1260 Calories Per Day?

Options
MFP set me to eat 1,260 per day, but I feel that is very low as I'm 5.3 and weigh 248. Every other site has set me at around 1,600 with adjustments at every 10 to 12 pound loss. I believe that eating only 1,200 calories per day is for a fit and trim person. I changed my goals for 1,600 per day, but wanted to hear what others think about this and what is your experience?

Replies

• tnmyers23
    tnmyers23 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    First questions I have is what your activity level is and how many pounds per week do you want to lose. 1260 is a low number but with exercise you can increase that number. I dropped my calorie consumption down to 1460 and I do good at that amount.
  • zeedo_odeez
    Options
    Don't got by the numbers of any calculator.

Week 1: Eat at a reasonable below maintenance level
    Week 2: If you've improved, carry on. If not adjust by 200-300 calories per day
    Repeat.

This works for weight loss and weight gain and also works for body composition if you swap the adjusting calories to adjusting macro ratios.

In my opinion this is the only diet plan most people should follow, barring medical advice to the contrary.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I first started mfp put me at 1200 which I did for a while til my loss stalled for about 4 months. Then I learned you should not eat below your BMR. 1260 is way too low. Check out the group on here eat more to weigh less, they'll be able to get you going in the right direction. Good Luck!
  • msteresao
    msteresao Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also 52 I first weight in at 266 started about 2 months ago I'm at 1440 cals Been losing 2 pounds a week, Down 20 in all Feel free to add me as a friend
  • Hi, I agree with don't go by the number of calories per day even though I go by the same thing, I mainly use them to help me control what I am eating i am on the 1500 calorie diet hoping it works for me and so far it has, if you feel that what they put you at is to low then change it some, don't worry so much about the number, also i think it's based on the activity you do I am slowly getting better at this sight but still very very new I'v been having my boyfriends mom show me how to enter stuff in and posting entries and stuff, hope you get to your goal, I am slowly getting there :)
  • ginabops
    Options
    That is pretty low to start. You should be between 1400-1600 depending on your exercise schedule. never go below 1200 as it puts your body in starvation mode which then feeds off any muscle you have not fat. Be careful. Increase your protein, eat complex carbs, and eat colorful veggies.
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have it set to lose more than a pound per week.
    I'm 5'3", 235lbs and it has me set at 1660cals/day and I'm pretty sedentary and my goal is to lose 1lb/week which is very reasonable. Any more loss will likely come from exercise calories burned.
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    Mine's set for 1360 but I tend to run between 1200 and 1400 calories per day. I've found that at 1200, I don't feel as well later as I do at around the 1360 anyway. My diet's set so I can lose 1 to 1.5 lbs a week without exercise. LOL Not. I need the exercise to lose at all even at that amount of calories. (The product of a stupid move as a teenager that blew my metabolism to smithereens)
    So far so good but I'm constantly chronicly low on proteins and am fighting to keep enough in my diet.
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    it also depends on ur exercise, u can eat way way more if ur just trying to net 1200, i eat 2000+cals a day but i only net 1000, im also 5'2 but im more in shape now
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    it's all dependent on what you set your goal to be...if you set it to lose 2 lbs a week that's -1000 calories from maintence...so if you want more calories per day...then expect to lose wt. slower... personall since I am a guy I usually drop 1600-1200 each day..not including exercise...and starvation mode takes 48 hrs to take effect(or affect)...so unless you eat 0 calories you arent going to ever hit starvation mode...some people even fast 1 or 2 days a week, I don't recommend it; if you don't understand the princpal...

most like it's the need for water..since most people don't know what true hunger pains are..they assume that stomach noise/grumbling is the stomach telling them it's hungry....but most likely it's just needs water!..so drink more water! you will feel better
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Although this was posted a few days ago, I just saw it. Your BMR is 1705, so for MFP to recommend 1260 calories, you must have told it you wanted to lose a lot per week. If you picked sedentary as a default activity level and took the default of a pound a week I would have expected to see something in the order 1400 to 1500.