For the Ladies - Bra Size Changes?

Options
So I got fitted last night for new bras after losing almost 40 lbs.
Apparently lost 2 inches in the band size, but the cup size increased.

Went from a 44C to a 42DD. Both times measured at the same place, but by different people.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Have to admit though, I am liking the fit of the new bra so far.

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Yes. I think two things are going on:

-First, MOST women are wearing too large a band size and too small a cup size. When most women get professionally fitted, they at least go down a band size and up a cup size. Sometime it's more drastic than that!

-Second, I have the same issue that you do. When I first began losing weight (had about 40 to lose), my band size went down and cup size went up. My ribcage gets smaller before the girls do.

With more weight lost and more exercise, both went down. When I lost the full 40 pds, I had gone from a 40DDD to a 34DD. At times in my life in which I've done a lot of running combined with some strength training, I've been as small as a 32DD/34D depending on the specific bra. So for me, exercise makes some difference.
  • newcomer9
    newcomer9 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ooo god for u. lol some people pay money for that kind of change lol. U'm I would say they've gottin firmer. Size maybe just the band, I've notice a smaller change.
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What most people don't know is that the cup size gets bigger by band size as well. A C cup for a 36 band is smaller than a C cup for a 38 band. Therefore it makes sense that if you haven't lost any weight from your breasts that you would need to go up cup sizes if you are going down in band sizes.
  • 126siany
    Options
    What most people don't know is that the cup size gets bigger by band size as well. A C cup for a 36 band is smaller than a C cup for a 38 band. Therefore it makes sense that if you haven't lost any weight from your breasts that you would need to go up cup sizes if you are going down in band sizes.

Good point!
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

REALLY!? This is news to me!! No wonder I can't find a new bra that fits! I thought I'd gone from a 36 C to a 34 B but the C seemed too roomy and the B too small(I'm literally busting out). So maybe I'm still a C afterall and I just need a 34C?... I'll have to check. Thanks for posting this!!:flowerforyou:
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Wow!I had no idea!
  • gnarlynoodle
    gnarlynoodle Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Wow!I had no idea!

Interesting! I need to get fitted. Boobs was the first place I lost all the weight. Family and friends have no qualms about commenting on it, either. I'm not used to being small chested :(
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest going to Lane Bryant stores for a free fitting!
    Very nice and descreet.
    They know what they are doing...can even help you find the best bra for you.
  • 126siany
    Options
    Very nice and descreet.

IF you have a band size of 38 or higher.

I went in there last year when I needed a 36 band size (smallest they carry). I told them what I needed, they said there wouldn't be many of those and 3 employees stood behind the desk gossiping about me while I crawled around the lingerie section on my hands and knees for 40 minutes to find the ONE bra of my size in the entire store.

I got the message, believe me, which was don't go in there and make them feel bad by losing any weight. I'm getting livid just remembering it. I don't even shop there for friends and relatives who wear those sizes any more.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    My boobs don't change at all in size, I just get bigger or smaller round the ribs. At my thinnest I'm a 38d, at my fattest I'm a 44a. Obviously these are all the same cup size, it's just the band size changing.

While we're on the subject it might be useful to recap how to measure your bra size. You measure round the ribcage in inches, and then add four inches if it's an even number, and five if it's an odd number. You then measure round the bust and compare it to the previous figure. One inch larger is an A cup, two inches larger is a B cup, three inches larger is a C cup, etc. Obviously if your band size goes down but your boobs remain the same, you will go up a cup size as there is now a greater difference between your boobs and your ribcage.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Very nice and descreet.

I went in there last year when I needed a 36 band size (smallest they carry). I told them what I needed, they said there wouldn't be many of those and 3 employees stood behind the desk gossiping about me while I crawled around the lingerie section on my hands and knees for 40 minutes to find the ONE bra of my size in the entire store.

