Protein Help!

Options
I'm having trouble getting in my daily protein. Even when I had it set to 15% I was usually low and now I just upped it to 30%. It seems the only way I can get a good amount is to eat things like peanut butter and almonds, which also have a lot of fat...so now I'm going over on fat too. Now, if you look at the day I planned out, I know I'm eating full eggs...I've read that they contain good fats and it isn't as beneficial eating egg whites unless you have high cholesterol....but what other things could I throw in there or substitute to get more protein and less fat? I am kind of set on breakfast and dinner, but will change my lunch if you have good suggestions.

I have also been looking into getting protein powder to put in smoothies but no clue what brands are good or where to get them.

Replies

• Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Beef
    Chicken
    Greek yogurt
    Hard cheeses
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Tuna
    Turkey

My diary is public if you want a few food ideas. :flowerforyou:
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Do you eat meat?

Lean chicken, turkey, pork and ground beef
    Fish
    Greek Yogurt (low or nonfat)
    Cottage Cheese (low or nonfat)

I use the Pure Protein powder in vanilla sometimes. It's relatively inexpensive and is carried in both my supermarket and my Target. You don't only have to make smoothies with them--you can add the powder to many recipes to boost their protein as well. I tend to buy the vanilla because it tastes OK on its own and it's very easy to modify the flavor by adding fruit, coffee, nut butter, etc.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I picked up some unflavored protein powder that we mix into pancakes, muffins and quick breads to up the protein content of those normally low protein foods.
    Adding a single protein shake to your daily routine (~20g of protein) may also help you get in more.
    The other suggestions for food are great!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Beef
    Chicken
    Greek yogurt
    Hard cheeses
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Tuna
    Turkey

My diary is public if you want a few food ideas. :flowerforyou:

I do limit my meat intake...I'll eat chicken but I don't always have time to deal with turkey and the sodium is so high in the pre-packaged meats that I avoid it. I am slowly transitioning to all greek yogurt (by transitioning I mean I'm eating up the last of my normal yogurt in the fridge). I also can't eat fish or sea food at all. I'm allergic...which I should have mentioned. Someone also told me cottage cheese, but I have trouble with some dairy and that is one of the big ones. Also, what is considered a hard cheese?
  • akean81
    akean81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bacon, nuts, tofu, beans, beef jerkey
  • kimbuckewow
    kimbuckewow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    are you vegetarian? If so, sun warrior makes a great low sugar, low fat, high protien , protein powder. Expensive but very good source of protein with out all the added stuff. Beans and legumes are great too! Added bonus is that they are high in fiber too. most of us to not get even close to the right amount of fiber in a a day. Women need 25g. Most of us only get 12

Tempe is good as well
    spinach
    Options
    Tinned tuna in brine/spring water or prawns are a really good source of protein without the fat..........perhaps try a prawn or tuna salad or tortilla wrap for lunch?
  • jodil68
    jodil68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is your best bet. One scoop has 120 calories and 35 g of protein. Make sure you don't purchase one with added sugar. I add baby spinach and a few raspberries to mine everyday. Love it!
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I use a protein powder that has 50 grams of protein and 220 calories per seeving. I try to have this for breakfast most days and have just a waffle or something with it. I like to have chobani champions for snacks, which give you a little kick of protein. Morningstar farms has good lean protein options.
  • nickjnelly
    Options
    Cans of Tuna.. they are cheap and fast.

EAT EM UP!
  • ceajules
    Options
    I drink Vegan Shakeology in the morning also beans have alot of protein but I love my Shakeology its like dessert in a glass and its like going to the salad bar 5 times a day, send me a buddy request and I can send you more info if you like it also helped me with losing more weight having energy staying full