Mexican

Options
So, I am going out to lunch on Saturday with some friends to this local mexican resturant that is sooo good. So I obviously know it's going to be impossible to stay with in my calories for that day. So I am trying to come up with some strategies on saving a few calories here and there. I usually get 1 hard taco and then 2 enchiladas. Im thinking that I will not get any sour cream :ohwell: and maybe no cheese:cry: on the taco. And then have a diet coke and water. Then there's the chips and salsa that they just throw down on the table right in front of you...I dont think I'll be able to resist those though. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    If you have been good the rest of the week there is nothing wrong with a 'cheat' meal. It could actually give your metabolism a boost if you have eaten low calorie for days. Just do your best to watch your portions. No sour cream is a good way to cut out extra calories, but there is no way I could cut out the cheese! Try not to fill up on too many chips and salsa, push them away. You will do fine.
  • s2481
    s2481 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I do mexican I get fajitas and limit the cheese and number of shells I eat but you can eat most of the protein and veggies and still be on track. If you're really set on your enchiladas the no cheese, sour cream is a good idea and add more salsa. Good luck! :)
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Way to think ahead!! I find myself doing that already after just one week with MFP!!!
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Way to think ahead!! I find myself doing that already after just one week with MFP!!!
  • vctkell
    vctkell Posts: 41
    Options
    You could try a soft chicken taco instead of hard shell, I always add more salsa. Really good.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    When I do mexican I get fajitas and limit the cheese and number of shells I eat but you can eat most of the protein and veggies and still be on track. If you're really set on your enchiladas the no cheese, sour cream is a good idea and add more salsa. Good luck! :)

oooo ive never had fajitas...i dont really try new things. Do you think fajitas would be a better choice?
  • carenloe
    Options
    I've gone the chicken fajita route and asked them not to bring out the extras (sour cream, cheese and guacamole) and then limited myself to shells. Best I can tell, I stayed within my calorie total for the day and it was pretty good.
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    do some exercise to counteract it? go to the gym - if you do already - do extra...

that's my theory - though puttin it into practice is difficult sometimes haha

i love mexican food! nachos! jalapenos!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    I've gone the chicken fajita route and asked them not to bring out the extras (sour cream, cheese and guacamole) and then limited myself to shells. Best I can tell, I stayed within my calorie total for the day and it was pretty good.

are shells better than the the tortillas
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options

are shells better than the the tortillas
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Most places have chicken tortilla soup...very good...ask for that first to avoid the chips
  • kimberlygo
    Options
    I am having this problem, too, actually, because I'm going to an amazing restaurant for my birthday on saturday night. Here is what I've decided in order to cut down on my cals without ruining the fun. I am going to try to work out a little extra that day to make up for the extra food.

1. No alcohol
    2. Stay away from anything with a shell (taco, burrito, etc). I'm getting a fish meal if possible. I saw they have grilled salmon w/ mango salsa on the menu
    3. They bring out chips, salsa and guac before your meal. I am going to put 15 chips on my plate and push the rest away.

Anyway, that's my plan. Hopefully it works.
  • erinbears
    Options
    I eat out at a Mexican restaurant every week. I usually share the salmon fajitas with my husband (chicken is fine too), skip the tortillas, and eat black beans instead of rice. I too eat a few chips but keep it to under 10 of those. To drink I always order the unsweetened ice tea. It goes well with the Mexican flavors. I always heap on the salsa. Ole!
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Mexican is my favorite!!! And I still allow myself to eat it once about every two weeks!! There is no way I could live without it!! I drink water or diet coke. Have minimal chips and salsa! (no cheese dip!!! i know that sucks!) I usually order something with shrimp in it. Shrimp and Chicken fajitas are the best!! and I don't even wrap them up in tortillas or wraps. I just dip it in salsa or pour salso over the meat and veggies and eat it right out of the pan!! Ofcourse a couple of wraps wouldn't be that bad though. Just stay away from too much cheese, sour cream, that green stuff(hate it!) and you will be fine!! See if you can check out the calories on stuff before you go! Have Fun!
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    This is 1 of my problems too! I LOVE Mexican food & I can't resist those chips! But eatting just a few of them loaded with salsa is fine. I usually get the shrimp fajitas because I love the shrimp, green peppers, and onions. Of course I love sour cream and cheese which is the worst part for you so I usually still have the cheese, but try to skip the sour cream (unless I'm making mexican at home and can use a small portion of fat free sour cream).

I think going with the tortilla is better than the shell because the shell is basically fried. When I eat the fajita's I try to fill up on the shrimp & veggies first and sometimes I'll eat 1 of the tortillas with it. Another option would be the taco salad because you can customize that how you want to, just don't eat the shell, avoid the sour cream and go with black beans instead of refried beans or rice.

Mexican is definitely one of those foods that are hard to resist! If you end up eatting what you originally planned or have sour cream and cheese or more chips then you intended I would just suggest working out a little bit extra each day of the week, especially that day. And then don't feel too guilty about it, just do better the rest of the week. It's your cheat meal and thats fine to do once in awhile. Good luck & keep us posted on how it goes
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    all great ideas for minimizing the calorie impact. My daughter works at a mexican restaurant so I eat there some - My strategy with the chips is to break each chip into 3-4 pieces and dip each piece in salsa separately - takes longer to eat the one chip so I spread out the eating time and am satisfied with just a few chips. Also the food is very high in sodium, so to prevent water retention - drink a LOT of water before and after.
  • s2481
    s2481 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

oooo ive never had fajitas...i dont really try new things. Do you think fajitas would be a better choice?

Supposedly so, I've been told by diet places. haha They're really tasty too!