Nearing goal wait, buuut...

Options
As of today, I'm 4 pounds away from my goal weight. I honestly thought my body would be almost completely toned by now, that last bit of belly bulge would be gone, the thighs would be a lot smoother, less jiggle...those are my two biggest concerns. In fact, they're my only concerns.

Info about me: 25 years old, 5'1", 129 lbs. I'm aiming for 125, and I really don't want to weigh less than 120...I like looking fit and strong, not boney. I do cardio 6x/wk, resistance 3x/wk (biceps/triceps, chest/back, shoulders/legs), abs 4-5x/wk. So here's my question: would it be ok, and even healthy (mentally), for me to adjust my goal weight accordingly? I'm not huge on scales...I weigh myself two, maybe 3 times a month. Should I nix the scale and just focus on how my body looks and how I feel? My only concern with that is I will neglect it entirely and wind up at an unhealthy weight without even realizing it (kind of like how I gained the weight in the first place).

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Depending on your frame, you will probably not look boney at a lower weight than 120. I am a couple of inches taller than you and I am 119 right now and nowhere near skinny looking. I think if you are not happy with your appearance, you should definitely adjust your goal, especially since you are strength training along with cardio. The only time I can remember lookin kind of boney was a few years ago when I got down to 107 lbs with no resistance training in my fitness routine.

Good luck with your goals!
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    MFP makes us have a goal weight... but the real goal isn't the weight, it's having the body that we want to have. Maybe it's being able to fit into any pair of size whatever jeans, maybe it's a certain percentage of body fat, or maybe you want your waist to be however many inches smaller than your hips.

Weight is great, but it's really more about how you feel about your body so it's fine for your weight goal to change.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    Thanks for the input and encouragement! I like that I'm finally back at a healthy weight, and I'm gonna work to make sure I stay there. I think the hard part is just starting, but I'm looking forward to it :)
  • mollymoo89
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation as you! I'm 5'2 and currently 116-117. My goal weight is under 115. I've been told not to focus on the weight and the number on the scale but I feel like I should look totally different since I'm close to my goal. My trouble spots are my thighs and stomach as well. The only prob for me is that I'm not strength training and am going to incorporate it into my fitness plan. I'm gonna start there and see what happens!
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you want to get in better shape.....gotta start lifting weights. Good job so far and good luck finishing it out.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I would just focus on getting to your first goal, and really be proud of the fact that you got there. It's no small feat. Then, you can always drop your goal weight by 5 pounds at a time if you like.

We're the same height, and I've dropped my goal weight 3 times. From 120 to 110, and now 105. It's all about your bone structure, and how you carry your weight. Small frame, vs large frame, etc.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you are happy where you are at, then embrace it. IMO, at 5'1" you could healthily go less than 129. But you need to do your research. There are all kinds of calculators on the internet about Body Fat, lean body mass, ideal weight, etc. That could give you a very accurate idea of the lowest you should go and how that relates to where you are currently at.

Since you have thinned out, you may want to start reading some of these posts about the success other women have had with less of a cardio focussed workout and one with heavy lifting. Look for the success stories that have pictures. You will notice a difference between the success stories that are just weight loss and the others that are heavy lifting. You may feel that your body is lacking the shape that you could gain through heavy lifting. I've been converted by these testimonies. With the support of one of MFPals, I altered my diet to have a protein focus, and have started lifting heavy. I was in a month-long plateau when I altered my focus. Almost immediately I started seeing results.

Congrats on your success! Whatever your choice, you've done a great job and you're BEAUTIFUL!
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    MY suugestIon is weight training.. Help with the toning and the muscle gain will keep your weight over 125. Sounds like you want to reshape your body not just lose pounds
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting.

3 months of lifting, starting at 45 lbs and progressing up. Before, then after. I actually weigh more in the after photos even though I am slimmer.

side_progress-2.jpg

Oh yea, I'm 5'2" and roughly 125 lbs.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have dropped my goal a few times. From 170 to 160 to 155. I may end up dropping it again but am doing a couple months on maintence at 158-159 and doing some weights to see if I can gain a little muscle mass.

(I know the weights are a little higher but I am 6'0" so the healthy range is about 135-184, big range to try and figure out where I need to be at so am trying to go by bf% instead.)
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting.

Listen to her she knows what she is talking about.
  • ptak1sm
    Options
    Thanks for the extra input! I do lift, 45-60 minutes a day, 3 days a week. I'm currently doing high sets, high reps. I work with a trainer to redo my plan once a month, and next month he's switching me back to heavy lifting (4-5 reps/set). Hopefully that'll help me get the results I'm looking for.
  • rrumbolt
    rrumbolt Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i would have to say give jilian michaels work out a try.
  • KaraJ22
    Options
    Instead of focusing on weight, try to focus on body fat percentage instead. Cutting fat and building muscle while staying close to your goal weight you will definitely get you the toned look and feel.
  • DetroitKilljoy
    Options
    Changing your goal weight seems alright. Personally I"m 5'1"-5'2" ish as well. Right now I weigh 110lb (I started at 113) and I wanted to get down to closer to my lowest weight which is at 104-105ish. It isn't much, but it makes a big difference to me. Just recognize what is in the healthy BMI for our height and don't pay attention too much to weight but also inches around your body because muscle is heavier than fat of course. :)
  • ptak1sm
    Options
    Heavy lifting.

3 months of lifting, starting at 45 lbs and progressing up. Before, then after. I actually weigh more in the after photos even though I am slimmer.

side_progress-2.jpg

Awesome! Exactly the kind of results I want. Unfortunately, I'm on a budget and go to a gym that reflects that. They have some great machines: smith, cable; but they dont allow power lifts so I'm kind of limited by that. Are these kinds of results possible without power lifts? Achievable through heavy lifting?
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting.

Awesome! Exactly the kind of results I want. Unfortunately, I'm on a budget and go to a gym that reflects that. They have some great machines: smith, cable; but they dont allow power lifts so I'm kind of limited by that. Are these kinds of results possible without power lifts? Achievable through heavy lifting?

I do squats, dead lifts, barbell row, o/h press, and bench press (Strong Lifts 5x5). Everything I've heard about smith machines from trainers, etc. is really bad. Smith machine = injury machine.

My weight lifting for the last 3 months has been sporadic at times. I moved across the country. I was unemployed for 2 months. I used free trials from different gyms, Living Social deals, anything I could get. If I took too much time off, I deloaded and worked back up. My regimen has been far from perfect. Do what you can. Be creative. :)

You'll be surprised what you can get.
  • ptak1sm
    Options
    Heavy lifting.

I do squats, dead lifts, barbell row, o/h press, and bench press (Strong Lifts 5x5). Everything I've heard about smith machines from trainers, etc. is really bad. Smith machine = injury machine.

My weight lifting for the last 3 months has been sporadic at times. I moved across the country. I was unemployed for 2 months. I used free trials from different gyms, Living Social deals, anything I could get. If I took too much time off, I deloaded and worked back up. My regimen has been far from perfect. Do what you can. Be creative. :)

You'll be surprised what you can get.

Thanks! I'll look into some local deals and see what I can get.
  • KellieNause
    Options
    As others have said, get to the closest goal you have and see how you feel :) If you'd like to lose more, adjust your calories and exercise accordingly. If you're strength training, you'll notice you might weigh a bit more, even though your clothes fit better. I'm 5'2" and my goal weight is 125. The last time I weighed 125 I had played soccer for 14 years, so I was quite muscular. It just depends on your frame, where you carry your weight, and how much is muscle. Good luck, you look fantastic!