Wicked Carbs

Options
I have a story to tell. It's a true story. It goes like this:

Once upon a time, there lived a woman. This woman was just a normal woman, not diabetic, not sensitive to gluten, just a normal human being. Unfortunately, this woman was a little bit fat. She wanted to lose weight, so she started to using MFP and counting calories. She maintained a calorie deficit.

But then one day, this silly woman ate carbs. The carbs entered her digestive system. They were broken down into simple sugars like glucose. These simple sugars entered her blood stream, where the glucose did something down right dastardly.

The glucose signaled to the pancreas and the pancreas dumped a whole bunch of insulin into the blood stream. The glucose caused an insulin spike!

The insulin signaled to the cells within the body. It told the cells "Hey, we've got food here. Use it." The cells took the glucose inside and began breaking it down for energy.

The insulin ALSO signaled to the liver AND the fat cells and said "Hey, we've got food here. Let's put some of this away for later." And so the liver started storying glycogen. And so the fat cells started storing more fat.

If this were the end of the story, it would be very sad.

Luckily, it's not. You see, the woman was on a diet. And so, as the day went on, the glucose levels in her blood streamed dropped. When the glucose dropped, the insulin in the blood stream went away too. A fantastic new hormone took it's place. This hormone is called glucagon.

Now glucagon talked to the liver. It said, "Hey, we need more food. Start using those glycogen stores." And the liver did.

More time passed, and the fat cells also got the message. They started releasing fat so that it could be broken down into food for the hungry hungry cells.

More time passed and this lucky woman lost weight. Even while eating carbs. Because our bodies are cool like that.

P.S. The tone of this post is meant to be funny and educational. I've been reading a lot of children's books lately. But for the record, I am familiar with the theories and justifications for low carb. I don't subscribe to those theories because I think the anti-carb proponents zoom in on the details and forget the big picture. Insulin, leptin, glucagon, and all the other hormones out there work in concert to maintain homeostasis. Zooming in on just one of those is like saying the hand is the whole human body. So... my apologies in advance if anyone is offended.

Also for the record, I am NOT anti-low carb. If the diet works for you, great! I'm just against the idea that it's somehow superior because it doesn't cause insulin spikes.

Replies

• Irish_eyes75
    Options
    My head was about to explode...I thought seriously??? Another carbs are the devil thread?? This cannot be happening!
    But alas, a voice of reason emerged :-) Well played my friend, well played!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Best bedtime story ever! Glucagon is my hero!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Nice story, labrat :smile:
    Thanks
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You are a total rockstar!! One of the best posts I have seen.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Well done! You hit funny and educational. (So sad that you actually needed to explain that. It was fairly clear from your story.)
    Thank you for an easy to read explanation of the interplay of food and our bodies!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Awesome! :)
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Great post! I'm definately going to share.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I love your story Rebekah!! :)
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my carbs for medical reasons but that aside, I very much enjoyed your post!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Can you write one on the little carb that could? :bigsmile:
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Top Caliber post here! :drinker:
  • kbem90
    Options
    Awesome way to look t it!

I'm against anti carb diets too!

Low fat, high fibre and protein diets FTW!
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    You get an A+ on your assignment! =)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I love how you wrote this! :flowerforyou:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think the anti-carb proponents zoom in on the details and forget the big picture. Insulin, leptin, glucagon, and all the other hormones out there work in concert to maintain homeostasis. Zooming in on just one of those is like saying the hand is the whole human body.

But i have a rare medical condition that means my entire body is a hand.

Your post is invalid.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think the anti-carb proponents zoom in on the details and forget the big picture. Insulin, leptin, glucagon, and all the other hormones out there work in concert to maintain homeostasis. Zooming in on just one of those is like saying the hand is the whole human body.

Your post is invalid.

It's the story of a normal woman, not diabetic, not sensitive to gluten, just a normal human being. Not your story.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Your post is invalid.

It's the story of a normal woman, not diabetic, not sensitive to gluten, just a normal human being. Not your story.

Not sure if serious. My hand is upset
  • LMPMOM4
    Options
    I think I'm going to read this story to my children before bed tonight.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to find out what happens when she exercises
  • desemmerson
    Options
    I went low carb for about 2 months, I was ketogenic. I lost about 20lbs in this time.

At the same time I logged every single item I consumed in a similar fashion to MFP but manually

Guess what...

My weight loss was identical to the calorific deficit (I also accounted for exercise)

So I thought that I may as well just count calories, a friend showed me MFP and I started this about two weeks ago.

I have found that my weight closely agrees with MFP calculations.

One thing I did find was that as soon as I stopped restricting carbs my weight shot up by about 4lbs, I understand this is due to glycogen storage and its associated water. When I started low carb the reverse happened (lost a lot first few days).

My diet is much more fun and varied with carbs, but I dont touch refined carbs though. (except the ones in beer which deserve an exception)