My legs are KILLING me!

Options
I usually walk 2 miles a day, and the whole time, my legs feel like they're going to fall off but as soon as I stop and get off of them, they're fine. While I'm walking I'm scared that they will come out from under me and I'll fall face first. Is this normal? Am I missing something? I don't think my legs should hurt this much!

Replies

• wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh, or what your activity level was before starting to "workout" but I know what you mean. I've only been at it for 4 days and it is improving.. and I am willing to bet I am substantially larger than you. Don't give up! Are you taking in enough water? How are you breathing?
  • xsara_bearx
    xsara_bearx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 280. My activity level before I began exercising was basically nonexistent. I've been at it for almost 2 weeks now and haven't lost a thing but time. I drink water while I walk, and I breathe pretty easily- in through my nose, out through my mouth.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Without knowing more about you fitness level and workout it is hard to give too much input. My guess is your body is asking you to layoff a little bit. Perhaps you should do 1 mile instead of two. If you push your body too hard you increase the chance of injury which will sideline you a lot longer than you want.

Your other option might be to try a different activity (biking, elliptical, kayaking) that might put less stress on your body. The message here is: listen to your body.

Edit: I just saw your reply, if you are going from non-existent activity to two miles a day you probably are over doing it. Take a break every other day to give your muscles a chance to recuperate. They will thank you and it will help you stay on track.
  • CraigmileD
    Options
    In addition to the recommendations above, make sure you're wearing good shoes as well.
  • IntenseRSX04
    Options
    strength training is more effective, it speeds up your metabolism
  • wrbiii
    Options
    strength training is more effective, it speeds up your metabolism

While I agree with this, some people just can't dive into strength training... and if she is trying to lose weight she won't be all that happy to see gains (even if it is in lean mass)
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    I was in the same boat and still get foot pain but figured out that I had to make sure not to eat anything that converts to sugar and then to fat that my body doesn't absolutely needs and upped my proteins so they're at least 25% of my total daily intake, my legs no longer feel like I'm torturing me along the way. DON'T GIVE UP! It gets better.
    At one point my doctor actually asked me how much pain I was actually in and on what kind of scale. I told him that with all the exercise that I was forcing myself to do on a 10 scale, I was 4 - 6 all the time the first time he asked. The second time I was able to say that I was at 3 and then 2 and now my feet are at a 2 and the rest of me's between 1 and 2 when I push myself. There's still a long way to go but I'm going to get there and you can do it too.
  • wrbiii
    Options
    Also, now that I have looked at your profile: I don't know what your intake is, but if you'll walk at a slower speed for longer (it takes approximately 30 minutes to even touch your fat reserves) you'll find that you won't hurt as much, and will probably see more progress.

I have been doing my walks between 2.5 and 3.5 mph and while there is a little burn around 3.5, I can go about an hour and then I just get bored... so I hit the weights.
  • nokuperus
    nokuperus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 280. My activity level before I began exercising was basically nonexistent. I've been at it for almost 2 weeks now and haven't lost a thing but time. I drink water while I walk, and I breathe pretty easily- in through my nose, out through my mouth.

Were Close in weight.. I started working out again 8/01/12 and the scale hasn't moved anything until 9/2/12 (since then i have lost 1 Lb. a day)- your body is in shock because your starting something new.. .. Track your measurements too. I lost 2+ inches in my gut/stomach before the scale dropped. I would also back off to 1 mile 3 times a week.. Give your Body rest. if your shooting for everyday workouts rotate with lifting and cardo and it will help even out your loss. Try to drink 2 Gallons of water a day or close too. My trainer told me every 100 lbs you weigh drink 1 Gallon of water.. and I do!! If you dont drink enough the scale will show loss because of dehydration, too much will gain due to bloating.
    If you want to Friend me it sounds like were on similar journeys!! Good Luck!!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm with the ones who say you are overdoing it. Don't worry about distance yet. Go for a few minutes. Maybe a few times a day. I weigh somewhat less than you do and no way would I expect my body to be able to do what you are asking yours to do. It takes time. It will happen. Learn how to start a walking program, for larger people. Learn about nutrition. Definitely get out and walk but there are lots of exercises that can be done at home too. Stretching, hand weights. It's all a start. Your body is feeling like you're trying to make it run a marathon. :smile: It can't
  • xsara_bearx
    Options
    This may just be my problem. Thanks!
  • xsara_bearx
    Options
    You're right, I'm going for loss first, but I'd also like to tone as I go.
  • xsara_bearx
    Options
    Thanks!
  • xsara_bearx
    Options
    Do I need to track my measurements with a tape measure?
  • xsara_bearx
    Options
    I make sure to take a break every other day even though it makes me feel lazy lol but I know my body needs to rest and get used to all this activity I'm doing all of a sudden.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to start out slow and work your way up. Also make sure you have good shoes. I have knee problems and find that what shoes I wear make a big difference in how much pain I have while walking. For me Sketchers Shape-ups seem to help best. I think it is because they have really thick cushiony soles. I also find that getting enough rest makes a big difference in my pain level.
  • xsara_bearx
    Options
    I agree that you need to start out slow and work your way up. Also make sure you have good shoes. I have knee problems and find that what shoes I wear make a big difference in how much pain I have while walking. For me Sketchers Shape-ups seem to help best. I think it is because they have really thick cushiony soles. I also find that getting enough rest makes a big difference in my pain level.

I heard those were actually doing harm to people, but I've only ever worn them once. You don't have any problems with them?
  • nokuperus
    nokuperus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    yea track your measurements with a tape measure.. i Do my arms, 7 Inch above my knee, around my waist (butt), and my stomach, as well as my chest (right over your nipples.)..

Also the best shoes are Asics but not from like shopko or walmart. go to a actual shoe place and get some. I have 3 herniated discs pressing on my sciatic nerve as well as previous knee surgery and wear the Asics I bought from Scheels and they give me no pain.. the main thing is having arch support in your shoes-- that is what causes back pain and other problems from lack of support in your feet.. any questions msg me i would love to help! -- also my diary and exersise is open for you to glance at too :) (if you open yours i can help that way if you would like)