Kettlebell

Options
2»

Replies

• jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I usually use a 35lb for singles and two 25's for the doubles. I am not in great shape at all yet.
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells! Do a google on kettlebell workout videos. CrossFit also use kettlebell workouts.
  • Depictureboy
    Depictureboy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    An average woman would want to start with 15-20 lbs, a stronger woman possibly 25 lbs. I think 25 lbs is generally the starting average male weight.

I wouldn't recommend that...did some research, found that 7lbs was a good starting weight.
    Especially for someone like me just getting back into things, & having never done a workout of this sort before.
    As sore as everything was after that first session, I think I made the right choice.
    An average person starting with 25 lbs is begging for an injury.

Sorry, You are wrong. Maybe if you have an injury you should start that light, but most reputable kettlebell sites and certified instructors recommend the 18lb women 25 lb male starting weights. And actually I think pavel recommends 35 starting for men. Maybe you misread or there was a typo. I looked it up and 7kilos is about 15 lbs which could be ok for starting women.
  • ScorpionReaver
    Options
    I'm not WRONG just because I have a different opinion, or maybe different goals.

I also have no idea who "pavel" is.
    I saw some Mahler bloke saying "a good, fit man should start with a 53lb kettlebell". I'm neither good nor fit hahaha if I was, I wouldn't be here.
    Besides, I'm doing the workout with the main goal of weight loss.
    Higher reps, lower weight, any of this sound familiar?

I would suggest anyone that is just getting STARTED with this look up/research/consult trainers before attempting a workout, and not take the word of a bunch of strangers on some forums :)
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    hi I have started today using KB i have a 8kg, 12kg and 16kg set. i use the 12 for lower body and the 8 for swing and presses.

Dragonsdoor and Pavels' work are good starting points for anyone who is interested in working with KBs
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My instructor said start with 5 lb kettle bells until you have the form down. Form is more important than anything. Women should increase to 10 lbs, but unless they want to really bulk up they shouldn't go higher than 15. It's the exercises that you do that are key. The more muscle groups used during the exercise the better the results. Build everything up slowly.

My sister started this way and has had awesome success. I'm starting on this soon.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My instructor said start with 5 lb kettle bells until you have the form down. Form is more important than anything. Women should increase to 10 lbs, but unless they want to really bulk up they shouldn't go higher than 15. It's the exercises that you do that are key. The more muscle groups used during the exercise the better the results. Build everything up slowly.

My sister started this way and has had awesome success. I'm starting on this soon.

Ok, I'm going to say that your instructor is full of crap and giving you bad advice. I know plenty of fit women doing 35 lbs and they are far from bulky. Artofstrength.com has some videos of very non-bulky women doing 70 lb kettlebells. The common advice though is that there is a point of diminishing returns in weight of KBs and 35 lbs will do most fit women nicely.

The only reason someone would start at less than 15 lbs is due to incredible muscle weakness. If you are using less than 15, you are most likely treating kettlebells like an arm workout. Using light weights actually makes it harder, I think. Kettlebells are really using your legs and a lighter weight encourages bad form.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

I also have no idea who "pavel" is.

I would suggest anyone that is just getting STARTED with this look up/research/consult trainers before attempting a workout, and not take the word of a bunch of strangers on some forums :)

pavel tsatsouline is pretty much single handedly responsible for the popularity of kettle bells and kettlebell training.

If you want to continue to use KB, you have to know who he is and read his work at some point. His books/teachings on kettlebell training are the industry standard everyone else works to.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pavel+tsatsouline
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    also check out "kettlebells for Dummies" has very good descriptions of good form and also how to fix your issues
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting back into fitness. I have been taking kb classes 4-5x a week for about 6 weeks now. I am hooked for sure.

Concentrate on form, it's vital. My instructor says it takes around 1000 swings to get it down so have patience.

Hendrix7 is correct about Pavel. There's some good material out there if you find yourself really digging it.

And to the person who's trainer said not to go heavier for fear of getting bulky, absolutely dead wrong. Sounds like he/she isn't certified in kb.

