Late night hobbies to curb snacking???

Options
I work nights so my days off I am up late when everyone else is sleeping. I get stuck behind the TV and bored which makes me want to eat..eat...eat!! I am looking for some hobbies to do to keep me occupied. I am not a big reader so that is out. I am not in an area where I can go out for a walk but I am starting a workout schedule so that should help burn a little time up. Any other members up late and what keeps you busy and away from snacking?

Rob

Replies

• esteeetee
    Options
    A brew and a *kitten* lol
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've heard people do coloring books.....I'm not patient enough :laugh:
    I will do puzzles (sudoku) and I paint (yes, I know what you're thinking...she's patient enough to paint but not to color?? It works for me, alright :wink: ) or I sew

Good luck!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'm a late night person, my preferred hobby is to get into the Shiraz and wind people on message boards.

It's a pathetic thing but it keeps me amused.

;)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just knowing I'm overeating will keep me from doing it. I don't eat if I'm not hungry anymore... except for an occasional dessert with coffee. But I don't do that late at night.
  • jensauce
    jensauce Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i either hop on the elliptical for ten minutes, or i play monopoly online...hahaha kinda lame but it's a distraction!
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    LOL I do the same thing! I respond here to keep my mind off things! :D
  • DewAddict
    Options
    Yeah that's a good way to describe it, a distraction is what I really need to find. I am online a lot but then I see an ad for some really good food and find myself wanting to eat it!! Figures the marketing ad tactics suck me in so easily. Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Enter sweepstakes! [That's what I do!]
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Battlefield 3 is making me forget to eat at the moment.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It's not a hobby but I curb my snacking at night by brushing my teeth and using mouthwash. I know if I try to eat anything after that (or at least for a while) it'll taste horrible.
  • DewAddict
    Options

Hahaha!! My computer is too weak to play it!! One day I will upgrade!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Hahaha!! My computer is too weak to play it!! One day I will upgrade!

BF2 kept me up late at nights for about 8 years (many servers still well-populated; game costs about £10). Before that BF1942. You could also try Eve Online but you'll probably end up forgetting to sleep, it's that addictive.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I do crochet, sewing and all other kinds of making crafts. I actually sell these things on Etsy and Facebook so make some money out of it too (not mega bucks but it's nice to have a few quid in my Paypal account).

I like to do things that take my concentration, like we collect pebble when at the beach so I wash these and then paint them. I make then in to cute little bees and ladybugs and then we use them for decoration in the garden.

I also like puzzles so buy puzzle books and do online puzzles and games. I read a lot too though and that passes time.

I also like to learn things. I had a crap history teacher at school so know absolutely nothing about history. So I pick something from history and I research it online and read things about it and make notes for myself. Some might think its a waste of time but I find it genuinely interesting, learning new things, and this passes loads of time and I also feel smarter lol.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Take my dogs out for a late night walks down country lanes, across fields and through woods...
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I work out twice usually on my nights off. I play computer games, clean my house, read, and yes, sometimes I watch TV.
  • eatthepudding
    Options
    Sex.
  • charming169
    Options
    I just started going to a gym during that time at night. I also am into making hair bows. I figure if you keep your hands busy with a craft/activity, then you won't be able to use them to eat.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    i do crafts, it means I can't snack as i dont want to get grease etc on fabrics.
    you can always knit the missus/ kids a scarf for Xmas.
    Or theres quilting, tatting crochet etc.

I also like paper automata (where you cut out and glue paper to make automata)
    my next project is
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Make-Your-Working-Paper-Clock/dp/0060910666/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347006060&sr=8-1

(a working clock made out of paper)

you could lways try drawing, woodwork, sculpting playdough (anthing that uses the hands really)
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, but without the reason for staying up. Had a 500 calorie binge last night, feel terrible about it. I love the idea of knitting and doing crafts to counteract the binge, I will definitely be trying this!