are great kids, but they are extremely demanding of our attention and who are not satisfied playing quietly for longer than 14 seconds. I swear, I cannot turn my back for a second or they have scaled the couch and are headed up or down the stairs... So, aside from walking/jogging with our double jogger, are there any other ways you can suggest I get some exercise while still keeping them out of harms way? Our living room is fairly small so it would be difficult to do a workout tape while they were awake (and my hubby and I barely get any sleep now) and the local gyms all have kids clubs that are crazy expensive... I'd like to be able to work out WITH my husband if possible.. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

RV

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:15 to get mine in.
  • fishyfoo77
    Options
    can you see their room from the living room? maybe use a baby gate and some toys to keep them occupied? Also do they take naps, i know you said your living room was small but maybe if they are sleeping you might be able to move some furniture around to make it work. I have a 2 1/2 yr old and well and a 1 1/2 year old so i feel you when it comes to constant attention.

edited to add: my husband and i recently started insanity together, it doesnt take much space at all and we do it nightly after we put the kids to bed.
  • rhvandan
    Options
    Unfortunately our house is a tri-level so the bedrooms are on a different floor. I know that I can work out once they go to bed, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to work out at 9pm. I know, I know, I need to suck it up and figure it out... I'll have to figure out a way to get in some time after they're asleep or before they get up..
  • davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Last year when I started all of this, my kids were 2 and 4, and I would work out during their naptime if I was home. If it was a work day, I would just get up very early to get a work out in. I know its tough, but for me (and it sounds like for you too...) working out is a priority, so we just have to find time whenever we can. I walk around sleep deprived 99% of the time, but I REFUSE to sleep thru the alarm and skip a workout. It's a little better now that they can entertain themselves, but they still get in my way at home. So I get up before they wake up and work out.
    Or like fishyfoo said, maybe baby gates and toys would be just enough to get something in....or tv...

Good luck. Its tricky!
  • fishyfoo77
    Options
    maybe try uping bed time? ours are in bed by 8:00 we do our 40 minute work out shower and in bed by 9:30/9:45 at the latest.
  • ashleyjoy80
    Options
    I like to get my kids involved as much as possible. When I run my 6 year old rides his bike and I push my 4 year old and 1 year old in my BoB. When I'm doing a DVD the kids are under my feet sometimes. Sometimes they're trying to do the work too. When I first started they were always next to me but the more I do it the less interested they are and they usually just play near me.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Go to a park and do body weight exercises or some sort of game where you have to do different things at different points.

1)run to A - do 10 jumping jacks
    2)run to b - do 10 pushups
    3)run to c - do 10 burpees
    4)run to d - do head and shoulders knees and toes as fast as you can
    5)run back to start

who ever gets them done the fastest wins that round. trust me even at 2 they will think it's hilarious, even if they can't do the moves very well. it helps coordination, game play and you're moving pretty well.
  • rhvandan
    Options
    Great suggestions! I think maybe we'll try a video while they're around.. They love dancing and wiggling so maybe that'll inspire them. I would LOVE to up their bedtime. We actually need to work out a better bedtime routine now.. One of them has decided that "ni-ni" time means get up and run around and refuse to sleep.. She hasn't been nodding off until almost 9.. It's killing us! (Any suggestions for getting them back on track would be great too! LOL).
    Hm, maybe we can leave them loose during our outside workout.. We tried the "corral" (the superyard) before and they screamed bloody murder that they weren't free to roam... little monkeys!

Thanks again everyone!