Scale suggestions?

Options
It has been suggested to me that since I'm not seeing a decrease in my weight I invest in a scale that measures body fat. Anyone have a suggestion on a decent one to get and where to get it?

Replies

• SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    The Withings scale is pricy because it sends the data to your wifi net and marries to your apps on smartphones, Fitbit and computer, etc. Like ours a lot.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you are not seeing a decrease in weight, why don't you buy a scale/measuring cups to weigh and measure your food?
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the scales which purport to measure body fat are rather unreliable. Simple things like your relative hydration level will produce wide fluctuations and errors.

Maybe they've improved over the years, but I think they still rely on electrical impedance, which isn't very reliable in a bathroom scale.
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you are not seeing a decrease in weight, why don't you buy a scale/measuring cups to weigh and measure your food?

Have them and use them daily.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

Ok then. Your ticker says you have 76 pounds to go. I would think what I am about to say next is kind of obvious, but I will say it anyway. With 76 pounds to lose, your body fat percentage is probably way way high. Knowing your BF% is not going to make you lose weight any quicker.
  • 126siany
    Options

Ok then. Your ticker says you have 76 pounds to go. I would think what I am about to say next is kind of obvious, but I will say it anyway. With 76 pounds to lose, your body fat percentage is probably way way high. Knowing your BF% is not going to make you lose weight any quicker.

I think she was looking for ways to measure progress outside of simply tracking pounds. :wink:
  • HeatherSLosinIt
    HeatherSLosinIt Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Use the measurements. MFP has a place where you can input all your measurements and track them over time. I am planning on using a combination of scale/measurements, myself. This is because sometimes when you don't see a change in pounds on a scale, it's because it's transferred into muscle (I think that's how it goes), and I've heard a LOT of people out there exclaim over how they have only lost 3-5 pounds, but went down 1-2 pant sizes.
  • dfwo
    dfwo Posts: 6
    Options
    I just ordered an EatSmart GetFit scale ($55 on Amazon) and I love it. It's cool looking, does everyone I could ask a scale to do, and it's been incredibly consistent.
  • 126siany
    Options
    Use the measurements. MFP has a place where you can input all your measurements and track them over time. I am planning on using a combination of scale/measurements, myself. This is because sometimes when you don't see a change in pounds on a scale, it's because it's transferred into muscle (I think that's how it goes), and I've heard a LOT of people out there exclaim over how they have only lost 3-5 pounds, but went down 1-2 pant sizes.

Just wanted to add that your measurements are totally private on MFP--no one can see them but you. I use them as well.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

I think she was looking for ways to measure progress outside of simply tracking pounds. :wink:

With ten pounds to go, I would think the BF% scale would show what she is looking for. With 76 pounds to go, I would guess, she is doing something wrong. IE: Calculating calories wrong, using the LOW Cal counts for foods, over estimating workouts.
  • FutureNurse1998
    Options
    first if you have a wii then get wii fit and the wii fit board