I got the message, believe me, which was don't go in there and make them feel bad by losing any weight. I'm getting livid just remembering it. I don't even shop there for friends and relatives who wear those sizes any more.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience there.
    Every store I've been to the customer service is great. Course I am a plus size.
    They even congratulated me last night when I told them why I needed measured.
  • 126siany
    Options
    Very nice and descreet.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience there.
    Every store I've been to the customer service is great. Course I am a plus size.
    They even congratulated me last night when I told them why I needed measured.

It probably comes down to the local employees. I don't think my Mom has ever had any trouble in her local store.

I was caught off guard because I had re-stocked bras a few times in there when gaining and losing weight, so I was surprised when I hit persona non grata status. It's probably just that store, or maybe they were having a bad day.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was a 34A, but now can fit 32B.
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My boobs don't change at all in size, I just get bigger or smaller round the ribs. At my thinnest I'm a 38d, at my fattest I'm a 44a. Obviously these are all the same cup size, it's just the band size changing.

While we're on the subject it might be useful to recap how to measure your bra size. You measure round the ribcage in inches, and then add four inches if it's an even number, and five if it's an odd number. You then measure round the bust and compare it to the previous figure. One inch larger is an A cup, two inches larger is a B cup, three inches larger is a C cup, etc. Obviously if your band size goes down but your boobs remain the same, you will go up a cup size as there is now a greater difference between your boobs and your ribcage.

YES! Great post! I actually need to do this all my bras are baggy on me right now but I'm trying to hold out until I am closer to goal weight.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Yup, when I started losing weight I was a 44DD, now after almost 80 lbs lost (none of which has been in the girls) I am a 36J
  • MizzTatiana
    MizzTatiana Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yup, went from a 34D to a 32DD. My boobs are the same size they always were, but my waist (I don't know what else to call it) just got smaller. :) I wouldn't be upset except that even though my boobs are still technically the same size it does seem like I lost some perkiness/volume. I used to work at Victoria's Secret back in the day, and recently went back to be fitted, and the woman tried to tell me that I was still a 34, but only about a B/C... uh... no! "A 34 rides up awful." I said, but I tried on a 32C, and a 32D anyway... and that didn't go well. Had a ton of boob just all hanging out over the top... :( so finally the woman had to admit, that yes, I in fact WAS a 32DD! A good push up bra in a size 32DD is a WITCH to find, and forget about shopping in the store for them... You can't find that size in a store, but even if on the rare occasion, you do, it's a granny bra... So I order mine online, and pay an arm an a leg for it, cus once you get into that DD range, they charge you an extra average of $10 or more just for that special size. Never mind that a 32DD is the same amount of fabric as a 34D.... but whatever...smh
  • MizzTatiana
    MizzTatiana Posts: 116 Member
    Options

YES! Great post! I actually need to do this all my bras are baggy on me right now but I'm trying to hold out until I am closer to goal weight.
    Oh no! Don't hold out!!! Don't do that to yourself!! A good bra is ESSENTIAL!!! If your girls aren't properly supported, you're gonna hate yourself later when you are at your goal weight. What most women don't know is that the muscles that hold the breasts up are VERY thin and fragile, and once theyre gone, that's it, they're gone, you can't get repair them without surgery. Go splurge on a new bra today, PLEASE!!!
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yeah my boobs are the same but my ribcage is thinner.
    I was a 34gg now a 32h.
    There's a shop in UK called bravissimo and it has dozens of beautiful bras all different styles, patterns, colours etc starting at a 28 back and up to a L cup i think. My favourite shop lol!
  • MarisaLWood
    MarisaLWood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yup--went from a 40D to a 34DD/32F(!)--depending on the style of the bra--with 60 pounds lost. Since the whole idea behind my losing weight was reducing the likelihood that I'd lose a breast to cancer, I guess I should have been careful what I wished for :wink: I definitely DID keep the breasts, so much so that a female co-worker noticed!

I think whether or not you lose anything up there when you lose weight depends on how much of the breasts is fat and how much is glandular tissue. I have "dense" breasts for my age, i.e. more than 75% of what I have is glandular tissue.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I lost both band size and cup size. Went from busting out of 34DD to between 32C and 32D.