Knee Pain

Hey there!

Question for you...I've consistently had knee pain when I try to do squats and lunges. I've tried changing my form and how far I dip down but it seems like I always feel unstable and it hurts slightly.

Normally I just skip doing those because I don't want to injure myself BUT I'm now training for a Spartan Sprint (lots of hills, rope climbs, etc) and I want to start doing a LOT more squats and lunges during my workouts to better prepare for the race.

Has anyone experienced what I described above? Do you think it hurts only because I'm not used to it or is the pain/instability a sign of something more serious?

I'm 29 and currently weigh 233 at 5'6". Thanks for any and all input! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• What part of your knee?

I've had really bad patella (the tendon in the front of your knee) since senior year of high school. Add on to that 4 years of college volleyball, and you'll end up with a bad knee. Literally had holes tearing in my patella. First things first, you need to rest your knees for a day or two (if it's a problem, and not actually just soreness). Ice, stretch it, etc.

You should also start doing knee exercises. You can look them up, or I can give you some that I did for rehabbing my knee. You need to strengthen your knee before you start doing a ton of squats and lunges.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    It isn't a current injury. It happens any time I try to squat or lunge. I don't experience pain at any other part of my day. The pain is probably more towards the front of my knee than anywhere else...front top of my knee (if that makes sense).

I'm seeing a doctor Monday for a general physical (I finally have insurance after 4 LONG years without it) so I'll mention it to him as well but I thought I'd ask everyone here to hear other input :wink:
  • Sounds like it could maybe be your patella, cause that sounds like where I have pain. I would definitely ask the doctor.

Stretching and doing knee strengthening exercises will help too, regardless of what the problem is. Strengthen it before you go crazy with a bunch of squats and lunges.

Let me know if I can help any other way!