Stop sugar cravings?

Options
How do you guys stop your sugar cravings without adding any calories? I always find myself doing great for the most part but everyday, I just HAVE to have that sweets bomb which adds anywhere between 200-350 calories to my very small calorie allowance (1200). It sucks because otherwise I eat pretty well but while I can find a way to balance things out to equal around 1200, it pushes me close to 1300 a day, making me exercise even more.

Replies

• DetroitKilljoy
    Options
    bump
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump keen to see ideas
  • caseyg9888
    Options
    Um. Stop eating sugar. Once you stop eating it you stop craving it. Its not that difficult.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Eat a piece of fruit? Have a piece of dark chocolate?
  • sespi
    sespi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually go for fruit or sugar free fudgesicles ( they have something like 35 calories and they totally kill the sweet craving for me). Oh and sometimes the slow churned ice cream - if you actually measure out 1/2 a cup, it's only 140 calories or something like that, which isn't bad if you just really need some ice cream.
  • jennings1331
    Options
    Yep! This is true! Force yourself to stop eating so much sugar and then you quit craving it! If you MUST have some then choose dark chocolate :) Much healthier! I also try to eat natural fats like almonds. They help stop cravings too.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my sweets. I subsitute for fruit, dark chocolate(they say a piece a day has benefits for your body) and frozen yogurt. Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating the whole thing (200-350 is a lot) just eat a bite or two. I love chocolate. I have one bite sized piece at night. 46 calories.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have 2 or 3 Dove Dark Chocolate Promises (slowly melt in my mouth - yum.....) or 1/2 cup slow churned ice cream at night. At about 100 calories, it's just enough to give me a sweet treat without going over calories for the day.
  • sandiburn
    Options
    Um. Stop eating sugar. Once you stop eating it you stop craving it. Its not that difficult.

It is that difficult.... When you have been eating sweets all your life its hard to just walk away.

I read on Jillian Michael's site that you tend to crave sugar more when your tired. That's why it is sooo hard at night to resist it. I have started keeping fresh cherries in the fridge. I can "pick " at them and they are way better for me.
  • Montemuscle1970
    Montemuscle1970 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There was some research that showed that processed sugars in sweets actually trigger similar responses in the brain as heroine or cocaine. So, that kinda sucks. Mostly, its recommended to stop consuming them cold turkey.

A lot of trial and error to find something that will satisfy those cravings in place of that stuff. Plus if you're on a diet, your body will be looking to take in calories any way it can, especially if you reduce your calories too much. Sugary foods are the easiest way to get those extra calories, so that makes the cravings worse. Make sure you're not on a diet that's too extreme.

Honestly, if you can, throw all that sweet crap in the trash or give it away to someone that's not in your house, and give it some time. You won't be thrilled, but you'll decide driving all the way to the store for brownie mix isn't worth it...hopefully!
  • jsky55
    Options
    Adding lemon to your water is supposed to calm your sweet tooth
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Fruit does it for me. I have fruit every night before bed. I also get the Hershey's Special Dark bars for a treat when I have chocolate cravings.
  • KT022
    KT022 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try a flavoured green tea? I always have green tea that has strawberry infused in it, sooo good!
  • kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There was some research that showed that processed sugars in sweets actually trigger similar responses in the brain as heroine or cocaine. So, that kinda sucks. Mostly, its recommended to stop consuming them cold turkey.

This! I had to go cold turkey to get rid of my cravings. Almost a week of living hell (worst for my husband who had to listen to me whine about wanting ice cream or a candy bar, or even a spoonful of jam) and then it was all over. I havent eaten or wanted sweets for 2 months.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

...Make sure you're not on a diet that's too extreme.

Honestly, if you can, throw all that sweet crap in the trash or give it away to someone that's not in your house, and give it some time. You won't be thrilled, but you'll decide driving all the way to the store for brownie mix isn't worth it...hopefully!
    I just made up my mind that it wouldn't be forever, but that I *would* stop cold turkey. Set it for 30 days, then as 30 days came closer, decided on 45 days. Yes, it was difficult, but for me, I had to do something. And this something meant cutting out all processed sugars for 30 days. It's a nice goal and you'll be better off within like 4 days. Cliche, but nobody can do it BUT you.
  • hello_miffy
    hello_miffy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, I was completely addicted to sugar and would go mad and binge then give up. I am now doing low carb (keto) diet and its been 2 days and I've pretty much stopped craving it already, I just had to cut it completely
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump...great topic
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I love fiber 1 browines only 90 cals and a good amount of fiber plus the sugar is actually pretty low in it
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I do the dark chocolate thing too. I don't really have a sweet tooth, but when I DO get a craving, I eat a piece of dark chocolate every night for a few nights and that kills it dead. Sometimes, if I'm out, I'll buy a natural liquorice bar instead for about 100cal and munch that.