Italian Resaurant on the Menu Tonight... :(

Options
I am going out for my mothers birhday tonight and I was wondering if there are any dinner AT ALL that is at least a better alternative to keep me half way on track. I know there is nothing super healthy but I was wondering if anyone could think of something so I can have something more than a roll and a serving of salad... lol

Replies

• lemontress
    Options
    Soup? Not sure which restaurant you're going to, but whenever I go to Olive Garden or something similar, I get their minestrone soup (100 cal/bowl) and a salad, and if I can afford it, I'll eat a breadstick too.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    What restaurant are you going to? Do they have a website with the menu there?
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What about ordering broccoli or other veggies and a meatball (or two depending on size) with red sauce? Or substitute the meatball for a bowl of soup like minestrone? That's what I usually get at Buca..
  • Culley34
    Options
    In all seriousness, you should probably ditch the roll. :-)

Are you able to access the menu and copy and paste the entrees? At all costs, You want to avoid something breaded / fried (read: chicken / veal parm), and I'm guessing they're using pasta with refined flour.

If you can get the menu, I can give you some pointers.

My parents always insist on going out to eat, so I know how you feel.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Maybe this article can help http://www.builtlean.com/2011/10/17/healthy-italian-food-options-quick-guide/

If you eat seafood, maybe they will have a grilled fish dish and salad or italian vegetables. Marinara/pomodoro sauce is healthy, stay away from alfredo, cream sauce, vodka sauce, butter sauce if you can.
  • dblred0728
    dblred0728 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    BUMP as I'm interested in this too. My family is going to Olive Garden and I'm already stressing about what to get. I want to look normal by eating meaning last weekend when we went out to eat I got a glass of water cause didn't want to go over.

Yes I got picked on and then here come's the "Your not Fat" comments..... ugggggh!
  • Culley34
    Options
    I see the Olive Garden as a constant offender for unhealthy meals. Try using the Eat This! Not That! guides if you know you'll be attending a chain restaurant. As far as the Olive Garden goes... See the editor's comments:

SURVIVAL STRATEGY
    It's not easy finding a reasonable-sized meal at Olive Garden, but it's possible. While most pasta dishes are packed with a day's worth of sodium and over a thousand calories, the Linguine alla Marinara or Ravioli di Portobello are both reasonable options. As for chicken and seafood, stick with the Herb Grilled Salmon, Parmesan Crusted Tilapia, or Shrimp and Asparagus Risotto. And avoid all appetizers, unless you're ordering a garden salad or a single serving of minestrone.

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/restaurants/olive-garden
    BUMP as I'm interested in this too. My family is going to Olive Garden and I'm already stressing about what to get. I want to look normal by eating meaning last weekend when we went out to eat I got a glass of water cause didn't want to go over.

Yes I got picked on and then here come's the "Your not Fat" comments..... ugggggh!
  • leholcomb
    leholcomb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It is a regional restaurant. Below is the address for the website. Thanks guys!!

http://www.provinos.com/index.htm
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    What about ordering broccoli or other veggies and a meatball (or two depending on size) with red sauce? Or substitute the meatball for a bowl of soup like minestrone? That's what I usually get at Buca..

Posts like this make me sad.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Well, if it were me - I would do one of two things.

First, I'd either choose one of the options below (may or may not eat the appetizer as well)

Appetizer:
    Mushrooms Ripieno
    Eggplant Parmigiana - ask them not to bread the eggplant and skip the pasta, ask instead for a side of veggies
    or Eggplant Vegetale
    Red Snapper Francese - skip the pasta, add side of veggies
    Skip the rolls and other carbs.

Or

I would go and enjoy the meal, but ask them for half the serving of pasta with my meal and skip the roll. I would also drink plenty of water and just enjoy the day. There is always tomorrow to get back to business and if you are consistently eating correctly, a pasta here and there (in moderation) is fine.
  • jtd1111
    jtd1111 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Posts like this make me sad.

Me too! Eat healthy before you leave so you are not 'Starving'. Enjoy the night out and order a nice dinner. Box up a portion of your meal.
  • leholcomb
    leholcomb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Was just going to let you know that I opted for:

2 rolls (they are very small)
    2 small portions of salad
    side order of spaghetti

I drank three glasses of water before I went in so I wasn't overly hungry. I had a snack later that night and still stayed under my calorie goal! I am quite proud of my discipline as that was my favorite restaurant that I don't get to eat often.

I am part of the September Mini Challenge and it is really keeping me motivated! Check it out below! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8113-september-mini-challenge
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you don't go out often, I really don't see why one shouldn't order whatever you want at a restaurant. They are for those special occasions. I like to choose something that I think looks really good, and which is different than my everyday food. Portion sizes are usually huge anyway, so I rarely finish them.

For me, an important factor in a LIFELONG LIFESTYLE is that you allow yourself treats every once in a while. Not everyday no, but life is gonna be pretty miserable if you stress out about celebrating someones birthday at a restaurant, because thinking of what one can't eat. Just my thoughts on the subject.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    OR

Have a KICK *kitten* owrk out today, and just enjoy yourself. Dont go all crazy, get what you want, eat half, and get the rest to go.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Was just going to let you know that I opted for:

2 rolls (they are very small)
    2 small portions of salad
    side order of spaghetti

I drank three glasses of water before I went in so I wasn't overly hungry. I had a snack later that night and still stayed under my calorie goal! I am quite proud of my discipline as that was my favorite restaurant that I don't get to eat often.

I am part of the September Mini Challenge and it is really keeping me motivated! Check it out below! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8113-september-mini-challenge

way to go!! that sounds good to me!!
  • Christieson
    Christieson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Way to go. I hope you enjoyed it.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Soup? Not sure which restaurant you're going to, but whenever I go to Olive Garden or something similar, I get their minestrone soup (100 cal/bowl) and a salad, and if I can afford it, I'll eat a breadstick too.

good grief- not to hi-jack and all- but olive garden is NOT an italian restaurant- grosssssssssss
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, you should probably ditch the roll. :-)

Yes, maybe you are right. The roll will definitely make her gain 40,000 oz. I think she should stick to chewing ice, as it burns calories.

EAT, PEOPLE. This post is sad and disturbing. (As I am happily eating right now and still losing weight)