Feel free to add me if anyone wants to dork out over routines and personal records.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Ok, I'm going to say that your instructor is full of crap and giving you bad advice. I know plenty of fit women doing 35 lbs and they are far from bulky. Artofstrength.com has some videos of very non-bulky women doing 70 lb kettlebells. The common advice though is that there is a point of diminishing returns in weight of KBs and 35 lbs will do most fit women nicely.

The only reason someone would start at less than 15 lbs is due to incredible muscle weakness. If you are using less than 15, you are most likely treating kettlebells like an arm workout. Using light weights actually makes it harder, I think. Kettlebells are really using your legs and a lighter weight encourages bad form.

Umm...that's a bit presumptuous. Everybody is different and should start at a weight that they can comfortably handle and then move up once they've ready. I will fully admit that I don't have the greatest upper body strength, but I am in good shape and certainly wouldn't classify myself as having 'incredible muscle weakness'. I started with the 10lb. kettlebell and just recently moved up to the 15lb. one. I'm struggling a bit to keep proper form with the new heavier weight.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options

Umm...that's a bit presumptuous. Everybody is different and should start at a weight that they can comfortably handle and then move up once they've ready. I will fully admit that I don't have the greatest upper body strength, but I am in good shape and certainly wouldn't classify myself as having 'incredible muscle weakness'. I started with the 10lb. kettlebell and just recently moved up to the 15lb. one. I'm struggling a bit to keep proper form with the new heavier weight.

The thing though is that if you are using upper body strength to swing a kettlebell, then your form needs to be checked. And by incredible muscle weakness, I would say those that require 3 lb dumbbells (and 5 lb are a challenge) to do any upper body exercise would fall into that category. Maybe I'm presuming the average woman is stronger than that but from what I've seen, most women have some upper body strength.

I've seen it with both men and women where they have trouble with a kettlebell weight and it seems to be a lot of improper form. Starting with a lower weight encourages the bad form.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well, as a girl with pitiful upper body strength (certain exercises using 5 pound dumbbells are in fact challenging for me lol), I'm fine with 20 lbs for swings and I still don't consider myself to be "in shape". I have a 10 pound bell as well but I only use that for presses. 10 pound swings feel like absolutely nothing is happening, I can't even imagine going lower than that, and I felt that way even after starting with kettlebells after being sedentary for months. I also don't see myself bulking up any time soon... there's no way any exercise using only 20 lbs is going to make someone bulk up. lol

Make sure your trainers are actually certified to teach with kettlebells. Otherwise they're about as trustworthy as strangers on the internet.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    Yeah, I was just giving an example. I had a friend who had very weak upper body strength and 3 lb dumbbells for any upper body movement was tough and overall, she just wasn't strong at all. I was thinking about someone like her. I have swung a 53 lb kettlebell and although I can do a few of them, I choose 25 lb ones. It isn't like I'm curling 50 lb dumbbells or anything, but since my legs are strong, it is doable.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well, as a girl with pitiful upper body strength (certain exercises using 5 pound dumbbells are in fact challenging for me lol), I'm fine with 20 lbs for swings and I still don't consider myself to be "in shape". I have a 10 pound bell as well but I only use that for presses. 10 pound swings feel like absolutely nothing is happening, I can't even imagine going lower than that, and I felt that way even after starting with kettlebells after being sedentary for months. I also don't see myself bulking up any time soon... there's no way any exercise using only 20 lbs is going to make someone bulk up. lol

Make sure your trainers are actually certified to teach with kettlebells. Otherwise they're about as trustworthy as strangers on the internet.

Sure, if we're talking swings - I don't have any problems doing 15lbs. with those (I could probably even use the 20lb. bell for those). I'm talking Turkish get-ups, clean & press,etc.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Replying partly so I can go back to the websites and names. I have heard of kb but if they are not an upper body workout what are they. Do they give a total body workout of more for core?
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    Replying partly so I can go back to the websites and names. I have heard of kb but if they are not an upper body workout what are they. Do they give a total body workout of more for core?

More of a total body workout. A lot of the work is actually in the legs.
  • Neets086
    Options
    Bump.. My trainer had me using KBs last year, but i am looking to get some to use at home... will def do some research on the websites you guys have mentioned :)